Could be Playing Golf by the end of March 2021.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
As government prepares to present its road map out of restrictions on 22 February, England Golf CEO Jeremy Tomlinson has written an open letter to the prime minister to reinforce the scientific view that golf can not only be played safely during the first phase of recovery, but also help the country bounce back physically and mentally from lockdown.

Dear Prime Minister,
The light at the end of the tunnel is definitely shining a little brighter for us all as we emerge from the dark, winter months of January and February.
For that we should all be truly thankful.
And, very much in line with most people, I genuinely hope we can soon banish the harmful cycle of lockdowns once and for all.
I understand you will announce more details on this front next Monday when you present a road map out of lockdown and back towards some sort of normality.
Now, as you consider easing restrictions, I truly believe our great game of golf is exceptionally well placed to play a positive role in this first phase of recovery and should be given that opportunity by government.
Today’s confirmation that over 15 million people have received their first vaccination jab is just the shot in the arm we all needed!
Combined with the rate of transmission slowing to the point where the ‘R’ number is below one, there are real signs that our sacrifices over recent times have paid off and our continued social distancing efforts will allow more interaction and freedoms in the future.
We all owe a huge debt of gratitude to the NHS staff, army medics and volunteers who have rolled out the vaccination programme to such great effect – heroes one and all.
But now we need to look ahead – to find a way to re-energise the nation through a programme of safe activity and exercise to lift the collective morale of the country.
England Golf has been clear from the start – golf is a sport played safely in the open air with social distancing part and parcel of every round.
With the introduction of our Play Safe, Stay Safe protocols after the first lockdown, we made our sport even more secure.
Flagsticks-scaled.jpg

I’m sure you will be aware that many golfers have already contacted their own MPs to make this point and no doubt many more will reinforce this view by voicing their support for an expedient, safe return to playing golf in the days ahead.
For in excess of two million golfers in England, the mental and physical health benefits of playing our sport can be clearly documented. This isn’t anecdotal, this is based on solid scientific data.
The fact that these benefits can be enjoyed without presenting any undue risk to wider public health is hugely significant and this point has been stressed again in recent correspondence with government.
You will recall that last month, the All-Party Parliamentary Group for Golf presented government with an updated scientific paper which once again demonstrated clearly how golf can be played safely during any stage of a pandemic.
In short, golf remains a sport that’s safe and good for both body and soul.
Our golfing community has struggled without access to the game they love. For many, the mental hardships have been tougher to endure than the physical ones.
Like all sports, we have clubs navigating through the economic problems of lockdown, the uncertainty of a re-start date, the questions from furloughed staff about jobs, the queries from members about annual subscriptions.
These have been tough times that none of us want to visit again.
We are all trying to keep positive through what we hope is the final stage of lockdown, remaining optimistic that the “follow the science” news remains upbeat.
Importantly, we see no reason why golf can’t be one of the first sports to return, to help with the healing process for our country, and to ensure that the sun can once again shine on us all through the 2021 season.
Kind regards
Jeremy Tomlinson
CEO, England Golf

Read the APPGG scientific report on Covid- secure golf here
Details on the ‘Play Safe’ guidance can be found here

Tags: Coronavirus

Oh no, they've not used THAT photo?!

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
No word yet in NI, I think some of the other sports will be unhappy if Golf & Tennis open first - Rugby and Football (for example) lost quite a few players at the end of the first Lockdown to Golf because that was the only sport available. I remain hopeful that it will return Friday 12th March here, but not at all confident. If they open it to 2 balls only, that also will be quite frustrating as it means we'll only be guaranteed 9 holes at the weekend to ensure all members get out.

4LEX

Visit site
I think if clubs aren't allowed to open by early March, England Golf should instruct clubs to open in two balls and deal with the fall out. It's absolutely disgraceful to have golf courses closed. If every club is open then they'll be no resources to stop it.

Members only, two balls, bookings, no travel of 10 miles or more and off you go.

It's actually mind boggling how you can queue up for non essentiual coffee with a lack of social distancing, fish, walk in busy parks, have dozens of kids and parents in playgrounds and you can't play golf outside in acres of space.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think if clubs aren't allowed to open by early March, England Golf should instruct clubs to open in two balls and deal with the fall out. It's absolutely disgraceful to have golf courses closed. If every club is open then they'll be no resources to stop it.

Members only, two balls, bookings, no travel of 10 miles or more and off you go.

It's actually mind boggling how you can queue up for non essentiual coffee with a lack of social distancing, fish, walk in busy parks, have dozens of kids and parents in playgrounds and you can't play golf outside in acres of space.

Not sure how many clubs will be willing to pay the fines and members certainly wont.

Let us know how you get on.

4LEX

Visit site
Not sure how many clubs will be willing to pay the fines and members certainly wont.

Let us know how you get on.

If every club opened up then the fines would be written off.

I'll be playing in March regardless and £200, £400 or whatever will be laughed off and binned. I've broken no rules and wouldn't break them for a party or anything that would risk anyones health, but I'll be playing golf. Not a members club but any pay and play or resort course is fair game.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site

I'll be playing in March regardless and £200, £400 or whatever will be laughed off and binned. I've broken no rules and wouldn't break them for a party or anything that would risk anyones health, but I'll be playing golf. Not a members club but any pay and play or resort course is fair game.

Not for me.
I love golf and I'm missing it like hell .............................. but not enough to break the law.
I don't have the arrogance to make my own rules up, I'll wait until Boris says it's okay..
Couldn't someone get a criminal record for that?
Now that'd be a hell of a price to pay!

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I'm sure I've sometimes thought, nuts to it, I'll pay the fine! 2 ball golf has to be safe....much safer that plenty of stuff that it allowed.

