Company cars...again.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I looked at one earlier in the year I'm sure it would not get a set of clubs in. It was much smaller than the Mazda 3 ( unless I'm getting models mixed up ) ?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
When I looked at one earlier in the year I'm sure it would not get a set of clubs in. It was much smaller than the Mazda 3 ( unless I'm getting models mixed up ) ?

I don't have any interest in getting golf clubs in the back, it's purely for tools. Maybe you're thinking of the CX-3? That's smaller than the CX-30 and has a smaller boot like the Mazda 3.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've just realised, I did go for the petrol hybrid model ?
Isn't it just a "mild" hybrid rather than a true hybrid in the sense that it cannot run purely on leccy in the way a Toyota (self charging) hybrid can?

Did you go for the Skyactive X engine btw?
I must confess to being rather interested in the CX30 with Skyactive X engine:)

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Isn't it just a "mild" hybrid rather than a true hybrid in the sense that it cannot run purely on leccy in the way a Toyota (self charging) hybrid can?

Did you go for the Skyactive X engine btw?
I must confess to being rather interested in the CX30 with Skyactive X engine:)

Yeah it's not a true hybrid, to be honest I didn't even realise it had some form of electric motor in it, it just appealed because of reasonably low emissions and decent tax code. I went for the Skyactive X 180 ps engine (whatever that means) strangely the less powerful engine is also less efficient on the tax code ?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah it's not a true hybrid, to be honest I didn't even realise it had some form of electric motor in it, it just appealed because of reasonably low emissions and decent tax code. I went for the Skyactive X 180 ps engine (whatever that means) strangely the less powerful engine is also less efficient on the tax code ?
Thats a petrol compression ignition engine, so a petrol engine that runs like a diesel. It's supposed to be lots more torquey like a diesel is than a normal petrol engine, as well as more fuel effeicient like a diesel.

It appeals a lot to me especially with the auto box, but my 3 is a nice looker and lovely to drive so it's got a lot to beat.

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I'm not really following the last 3 posts - surely a hybrid vehicle is just a vehicle with two or more distinct types of power?

I agree it's good to differentiate between those where the internal combustion engine is in part driving the wheels verses those where they're only there to charge the batteries.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm not really following the last 3 posts - surely a hybrid vehicle is just a vehicle with two or more distinct types of power?

I agree it's good to differentiate between those where the internal combustion engine is in part driving the wheels verses those where they're only there to charge the batteries.
Yes a hybrid is, but companies are producing what they call "mild hybrids" that use electric power to run heating, cooling and other items instead of loading the engine with belt drives to power those items.
A mild hybrid doesn't provide input to the road wheels, whereas a hybrid (whether self charging or plug-in) does.:)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
That makes my car a hybrid. I knew I was helping to save the planet. During the stop start rubbish, the a/c etc runs on the batteries.

Sometimes.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I've just been through this process again. I decided on Skoda Superb SE Technology iV hybrid. The reduction in tax compared to the diesel model made it a no-brainer for me. As in all these, there are a couple of compromises for going hybrid and the batteries needing some space. The boot is a little smaller, but still big, the fuel tank is down from 65 to 60 litres and there's no spare wheel. It still gets excellent reviews though.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've just been through this process again. I decided on Skoda Superb SE Technology iV hybrid. The reduction in tax compared to the diesel model made it a no-brainer for me. As in all these, there are a couple of compromises for going hybrid and the batteries needing some space. The boot is a little smaller, but still big, the fuel tank is down from 65 to 60 litres and there's no spare wheel. It still gets excellent reviews though.
I'm looking forward to hearing your real life review of this.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I was reading the aa now carry spare space saver wheels in their vans to get people moving again

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I was reading the aa now carry spare space saver wheels in their vans to get people moving again
It's our company policy to put spare wheels in the car but it looks like they will have to revisit that with the move to hybrids. I looked at the BMW 3 series but the boot and fuel tank on it did seem to be really impacted by the batteries.