Golf Stag Doo!

FifeGolfer90

Visit site
Hi guys and girls,
I’ve been selected as my mates best man for his forthcoming wedding and as I result I’m in charge of organising the stag doo.
I’m looking for some good recommendations to go for a Golf related Stag doo.
Ideally this would be a Friday to Monday long weekend.
The problem is there’s going to between 10 & 12 people going all of various ability. Ranging from single figures to total beginners. I think we’d be looking to play 2/3 rounds when we’re away with preferably a more prestigious course one of the days and less prestigious courses to allow for the beginners and the usual stag related golf games/nonsense.
Somewhere with a decent nightlife in the surrounding areas would also be ideal. abroad or in the UK would be fine.
Let me know if any of you have been on a similar golf weekend and can recommend a place.
Cheers!

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Would recommend an indoor golf sim type place if you have total beginners, wouldn’t really think a prestige course would welcome people hacking around the fairways ? Also, a lot of the indoor places have bars so ideal for a stag do.

And don’t discount the more trendy crazy golf places that are popping up, great fun for a bunch of mates

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi guys and girls,
I’ve been selected as my mates best man for his forthcoming wedding and as I result I’m in charge of organising the stag doo.
I’m looking for some good recommendations to go for a Golf related Stag doo.
Ideally this would be a Friday to Monday long weekend.
The problem is there’s going to between 10 & 12 people going all of various ability. Ranging from single figures to total beginners. I think we’d be looking to play 2/3 rounds when we’re away with preferably a more prestigious course one of the days and less prestigious courses to allow for the beginners and the usual stag related golf games/nonsense.
Somewhere with a decent nightlife in the surrounding areas would also be ideal. abroad or in the UK would be fine.
Let me know if any of you have been on a similar golf weekend and can recommend a place.
Cheers!

Bournemouth, there's a couple of public courses there and plenty of nightlife.

https://www.yourgolftravel.com/bournemouth-golf-tours?package=c75767ce63c6ad00f1dd73682f8dee87

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If people are total beginners are they really going to want to spend 4/5 hours on a course hacking it about as well as the added cost? I assume they would also need to hire, borrow or purchase clubs?

In my experience with stag do's, if there is no activity the day time can be pretty flexible. I'd maybe go for two different activities, golf for the golfers and something else for the people not interested, or just let them go and drink.

Looking at locations, it is probably easier keeping it in the UK with the current situation (and assuming you will have cars which will allow easy transport of clubs and to and from the golf course). Means that you can be a bit more flexible. City centre location for the night life and then drive to the course. Staying out at a course will probably be a bad idea unless its close to popular night spots.

Good luck, its not easy organising these sort of events and pleasing everyone!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Bournemouth, there's a couple of public courses there and plenty of nightlife.

https://www.yourgolftravel.com/bournemouth-golf-tours?package=c75767ce63c6ad00f1dd73682f8dee87
Aye - but if the Stag Do is any time soon you won't find a nightclub open - and bars will be limiting social interaction. I'd be looking for some form of accommodation that would allow DIY nonsense - or somewhere that you can have fun out in the open...and I wouldn't be looking abroad. Maybe look to a location that has a really good pitch and putt - or indeed a good putting course. For golfing total newbies and experienced golfers alike they can be great fun and a challenge.

So if looking in Scotland, Pitlochry might be worth a look. A cracking golf course in Pitlochry itself, with Blairgowrie just down the road - plus quite separate cracking putting course - and of course the town is set up for tourists. And there are a good few good nine hole courses around there - and nine holes might suit some of the non-golfers who could retire to the pub after 9 holes leaving the golfers to play a second 9.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Echoing others' thoughts - I wouldn't go for a 'prestigious' course with total beginners. Probably wouldn't go down too well. Better off finding a decent hotel in a place with good night life and which has a good public course nearby for your golf.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Maybe look for a course that off multiple activities? My local have ‘Foot Golf” which might be more fun and appealing to the non-golfers of the group but means you are still all together at the same venue and can meet for a pint in the club house after. (There’s also clays, quads, motor-x next to the course and paint ball less than 1/4 a mile away).

If you do go down the all playing golf route I’d say play Texas Scramble as it means that the golfers of the group support the weaker participants and it should be a bit more engaging and fun “Go Team!”.
Good idea with the scramble format as every player is always in the game - no matter how badly they might play.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah, FootGolf is a good idea if you're all into football, but I can't see a scramble working out. The keen golfers would feel like they're not getting much out of it, and the beginners wouldn't know what the hell was going on.

Siolag

Visit site
I’m doing an indoor crazy putting type thing for everyone on mine, and having a separate golf day for the golfers at my own course. The pro is going to put on a longest drive and closest to the pin and I fully expect I’ll be getting a daft club to tee off with and some dodgy gear to wear.

sammyboy

Visit site
Some very defeatist and negative comments I'm reading on here.

Absolutely nothing wrong with taking new golfers on nicer courses! We all had to start somewhere. Worst case scenario they will enjoy the walk (potentially I'll come onto that).

What about South Wales? I've had some good nights out in Cardiff. Celtic Manor does not require handicap certificates to play the 2010 course! So you could all go out and knock it around on a decent course. No one can really complain.

