Should Ali play on Friday?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
T

thecraw

MVP, you may well be a great ball striker and the blades are suited for your game, however I have just read a great article in todays Sunday Herald where they have an interview with Peter Whiteford on his rookie season. Bottom line is he talks about wonderfull ball strikers not making it on tour, its all about getting the ball in the hole and scoring well not about pure striking.

I always say go for what feels and looks best for you, not your mate or the pro. If you like it you are most of the time going to enjoy it better than settling for an option your not sold on.

DCB

Visit site
MVP

As a youngster I had a mixed bag of assorted clubs, all of them blades to some extent or another. Since that was all that was available at the time I just had to get on with it. Mr Solheim hadn't changed the face of golf with his first game improvement irons at that time. I could manage to hit a 4 iron 100yds forward and 100yds to the right no problem at all! I just couldn't control these beasts at all. It was 10 years later in the early 80s that I got my first set of ganme improvement clubs, a set of Sayers Crown irons with weight at the heel and toe of the club. Compared to nowadays even these beasts were almost blade like, but they were a vast improvement on the old blades I grew up with. Nowadays, well I have two sets in the garage, a set of MP 30 which I am currently playing, not full cavity's but not blades either and a set of TM LTIIs, Cavity back but not my cup off tea I'm afraid.

I'm not daft enough or confident enough to go out there and hope to put together a good round using blades, too hard by far. If I'm on the practise ground or range, I can often hit two or three good 6 irons from my mates MP32s. I can also hit some of the worst shots of the season at the same time! I just don't have the consistency to play these 'razor blades on a stick' without making my self look really silly on the course.(some say I do that anyway)

Think long and hard before putting your hard earned into a set of blades, they may look nice in the bag, but......

Gasp

Head Pro
Visit site
My Nike cci forged are like a muscle blade. They look gorgeous when I set them behind the ball which is important to me. The sweet spot isn't the biggest but knowing that keeps my swing compact and my rhythm easy.

When I got back in to golf after a long lay off, I used Calloway Big Berthas. Great beginner irons, hell great irons full stop. But when my game came back I craved more control of ball flight and spin. Went to Titleist DCI 990's.
Used them untill last year when I got my present clubs. Not saying I'll never use C.B's but for now they're not for me.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I am not sure what all the fuss is about. I play off 12, and have a set of musclebacks. I have had these for 2 1/2 years. Previously I had a set of Cleveland TA5 cavity backs for 3 years, and played off 12, and prior to that I had a set of Callaway big berthas for ages, and played off twelve. It makes no difference at all, I don't hit any of them any differently, I just like looking at the blades, they make me happy.
My short game is where I make my play, and that is all in the head.

clubchamp07

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
everyone to their own Divot. I use Ping S59's and they work for me. I have seen some huge cavity backs and always wonder how they get through the grass.

If you can hit cavity backs or blades use them.