Could be Playing Golf by the end of March 2021.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Appreciate that Premier League football is effectively in a bubble with daily testing minimising the risk. However, I know that a live game on Sky involves over 400 people working in the stadium. I am not sure if they are all tested in the same way, but they certainly won't be in an exclusive bubble.

What did annoy me though was the statements around Lampard's replacement, Tuchel, at Chelsea. Flying in from Germany it was reported that because of the testing and bubbles in place that he would join, he did not need to isolate in the same way that a traveler from Germany would need to do.

What I found was staggering was that the FA gave that approval, not the Government. What authority does the FA have to make such a call. It's things like that which might justify the "privilege" label discussed earlier.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Appreciate that Premier League football is effectively in a bubble with daily testing minimising the risk. However, I know that a live game on Sky involves over 400 people working in the stadium. I am not sure if they are all tested in the same way, but they certainly won't be in an exclusive bubble.

What did annoy me though was the statements around Lampard's replacement, Tuchel, at Chelsea. Flying in from Germany it was reported that because of the testing and bubbles in place that he would join, he did not need to isolate in the same way that a traveler from Germany would need to do.

What I found was staggering was that the FA gave that approval, not the Government. What authority does the FA have to make such a call. It's things like that which might justify the "privilege" label discussed earlier.
I've just checked and English premier League players are tested twice a week not daily (it was once a week when the season started) - it's not a bubble (they go home - a bubble is when you don't come into contact with anyone outside the bubble - as in the NBA play offs last summer).

Journalists, photographers and TV crew aren't generally covid tested (there may be odd exceptions for those who come into contact with playing and coaching staff for TV) - I certainly don't get tested apart from a temperature check on entering the stadium when I'm photographing games.

D-S

Visit site
That can only be a good thing for pay and play courses though, even as a nomad I don’t see that as a bad thing.
Pay and play courses will desperately need this revenue.
Members clubs with few visitors and low level bar catering will have done pretty well this winter as their expenditure on catering and maybe some admin wages will be vastly reduced due to furloughed staff, however income will only be slightly down as members guests, visitors and socitety revenue is minuscule in the winter months. Pay and play clubs have lost all their golf revenue as no one is paying to play and they have not had any subscription income to tide them over, a lot of these operations have money making catering as well so they are not benefitting from the expected profit from these areas. The past 12 months have been good for members clubs (the more subscription % versus green fees/ catering income the better) but no amount of the busy mid May-October period can make up for the green fee revenue for the 6 weeks in Lockdown 1 plus 4 weeks lockdown 2 plus 10(?) weeks lockdown 3 that pay and play businesses have lost.

Boomy

Visit site
Hopefully we’ll find out on Monday ? but I’m hearing whispers of the 8th March... it’ll be like a rugby scrum trying to get a tee time ?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
If the reports are correct about 2 households being able to meet outside from Easter, that sounds like when golf will start as 2 balls

TheUnwashed

Visit site
If the reports are correct about 2 households being able to meet outside from Easter, that sounds like when golf will start as 2 balls

Having had the nudge through work re this I can’t see golf pre-Easter being allowed at all. I’m not denying COVID is serious for those who are vulnerable but this notion of shutting down to deal with a virus is absurd.

3 people in the last fortnight I’m acquainted with have required professional help due to suicide risk and they’re working from home. A relative who is a GP has dealt with more mental health/suicide related cases in the last month that the last 10 years!

Voluntary/compulsory shielding and financial support for those requiring it I’m fine with until they’re vaccinated. Everybody else gets on with life and herd immunity is achieved in a similar vein to what India has achieved.

I had it myself in early 2020 and felt rough for 5 days. Still showed antibodies in December and only caught it due to a an unnamed London University function I had to attend as a speaker. 20% of those students had come in from China and a lot of people caught it from this event. Bottom line was NOBODY got any sicker than a normal winter virus. There were plenty of ‘vulnerable’ people in attendance.

