New to London - Any Golf Club/Course Recommendations

Inverted92

Visit site
Recently moved to London and quite enjoy golf, but I've noticed it's very expensive here and think a membership might be a cheaper option.

I was hoping for a recommendation as the amount of courses found by Google is almost overwhelming and I don't know anything about them.

Personally, I would like to go as cheap as I can and I'm 28 (I saw some memberships vary by age). Any recommendations for someone looking for a decent commute from Battersea, was hoping for a 40-45 minute drive or maybe up to an hour - would also be a bonus if any are walking distance from trains, but I highly doubt that.

Any help is greatly appreicated.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Easiest way to escape Battersea is the A3/ Just off the A3 near Putney Vale you have the 2 Richmond Park courses; near New Malden you have Coombe Wood. Both of the are probably the relatively cheaper end. A little nearer home near Tibbett's Corner you have London Scottish or Wimbledon Common; same course, different clubs. Not unpleasant but on Wimbledon common so you must wear red and put up with wandering members of the public. The obvious one for railway access is Mitcham Common; short & tricky with good greens, it's right next door to Mitcham Junction station, Southern Trains or South west to Wimbledon & grab a tram.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Mitcham would get my vote too - as a 'proper' golf club that's convenient by public transport - short tram trip from Wimbledon direct to course! Addington Palace, a step up in course quality imo, is not much further, but probably a (considerable?) step up in cost.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Recently moved to London and quite enjoy golf, but I've noticed it's very expensive here and think a membership might be a cheaper option.

I was hoping for a recommendation as the amount of courses found by Google is almost overwhelming and I don't know anything about them.

Personally, I would like to go as cheap as I can and I'm 28 (I saw some memberships vary by age). Any recommendations for someone looking for a decent commute from Battersea, was hoping for a 40-45 minute drive or maybe up to an hour - would also be a bonus if any are walking distance from trains, but I highly doubt that.

Any help is greatly appreicated.
Depends what you'd regard as "cheap"? Remember this is London and we don't do cheap by most standards.

The cheapest would be the public courses at Richmond Park, followed by Wimbledon Common/London Scottish (same course, two clubs). Nice enough for a day out but I'd not want to be a member. Too many restrictions and too busy with public wandering about on common land. Next would be Mitcham Common but similar applies. Dulwich & Sydenham Hill, is your nearest/most convenient. Great "club", but we're not cheap (but not expensive by London standards) and course is very wet in winter. Depending on whereabout in Battersea you are, remember Clapham Junction is a major transport hub and from there, the world is your lobster by train. Can get to loads of places in under half an hour from there.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Flippin 'eck. And I thought that Chislehurst GC was dangerous enough with crossing fairways and balls flying over your head :eek:

Buckbeak

Visit site
Another one here for Mitcham. It is great for transport. I’m a member there and the thing that drew me in originally was how close it was to the train station - literally opposite the station with trains direct from Clapham Junction and also has tram links.
They do membership based on age, I joined a few years ago at a similar age and got it reduced. The course itself is good, great greens. It’s common land so the fairways aren’t the best. But it’s a proper course with friendly people. It’s one of the cheapest around, too.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Flippin 'eck. And I thought that Chislehurst GC was dangerous enough with crossing fairways and balls flying over your head :eek:
You forgot the common land bit with folk walking, picnics and playing other sports on it.
It is cheap mind.(y) £450 a year, the same as the South Ayrshire ticket with a choice of seven 18 holers and one 9 holer;) :cool:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you’re planning to commute via public transport, croham hurst, Shirley park and addington palace are all 10 mins from east Croydon buy bus.

If you want feedback on any let me know. I’ve recently joined croham hurst and they offer a reduced rate from 40 down to 25