Cotswolds golf course recommendations?

SirSliceAlot

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi all,
I'm off to Stow on the Wold next weekend for a wedding and have managed to get a few of the lads together for a cheeky pre-wedding round on the Friday morning (weddings on the Sunday), groom, father of the bride etc.
Theres 8 of us with handicaps ranging from 9 through to 24, so looking to book somewhere half decent at around the £30 mark and don't want to be too far away from Stow if possible, two possibles are The Wychwood, and Chipping Norton golf club. Has anyone any experience of one of these or can recommend somewhere else nearby?
Many thanks.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Minchinhampton has two excellent courses (three if you include the common land course). £49 a day (£28 if you have a county card) or £15 for after 4pm. 4 ball ticket is £136, 2 ball ticket £68 (both after 11am!!). Brilliant value - great courses.

The Old (Common land) course is also great fun and fantastic value at £18 (£15 county card) a round.

BTW - 45 minutes drive

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Broadway is a beautiful spot for a knock, easy walking and not too difficult.

Naunton is on the doorstep and is pleasant enough, was in superb nick a month or so ago too.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Can't recommend Minchinhampton highly enough.

Never played the old course but the 2 courses at the clubhouse are very different and a good test for all handicaps. The Avening is very traditional parkland with water, tree's and plenty of bunkers and the cherington has a linksy feel to it with excellent fast greens. Beautiful clubhouse and facilities, very friendly and superb food.

If I lived closer it would be my first choice club.

http://www.minchinhamptongolfclub.co.uk/

HotDogAssassin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Minch is a VERY good course, but quite some distance from Stow, if I could justify the cost it would be MY first choice to join. I agree with Naunton Downs, although I haven't played there is a long time, it has a good local reputation and my neighbour is a member there and he speaks highly of the course. Other good options nearby are http://www.lilleybrook.co.uk/, http://www.cotswoldhills-golfclub.com, http://www.tadmartongolf.com/

I would seriously suggest that Naunton Downs is the best bet for what you want. It's about 15mins drive from Stow.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was going to say Burford for £30 you must be joking.
But I checked and you can get on for £40.......must be hard times in the Cotswold.

One of the cheapest membership subs about down here too. Someone had to pass away for a space to come up though - there may still be a small waiting list.

Liqdaddymac

Head Pro
Visit site
Nannton downs and the Wychwood are both nice and courses I enjoy playing but, Broadway is better overall than both in my opinion. Played them all at twice this year and going back to broadway in a few weeks for a charity AMAM at a bargain £50 for team of 4.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Try Cirencester Golf Club. Around £35 green fee and a nice course. You will probably get a reduction with a county card.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I stayed by Minchinhampton on Monday evening, and drove through one of the courses first thing......

Play it as it lies...... them's the rules....

1236381_522922271118213_384600238_n.jpg

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Is there a rule if your balls lands in a pile of dung on the fairway? Can you pick it up, clean it and drop it?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Is there a rule if your balls lands in a pile of dung on the fairway? Can you pick it up, clean it and drop it?

Hope there's a local rule here because there was more dung than fairway grass....... although, not really sure I want to pick up and clean, certainly not the number of times it would be needed here....

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site

Think there is was same at my starting course Cleeve cloud on top of Cleeve hill but sheep used to graze on common land all summer free relief from droppings.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Burford
One of the cheapest membership subs about down here too. Someone had to pass away for a space to come up though - there may still be a small waiting list.

Yes still a waiting list, I inquired not long ago. Was not that taken when I played it though, nice and no complaints but did not leave me desperate to join.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Minch Common - you might imagine the cattle and sheep would make a mess of the greens - but when I played there in May no damage to greens evident at all. I guess as we were in a comp the cattle were elsewhere and dung
had been cleared. Great fun course. BTW - as you'll see from the Minch (New) Club web site their two courses are nothing like the common land course.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I used to play in Gloucestershire County matches and have played at the old and new courses a number of times.. An interesting feature of the old course was posts and wire ropes around some of the greens to keep the cows off, you had to climb through the ropes a bit like a boxing ring when you putted. :)

The new course is used for many county comps and has two nice 18 hole courses and a very nice club house.