Could be Playing Golf by the end of March 2021.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
The whole damn thing had been a unorganised mess from the very start. Inconsistencies with everything, and that's been the root of all the unrest. We all know what these have been and they are well documented on here.

The biggest problem is that we are not in charge. And have to do what we are allowed to do and nothing more. All we can do is hope that a bit of common sense is applied, but again as we know, this has been distinctly lacking, and outdoor sport will be allowed, with restrictions, when the schools open. That's what I think will happen.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
The whole damn thing had been a unorganised mess from the very start. Inconsistencies with everything, and that's been the root of all the unrest. We all know what these have been and they are well documented on here.

The biggest problem is that we are not in charge. And have to do what we are allowed to do and nothing more. All we can do is hope that a bit of common sense is applied, but again as we know, this has been distinctly lacking, and outdoor sport will be allowed, with restrictions, when the schools open. That's what I think will happen.

We are trying to tackle something that we've not seen before. Not only that, but the virus keeps changing the rules by mutating at will.
How would you have organised things WITHOUT the benefit of hindsight?

D

Deleted member 3432

Glad I play on a links when we get started again, just been out for a walk in full Goretex and the river a few hundreds yards from my house has risen about 5 feet in the last 36 hours.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I love the BBC me.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55931181

Just in case you can't be bothered to open the link

UK Covid lockdown easing: A No 10 'priority' is to allow more social contact

Would be great if could get in before end of march

Had a rubbish birthday last year with lockdown starting that week, started nights to a special service which is hard work as no timetable installed on the computers so have to do it manually which at close of traffic is a nightmare and to top all off the Indian sent me the wrong curry lol

If could play golf on my bday id be happy!

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Would be great if could get in before end of march

Had a rubbish birthday last year with lockdown starting that week, started nights to a special service which is hard work as no timetable installed on the computers so have to do it manually which at close of traffic is a nightmare and to top all off the Indian sent me the wrong curry lol

If could play golf on my bday id be happy!
Even better if it is next week.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Even better if it is next week.

I can almost put my house on it being not this week

Schools will be first and they won't be before 8th march because they were promised 2 weeks notice which is 8th from the 22nd Feb

So has to be after that

Id be impressed and surprised if it was 8th march for golf

I'd be happy with 15th

But think 22nd is the likely date .. ease restrictions a bit then to hide the fact it will have been a year the day later!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What do you do?

Signal / control the Northern line. The signalling is the most advanced on the network (with the jubilee as they have same system) which is fine so long as a timetable is loaded

Problem is when their is no timetable and it's and emergency special 50 train instead of 80 train service it runs ok during day but there some outdated stupid rules for nights with last trains .. to protect track workers .. so you have to get last trains to the correct time table number even though your not running one

Night starts at 9pm. Last trains leave at midnight to reach the end of line

If the plan for them wasn't sorted by 9:45pm we wouldn't have the correct drivers at the correct depots at the end of the day

Basically 45 mins mad rush each night .. easier once your used to it but first few nights were proper awful

I found a work around of inserting runs into the system so each train would do exactly what required but problem is because it's not a timetable it wipes at 3am .. meaning next night do it all again

Then the morning everything coming out with no timetable needs manually routing, just adds unessential delays

If we could just have had a reduce covid timetable would have been fine

Will just add the rule is only outdated because nobody watches last train numbers leave anymore they have to call us to check it's gone.. so it's just an old rule we have to obey even tho we dont use it

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cool, I'm looking at getting into that, not in London, when I leave this job.

Well I hope you can play on your birthday as I'm on leave for 2 weeks from 15th March ?

Shame not in London because we have recruited ex forces (I get the impression you are currently?) in the past and in my humble opion they are level best at our job along with ex apprentices because they used to adapting fast .. we have 33 in my grade on my line a 3rd ex forces 3rd normal promotions and 3rd like myself ex apprentices who have studied it since 16 so basically bread and butter .. the forces lot are incredibly easy to adapt imo. One the best is ex forces air traffic control because apparently the skill set is the same

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

The only inconsistencies are the people that don’t want to hear what the rules are as it doesn’t suit them......

