Could be Playing Golf by the end of March 2021.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can see why they went with a blanket ban, but it doesn't make it the right move. Now usually with golf acting superior to other sports, I would agree... But not in this case. As already highlighted earlier, I could walk around a course local to me with a mate, even carrying clubs and balls, and not be breaking the law. It only becomes illegal if we were to start hitting golf balls. That is quite nonsensical, though as said, I do understand the simplicity of banning all sports.

As for 'all sports have valid claims for reintroduction'... No. Any sport where physical contact is inherent, really doesn't have a valid claim at this current time. That straight away rules out football and rugby, and probably a heck of a lot more too.

And to be honest, I don't think there is too much whining on here. More discussion about how golf can be played safely, despite the current situation.

The problem is that, after the first lockdown, golfers did not exactly cover themselves in glory (I know, probably isolated incidents but enough to turn heads). 2 balls joining up as 4 balls after the first hole, groups meeting before the round to arrange roll ups, balls going in the hat etc, Takeaway food eaten outside the clubhouse in groups having a chat, groups eating the takeaway in the car park drinking cans of beer, general poor adherence to social distancing and other rules amongst YouTube golfers, group pictures on social media after rounds, people travelling tens of miles to find a round on a course that would accept visitors. The list goes on and maybe people are not naive enough this time to think that golfers will play the perfectly behaved, socially distanced 2 balls that the promised last time.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I think that the 6 weeks sounds about right. At the time of that post, it was a week until the announcement, 3 weeks until schools go back and then a period of a few weeks to see the impact of schools on the numbers as this can, this time, be viewed in isolation and, if the figures remain OK, and announcement for a return to golf. End of March, first week in April sounds reasonable.
My club is assuming some degree of reopening from 1st April as it has made its financial projection for the coming year assuming a small bar/food/shop income from then. But only a small amount so little risk to finances if it doesn’t happen.

Mandofred

Visit site
Or the only sports that are bejng played are the “professional” and elite sports where it’s peoples jobs to allow them to get paid and where those sports can provide the safe environment which includes very expensive testing on a daily basis

Would you be ok for golf courses to be open but you have to provide a negative test every day paid by yourself to allow to play
My point being...which you missed....is the "privileged" part. Again....unless you are privileged, you can't do them. These people get extra benefits that normal people don't get.....as in privileged.

If it was easy enough to do (and it will be for the privileged), I'd pay a little to be easily tested.....yes. But....for normal people it isn't made easy, but I tend to think for the privileged it will be done for them.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
My club is assuming some degree of reopening from 1st April as it has made its financial projection for the coming year assuming a small bar/food/shop income from then. But only a small amount so little risk to finances if it doesn’t happen.

That is going to be interesting. Keep things locked down tight until after Easter to try and avoid people going a bit mad over the bank holiday and breaking the rules or allow a bit of freedom and hope for some common sense. Good luck to those trying to get a tee time that weekend if it is only 2 balls.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That is going to be interesting. Keep things locked down tight until after Easter to try and avoid people going a bit mad over the bank holiday and breaking the rules or allow a bit of freedom and hope for some common sense. Good luck to those trying to get a tee time that weekend if it is only 2 balls.

Especially if you’re not a member of golf club.....

Hercules

Visit site
"Do a little research yourself" is mainly the motto of the most stupid, selfish, conspiracy retards.

Their "research" consists of finding mainly baseless articles on the Internet and cherry picking even more baseless soundbites and repeating them til they all believe the rubbish.

Frankly, the majority of the population are sick and tired of this kind of idiot.

Stay at home, obey the rules, let people with brains get us through this.

Then move to Antarctica.

So you speak for the majority do you?
Obviously your research consists of watching the BBC and then using the conspiracy word for anyone who doesn't agree with you.
I wish that we did have some people with brains getting us through this! If we did we would still be playing golf.

D

Deleted member 15344

My point being...which you missed....is the "privileged" part. Again....unless you are privileged, you can't do them. These people get extra benefits that normal people don't get.....as in privileged.

If it was easy enough to do (and it will be for the privileged), I'd pay a little to be easily tested.....yes. But....for normal people it isn't made easy, but I tend to think for the privileged it will be done for them.

It’s nothing to do with being “privilaged” - it’s their job , that’s why they are being allowed to continue to play for them to earn money , it’s professional sports not “privileged” sports

You cannot compare us to professional sports - we don’t rely on the sport to put food on the table , golf or indeed any sport stopping doesnt stop us from paying the mortgage.

It’s not about a professional sportsman being privileged it’s about them continue to earn a living

Which golf clubs have gone under.....

The local council are planning to close Stockwood Park near Luton because of the lockdown and the loss of income

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
When reopening after the first lockdown with two balls only and ten mins tee times, my club applied strict limits on the number of rounds any one individual could play in a rolling week (at first it might only have been one weekend slot, maybe two weekday times - I can’t recall exactly) and strongly encouraged those who could play during ’weekdays’ to do so and not book a weekend slot - leaving these available for weekend-only members.

Plus no visitors, societies or members guests.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So you speak for the majority do you?
Obviously your research consists of watching the BBC and then using the conspiracy word for anyone who doesn't agree with you.
I wish that we did have some people with brains getting us through this! If we did we would still be playing golf.
You’ll find that you’ll get the same information from ITN, Sky, Channel 4, LBC and the majority if not all of the press. Not quite sure why you chose to point the finger at the BBC. In your world they are all equally at fault.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Unless you are a Teaching pro or a grounds person. Or related to the maintenance and upkeep of machinery.

Fitness coaches are fine tho as long as it's outside.

Quite a few have gone up for sale for land.
Teaching pros (well golf ones anyway) are not working...

Mandofred

Visit site
It’s nothing to do with being “privilaged” - it’s their job , that’s why they are being allowed to continue to play for them to earn money , it’s professional sports not “privileged” sports

You cannot compare us to professional sports - we don’t rely on the sport to put food on the table , golf or indeed any sport stopping doesnt stop us from paying the mortgage.

It’s not about a professional sportsman being privileged it’s about them continue to earn a living
So, let me get this straight.....the lockdown is an effort to keep people from moving about and spreading the virus. But professionals aren't privileged and are allowed to move about because this is how they make money? Not privileged? How many people aren't allowed to make money in their jobs because of lockdown? But professional sports people are allowed....and you don't think they are privileged?

D

Deleted member 15344

Is that the same as going under? I would argue the majority of clubs are in a no worse than expected position of 12 months ago and certainly far in excess of their projections during the last year.....

All depends on the club and the financial model of the club

Also how well the members have support the club

But Covid has caused some clubs to be in trouble

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....osures-confirmed-uk-during-covid-lockdown?amp

https://www.thegolfbusiness.co.uk/2...-now-closed-down-permanently-due-to-covid-19/

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Teaching pros (well golf ones anyway) are not working...

Which may stop them paying their mortgage...

Is that the same as going under? I would argue the majority of clubs are in a no worse than expected position of 12 months ago

We'll use, "no longer financially viable".

I highly doubt that. No Visitors or Societies for 5 months, No bar for most of the year. It must add up substantially.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Which may stop them paying their mortgage...

We'll use, "no longer financially viable".

I highly doubt that. No Visitors or Societies for 5 months, No bar for most of the year. It must add up substantially.

And not being able to furlough most of the greenkeepers