That could be your serious day. In Cardiff I am sure they have some decentish courses where you can rent a buggy and have a golf/drinking session. Take a cooler full of beer and have many drinks whilst riding the carts and knocking your ball around. From google your options are:

Whitchurch.
Cardiff Golf Club,
Radyr,
Castell Coch,
Llanishen

I know 2 or 3 of them would be good enough to keep the low handicappers entertained and potentially short and easy enough to not trouble the new golfers. Can't see any of them demanding handicap certs to pay green fees. You should be able to negotiate hard as all the clubs are struggling financially. But I wouldn't tell them in advance you are a stag do as I've played at two of those clubs and it might make them get difficult with you.

I can't comment on how fussy those clubs are, but I think you'd have a fantastic time. Someone local will tell you which clubs will most likely put up with you having a drinking session on the course. You can do golf fancy dress and wouldn't even need to get changed before hitting up the bars and clubs.

sammyboy

Visit site
Do you seriously think that any of those golf clubs will even consider entertaining people who have never even held a golf club before, on a stag do??

The comments are not negative or defeatist, they are just discussing the practicalities of combining golfers and non-golfers.

I have played at three of the clubs mentioned. And I've been a member of one. And I doubt that they would even ask if you had held a golf club before. You would call the pro shop and say you wanted to book 3, 4 balls. If the pro shop asked about handicaps you could simply say you were not sure as it was a group get together (true). I doubt any of them would be letting you out early on a saturday morning without asking more questions. But pretty much ALL of those clubs you can join as a member if you have never held a club before... So I do think they would let you pay money yes.

I'm going to tread carefully... But every club I have mentioned has members who look like they have never held a club before. That might be the 90 year old who still likes to go out even though his body can't do it. Or the 70-year-old lady who started a few months ago before her friend Doris said it was lots of fun.

Apart from the 2010 course no one is going to pay any interest in your golfing ability (and they care more about money than the rest). You will be ignored unless you are holding things up massively. I often will take some cold beers in my bag on a nice day... No one has told me that's against the rules.

Siolag

Visit site
Do you seriously think that any of those golf clubs will even consider entertaining people who have never even held a golf club before, on a stag do??

The comments are not negative or defeatist, they are just discussing the practicalities of combining golfers and non-golfers.

Having a drinking session when on the course Is also not a great idea. I suspect if you put that suggestion to most clubs they wouldn’t care how much money you’d spend, they wouldn’t be interested.

sammyboy

Visit site
Having a drinking session when on the course Is also not a great idea. I suspect if you put that suggestion to most clubs they wouldn’t care how much money you’d spend, they wouldn’t be interested.

Hold on. What about a halfway house? Have you never had a playing partner not offer you a beer from their bag or an old boy pull out a hip flask?

At the end of the day it's knocking a little ball around and trying to get it into a little hole. The OP and his mates might put £500 into a struggling club. Which for some of them is the same as having a member for half a year or more. It's a golf club, not a cathedral. If people want to be merry and enjoy themselves then let them. I often take some cold beers in my bag! In fact like John Daly I play better when I've had a couple - and a thermal drink pocket is the first thing I check a new bag has before anything else.

Golf has an image problem and this doesn't help... Why do we all have to pretend we are on the PGA tour? Most of us are crap golfers (including me) so lets embrace than and concentrate on enjoying ourselves. I'd much rather be stuck behind a new golfer who picks his ball up once he's had enough (or lost too many) - than the 40 hcap golfer who lines up everything like Tiger, and takes more practice swings than Rory. A stag do is for one day - crap/oild golfers are forever and are multiplying! Lets embrace the stag parties and condemn the more regular menaces.

Reactions: C&R

Siolag

Visit site
Hold on. What about a halfway house? Have you never had a playing partner not offer you a beer from their bag or an old boy pull out a hip flask?

At the end of the day it's knocking a little ball around and trying to get it into a little hole. The OP and his mates might put £500 into a struggling club. Which for some of them is the same as having a member for half a year or more. It's a golf club, not a cathedral. If people want to be merry and enjoy themselves then let them. I often take some cold beers in my bag! In fact like John Daly I play better when I've had a couple - and a thermal drink pocket is the first thing I check a new bag has before anything else.

Golf has an image problem and this doesn't help... Why do we all have to pretend we are on the PGA tour? Most of us are crap golfers (including me) so lets embrace than and concentrate on enjoying ourselves. I'd much rather be stuck behind a new golfer who picks his ball up once he's had enough (or lost too many) - than the 40 hcap golfer who lines up everything like Tiger, and takes more practice swings than Rory. A stag do is for one day - crap/oild golfers are forever and are multiplying! Lets embrace the stag parties and condemn the more regular menaces.

I think there’s a world of difference between a beer at a halfway house and a drinking session all the way round the course.

If you think it’s such a good idea, get yourself on the committee at a club and go for the “stag do” crowd. You can let us know how it goes and how much better off the club is when the regular menaces that previously kept the course in good shape are gone in favour of 20 lads wearing pussy patrol t shirts crashing buggy’s when pissed.

birdyhunter

Visit site
Don't take this the wrong way, I'm only trying to help but I've seen a stag bash with golf involved including golfers and non-golfers and it can end up splitting the group and people getting totally fed up.

I'd recommend one round only as a novelty and a bit of fun - if you did play 2 or 3 rounds the real golfers get fed up with 5 hour rounds, endlessly looking for balls in trees, watching someone burst out laughing after their 3rd air shot on a tee with a 4ball of senior members watching and waiting to get called through, people trampling on their putting line, etc.

One round on a pay and play combined with a weekend of go-karting, skeet shooting and drinking should be enough to enjoy the weekend. Basing the entire weekend on golf will wear a bit thin and it will lose its appeal.