Could be Playing Golf by the end of March 2021.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In all fairness, If you look past the crazy and focus on just golf.

- Golf hasn't been linked to any outbreak.
- I can drive to the course and walk it with someone not in my household currently. Even with my bag! I just can't hit a ball.
- Scotland have been playing just fine. As above, because no outbreak has never been attributed to golf.
- There is absolutely no valid reason other than blanket policy, you can't play in singles or in households/bubble.

A Science based approach, would indicate that it's fine. Initially in lockdown v1 you had to exercise alone. Then from May 13th you were allowed to exercise with someone (as you can now) and golf, fishing, swimming in lakes + the sea and outdoor tennis opened up. What's changed this time? No data has been presented to back up the decision.

I agree golf is perfectly safe, personally I'd even have rakes etc as chances of touching it in the same place as someone with Covid then catching it yourself is so low.

However, whilst it's a science based approach there will also be factors like clarity of message that is key to making a lockdown effective so I can understand their approach of trying to simplify the message rather than give a raft of exemptions to the rules which press and public go to town over.

Whether that's correct or they've handled it well without confusion for the latest lockdown is another matter but I think it's easy to see a reason for their approach.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
However, whilst it's a science based approach there will also be factors like clarity of message that is key to making a lockdown effective so I can understand their approach of trying to simplify the message rather than give a raft of exemptions to the rules which press and public go to town over.

Whether that's correct or they've handled it well without confusion for the latest lockdown is another matter but I think it's easy to see a reason for their approach.

Fair point, I can definitely see the reason. The Media and the fake ignorance by sections of the public hasn't helped.

But to go against the data and ignore it because it's hard, isn't really acceptable when the compensation you offer to golf clubs whilst closed is no way near enough, businesses are dying.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

- I can drive to the course and walk it with someone not in my household currently. Even with my bag! I just can't hit a ball.
- Scotland have been playing just fine. As above, because no outbreak has never been attributed to golf.
- There is absolutely no valid reason other than blanket policy, you can't play in singles or in households/bubble.

A Science based approach, would indicate that it's fine. Initially in lockdown v1 you had to exercise alone. Then from May 13th you were allowed to exercise with someone (as you can now) and golf, fishing, swimming in lakes + the sea and outdoor tennis opened up. What's changed this time? No data has been presented to back up the decision.

Oh yeah I'd agree that golf is a COVID secure sport and could safely be played. I found it madness that I can walk the course with my friend, but not hit balls with a club! However, coming out with a "I'm going to do it anyway, I don't care" attitude is selfish and a mockery to what work the NHS have done and those who have tragically lost their lives.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Fair point, I can definitely see the reason. The Media and the fake ignorance by sections of the public hasn't helped.

But to go against the data and ignore it because it's hard, isn't really acceptable when the compensation you offer to golf clubs whilst closed is no way near enough, businesses are dying.

My mother in law is the secretary at a golf club up north whose course is generally unplayable from November to March anyway. She was saying that with a bumper summer last year and essentially being closed from November (with staff on furlough) their bank balance has never looked healthier, albeit it wasn't particularly healthy before.

Obviously this is one out of thousands of clubs but I'm sure they aren't alone. I

On the flip side, as you say, clubs that are true year round courses and now struggling to get membership fees in will be crippled by all this.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Using the Scotland example, and just taking travel, how far you you allow someone to travel to play golf in England if it were to open today - and how would you monitor/control it?

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Not at all but I can see schools (then further education) as the biggest areas to open being allowed to do so in isolation to ensure no dramatic rise numbers then everything else phased in after that. Golf, I suspect, will only be open when you are allowed a social mixing between households in a public open space and so when I can meet a friend in a part for a coffee and a chat, golf can continue.

Am I right on thinking that you can currently meet up with one other person from outside your house, to go for a walk in the local area? Eg, I could meet up with my mate, at my local golf course, and we could walk around our 18 holes with no question of breaking the law?

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Using the Scotland example, and just taking travel, how far you you allow someone to travel to play golf in England if it were to open today - and how would you monitor/control it?