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
The only inconsistencies are the people that don’t want to hear what the rules are as it doesn’t suit them......

Inconsistencies like pro sports allowed, amateur not. Why? And that's the one we're interested in, but there have been loads of others.
As for hindsight, another post, I'd have shut boarders as soon as covid reached Europe.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Thread is starting to veer towards political comment.

We all want to get back to playing as soon as possible and we should get an indication tomorrow when the road map is released.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Data on the number of Covid-19 cases is now so encouraging that outdoor sports for children and small numbers of adults should be allowed immediately as part of an accelerated easing of the lockdown, a leading scientist and adviser to government has told the Observer.
With the prime minister expected to take a cautious approach to lifting restrictions in a statement to the House of Commons on Monday, Prof Mark Woolhouse of Edinburgh University, whose work feeds into the Sage committee’s sub-group Spi-M, said the data showed there was no need for the government to be “ultra-cautious”.

“The government has said the country’s exit from lockdown should be data-driven. Well, the data is extremely good, far better than anyone, including me, anticipated two or three weeks ago,” said Woolhouse. “Hospitalisations, deaths, and case numbers have all plunged while vaccinations have already reached a quarter of the adult population.
Advertisement

“The corollary is that if we plan to ease lockdown in a data-driven way, we should right now be looking at starting the process of coming out of lockdown earlier than we were thinking about two or three weeks ago. The data drive has to go both ways.”
His comments came as the prime minister prepared to announce a new target to give all adults a first dose of the vaccine by the end of July. Plans to offer a first dose to all adults over 50 will also be brought forward two weeks to 15 April.
Woolhouse also pointed out that the proportion of Covid infections occurring outside is extremely low. “Studies suggest that one in 100 is a high figure. Others suggest it is more like one in 1,000 or one in 10,000,” he added.
“This virus very rarely transmits outdoors. So, quite honestly, outdoor activities that don’t involve close physical contact could be adopted now. That is not an argument to say we can have crowds back at football matches. But sports involving small numbers of players or sports for children: they could start perfectly safely today.”

- from today's Observer. Adds more weight to the case for an early resumption.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Data on the number of Covid-19 cases is now so encouraging that outdoor sports for children and small numbers of adults should be allowed immediately as part of an accelerated easing of the lockdown, a leading scientist and adviser to government has told the Observer.
With the prime minister expected to take a cautious approach to lifting restrictions in a statement to the House of Commons on Monday, Prof Mark Woolhouse of Edinburgh University, whose work feeds into the Sage committee’s sub-group Spi-M, said the data showed there was no need for the government to be “ultra-cautious”.

“The government has said the country’s exit from lockdown should be data-driven. Well, the data is extremely good, far better than anyone, including me, anticipated two or three weeks ago,” said Woolhouse. “Hospitalisations, deaths, and case numbers have all plunged while vaccinations have already reached a quarter of the adult population.
Advertisement

“The corollary is that if we plan to ease lockdown in a data-driven way, we should right now be looking at starting the process of coming out of lockdown earlier than we were thinking about two or three weeks ago. The data drive has to go both ways.”
His comments came as the prime minister prepared to announce a new target to give all adults a first dose of the vaccine by the end of July. Plans to offer a first dose to all adults over 50 will also be brought forward two weeks to 15 April.
Woolhouse also pointed out that the proportion of Covid infections occurring outside is extremely low. “Studies suggest that one in 100 is a high figure. Others suggest it is more like one in 1,000 or one in 10,000,” he added.
“This virus very rarely transmits outdoors. So, quite honestly, outdoor activities that don’t involve close physical contact could be adopted now. That is not an argument to say we can have crowds back at football matches. But sports involving small numbers of players or sports for children: they could start perfectly safely today.”

- from today's Observer. Adds more weight to the case for an early resumption.
Better clean my clubs then....(y)

Boomy

Visit site
I really hope it is March ?? I’ve had the misfortune of reading The Sun on Sunday this morning and they appear to be reporting outdoor sports starting April’ish!