You will always get the bleating of ‘selfish’, ‘stupid’, ‘covidiot’, etc. but a line must be drawn. We will live with this forever and nature has its own mechanisms for dealing with an excess of any species. Our arrogance to think we can deny nature will elongate this pandemic by years. Spanish flu lasted 2 years and nature ran its course. The way we are going about Covid we’ll make it a human catastrophe for 30 years and reduce lifespan inordinately by making people utterly unfit and negating their immune systems via isolation.

When the adult discussion starts and proper virologists like Sunetra Gupta do not have their very credible input ignored/suppressed, we may stand a chance of moving on from this medieval and perpetually cyclical attempts and containing transmission. Unfortunately, the tactic of ignoring/suppressing coverage of any conflicting views existing has been embraced by government and is being very effectively shored up by the media.

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Having had the nudge through work re this I can’t see golf pre-Easter being allowed at all. I’m not denying COVID is serious for those who are vulnerable but this notion of shutting down to deal with a virus is absurd.

3 people in the last fortnight I’m acquainted with have required professional help due to suicide risk and they’re working from home. A relative who is a GP has dealt with more mental health/suicide related cases in the last month that the last 10 years!

Voluntary/compulsory shielding and financial support for those requiring it I’m fine with until they’re vaccinated. Everybody else gets on with life and herd immunity is achieved in a similar vein to what India has achieved.

I had it myself in early 2020 and felt rough for 5 days. Still showed antibodies in December and only caught it due to a an unnamed London University function I had to attend as a speaker. 20% of those students had come in from China and a lot of people caught it from this event. Bottom line was NOBODY got any sicker than a normal winter virus. There were plenty of ‘vulnerable’ people in attendance.

You will always get the bleating of ‘selfish’, ‘stupid’, ‘covidiot’, etc. but a line must be drawn. We will live with this forever and nature has its own mechanisms for dealing with an excess of any species. Our arrogance to think we can deny nature will elongate this pandemic by years. Spanish flu lasted 2 years and nature ran its course. The way we are going about Covid we’ll make it a human catastrophe for 30 years and reduce lifespan inordinately by making people utterly unfit and negating their immune systems via isolation.

When the adult discussion starts and proper virologists like Sunetra Gupta do not have their very credible input ignored/suppressed, we may stand a chance of moving on from this medieval and perpetually cyclical attempts and containing transmission. Unfortunately, the tactic of ignoring/suppressing coverage of any conflicting views existing has been embraced by government and is being very effectively shored up by the media.

Welcome to the forum. Where do you play golf?

TheUnwashed

Visit site
Welcome to the forum. Where do you play golf?
Thanks, more like welcome back! Old account went with the old server by the looks of things.

I play in East Sussex but shall cease to be a member come 1st April. The club has done ridiculously well and given nothing back to the members above than abuse to those who dare ask about redress.

D

Deleted member 15344

That makes it another 6/7 weeks before being allowed as just a 2 ball or even people outside meeting others - that would make the restrictions longer than last time but we have vaccines in place.

I will be amazed if that’s the case , can understand the need for caution but the easing of the lockdown last May didn’t cause issues

I can still see golf in two balls from either 8th or 15th and then 4 balls from Easter

but all the “reports” are right now pure speculation and this time the government appear to be keeping things under wraps when normally there are leaks - we may hear more on Monday.

But if it is still restrictions until after Easter then it’s going to be kick in the teeth for a lot of people

D

Deleted member 18588

I have it on good authority that the golf ban will be lifted at 8.00 am, 11th March.

Well, actually I made that up, but isn't that what everybody else is doing?
I heard that it was 7.30 am.

But that might be from someone who is wanting sneak out ahead of the field ?

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I'm confused, under current restrictions can't you already meet one person from one other household? So why all this talk about meeting other households outside, or is it the old rule of six that is being rumoured by Easter?

Either way current restrictions would allow a mixed household 2-ball so logic would say that there would be no need to extend the ban to easter anyway.

However, logic isn't something that has been particularly prevalent in the past year or so.

TheUnwashed

Visit site
Do you work in the Government or SAGE......?

No, I don’t thankfully. I have the dubious pleasure of communicating with them and I’d have more success teaching a fish to climb a tree. Closed minded, biased and incapable of a holistic perspective is an understatement.