Personal responsibility is how I'd monitor it, in the same way that's how we're monitoring if people actually have to be in work to carry out duties, exercised just once a day, not seen someone in a house who isn't in a bubble. Yes, police are there to break up the big events but everything else is up to the public as a whole. I don't think golf clubs need to do anything extra.

I don't think the mileage is that big an issue if you've closed clubhouses so not mixing, but perhaps 10-15 miles.

Anyway, probably passed that point now which is fine, and instead it will be what happens on Monday with the road map.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
My mother in law is the secretary at a golf club up north whose course is generally unplayable from November to March anyway. She was saying that with a bumper summer last year and essentially being closed from November (with staff on furlough) their bank balance has never looked healthier, albeit it wasn't particularly healthy before.

Obviously this is one out of thousands of clubs but I'm sure they aren't alone. I

On the flip side, as you say, clubs that are true year round courses and now struggling to get membership fees in will be crippled by all this.
That sounds like my club.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Am I right on thinking that you can currently meet up with one other person from outside your house, to go for a walk in the local area? Eg, I could meet up with my mate, at my local golf course, and we could walk around our 18 holes with no question of breaking the law?

Yes you could. Just not with clubs and balls.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It's the usual thinking of the privileged, the why me / why my sport brigade.

Pretty much every sport, be it golf, footy, tennis, under water basket weaving, insert sport of choice, can make claims, probably valid, for a reintroduction. So can loads of other hobbies.

Throughout the many lock downs, lots of people have used confusion as an excuse to do things they are not allowed to do.

This time, the message was clearer. No sports activities. You can meet one other person, outside, for exercise (walking or running). It's simple. It's not hard to understand. People are still confused, so it isn't simple enough, apparently.

I can see why they have done this, and whining isn't going to make a difference.

The only odd part in my view was fishing. It's probably safe as, but separating out fishing only caused jealousy among other sports activities.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

Yes you can walk around your course but as golf is not permitted and courses are closed to golf that is all that you can do.

Mandofred

Visit site

Pretty much every sport, be it golf, footy, tennis, under water basket weaving, insert sport of choice, can make claims, probably valid, for a reintroduction. So can loads of other hobbies.

Throughout the many lock downs, lots of people have used confusion as an excuse to do things they are not allowed to do.

This time, the message was clearer. No sports activities. You can meet one other person, outside, for exercise (walking or running). It's simple. It's not hard to understand. People are still confused, so it isn't simple enough, apparently.

I can see why they have done this, and whining isn't going to make a difference.

The only odd part in my view was fishing. It's probably safe as, but separating out fishing only caused jealousy among other sports activities.
Privileged (in this country or other countries)...as in football being played, skiing, tennis, golf, track and field, sailing etc....but only if you are really good at it. :unsure:

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

I’m a member of a small club and after our clubhouse being closed which generated quite a bit of money to the club it was a concern for our club.

During last year after lockdown we had more of the younger members playing in competitions which generated a lot of income, so our finances haven’t really been affected

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site

I assume you have been financially stable throughout this. Maybe Happily WFH or retired?

These extra months will have sent golf courses under. Because it's easier, is not acceptable. These are peoples livelihoods.

D

Deleted member 15344

Privileged (in this country or other countries)...as in football being played, skiing, tennis, golf, track and field, sailing etc....but only if you are really good at it. :unsure:

Or the only sports that are bejng played are the “professional” and elite sports where it’s peoples jobs to allow them to get paid and where those sports can provide the safe environment which includes very expensive testing on a daily basis

Would you be ok for golf courses to be open but you have to provide a negative test every day paid by yourself to allow to play

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site

I can see why they went with a blanket ban, but it doesn't make it the right move. Now usually with golf acting superior to other sports, I would agree... But not in this case. As already highlighted earlier, I could walk around a course local to me with a mate, even carrying clubs and balls, and not be breaking the law. It only becomes illegal if we were to start hitting golf balls. That is quite nonsensical, though as said, I do understand the simplicity of banning all sports.

As for 'all sports have valid claims for reintroduction'... No. Any sport where physical contact is inherent, really doesn't have a valid claim at this current time. That straight away rules out football and rugby, and probably a heck of a lot more too.

And to be honest, I don't think there is too much whining on here. More discussion about how golf can be played safely, despite the current situation.