But, wouldn't the BBC etc love it that lots of middle aged rich white blokes (all golfers according to them) are too arrogant to obey the law.

So. I'll calm down, remember that the weather has been garbage for most of the lockdown anyway and thank my lucky stars I've stayed healthy.

Golf needs to comply and be seen to comply. Play the long game. We'll be back playing within a few weeks now.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site

I'm curious. Where are you going to play? With courses closed are you just going to jump the fence? Once you do that you then have to deal with greens being left about 6mil longer than usual, no flags and probably no holes and let's not forget about the green keepers that might be knocking about????????????

4LEX

Visit site
Not for me.
I love golf and I'm missing it like hell .............................. but not enough to break the law.
I don't have the arrogance to make my own rules up, I'll wait until Boris says it's okay..
Couldn't someone get a criminal record for that?
Now that'd be a hell of a price to pay!

No criminal record or jail for breaking these rules. Worst case is paying the fine at 50p a week but if you pay on the spot or within a week it's halved so a better way for an individual.

4LEX

Visit site
I'm sure I've sometimes thought, nuts to it, I'll pay the fine! 2 ball golf has to be safe....much safer that plenty of stuff that it allowed.

But, wouldn't the BBC etc love it that lots of middle aged rich white blokes (all golfers according to them) are too arrogant to obey the law.

So. I'll calm down, remember that the weather has been garbage for most of the lockdown anyway and thank my lucky stars I've stayed healthy.

Golf needs to comply and be seen to comply. Play the long game. We'll be back playing within a few weeks now.

From what I've heard from pretty in the know sources it'll be at least 6-8 weeks before golf is back in England. Hope I'm wrong.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

I think if pubs aren't allowed to open by early March, Wetherspoons should instruct pubs to open two to a table and deal with the fall out. It's absolutely disgraceful to have pubs closed. If every pub is open then they'll be no resources to stop it.

pubs only, two people, bookings, no travel of 10 miles or more and off you go.

It's actually mind boggling how you can queue up for non essentiual coffee with a lack of social distancing, fish, walk in busy parks, have dozens of kids and parents in playgrounds and you can't have a pint outside in the beer garden.

Same post as yours with a few words changed. It would be anarchy.

Not for me thanks.

D

Deleted member 15344

From what I've heard from pretty in the know sources it'll be at least 6-8 weeks before golf is back in England. Hope I'm wrong.

There is no way unless something dramatic changes that it will be until the end of April before we can play golf again. It may not be when schools open in 3 weeks but it will be right after.

4LEX

Visit site
There is no way unless something dramatic changes that it will be until the end of April before we can play golf again. It may not be when schools open in 3 weeks but it will be right after.

Hope you're right. But outdoor sports were open way before schools last time. This time they're putting schools first (rightly so) and will expect rates to rise as a result. They'll wait 3 weeks after schools to look at the data and then make the next step. If all good then mid April is the best case. You have to factor in the mistakes of ending the last lockdown early and they'll not be another one, so that extra caution will have an impact.

The government is under immense pressure from all sides for education to open, theres no pressure from golf or outdoor sports. They know they can do what they want and face no backlash. Most members golf clubs are happy to have courses closed, furlough staff, let the courses rest and grow while they pick up the membership subs. It's win win. Everyone has a different angle on this, you need 360 perspective.

I think in a few weeks when it warms up and evenings get lighter the attitude will change....

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
No criminal record or jail for breaking these rules. Worst case is paying the fine at 50p a week but if you pay on the spot or within a week it's halved so a better way for an individual.

The worst case for me would be breaking the law knowing that everyone else is missing out because they've decided to do the right thing.
I couldn't live with the guilt. It's a self-respect thing.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
I think if pubs aren't allowed to open by early March, Wetherspoons should instruct pubs to open two to a table and deal with the fall out. It's absolutely disgraceful to have pubs closed. If every pub is open then they'll be no resources to stop it.

pubs only, two people, bookings, no travel of 10 miles or more and off you go.

It's actually mind boggling how you can queue up for non essentiual coffee with a lack of social distancing, fish, walk in busy parks, have dozens of kids and parents in playgrounds and you can't have a pint outside in the beer garden.

Same post as yours with a few words changed. It would be anarchy.

Not for me thanks.

But a lot of them are breaking the rules - how much more breaking of the rules do you think will happen if the beer gardens open again too soon?

Last summer there was almost no social distancing in one of my local pubs - the reason why I decided not to play winter league for the first time in over 20 years because I could see the writing on the wall.

I'm getting pretty sick of obeying the rules and seeing so many not really giving a damn any more.

But I'll still obey the rules, because if we all stop, we are going to just make this a lot harder!

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
The government is under immense pressure from all sides for education to open, theres no pressure from golf or outdoor sports. They know they can do what they want and face no backlash. Most members golf clubs are happy to have courses closed, furlough staff, let the courses rest and grow while they pick up the membership subs. It's win win. Everyone has a different angle on this, you need 360 perspective.

As you say, everyone has a different angle. But are there really members clubs who are happy to remain closed!? Don’t think so

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site

You're missing out the fact that I expect the club could also receive significant fines if allowing their membership to play, potentially also lose licensing rights etc. So whilst your act of bravado is lovely on the internet, in practice I wouldn't want to be the club testing that if it puts them out of business. Not to mention the fact that it's irresponsible to a national NHS effort - even if outdoor activity is low risk, the willingness to go against the rules just means everyone can do the same.

Anyway, let's see what's said on Monday, I personally still think it's March particularly with latest studies announced showing no spikes have ever been recorded from school returns.