Company cars...again.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It sends shutters down my spine when people quote mpg of under 30 and are pleased

I get annoyed if I get under 40!

Push 50 on a good run home in the Alhambra and same in HRV ...big heavy wagons aswell

Even round town I can get 30 plus in both .. I do miss the hybrid for its round town mpg those were good

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It sends shutters down my spine when people quote mpg of under 30 and are pleased

I get annoyed if I get under 40!

Push 50 on a good run home in the Alhambra and same in HRV ...big heavy wagons aswell

Even round town I can get 30 plus in both .. I do miss the hybrid for its round town mpg those were good

May be, but then I shudder at people driving under powered cars with less than 300 hp. My 577 hp v8 is just about perfect. Economical, (for what it is), pokey, fun, noisy, ticks all the boxes for me. Just need the people driving under powered wobble boxes to get out of the way really.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
May be, but then I shudder at people driving under powered cars with less than 300 hp. My 577 hp v8 is just about perfect. Economical, (for what it is), pokey, fun, noisy, ticks all the boxes for me. Just need the people driving under powered wobble boxes to get out of the way really.

Alright Clarkson...

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site

If only the Gtr's got out of my mx5's way on track days!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I tried to upload my spreadsheet but failed. Anyway, the key columns are:

Car
List Price (inc all extras)
Monthly Lease
Emmissions
BIK Cost 20/21
BIK Cost 21/22
BIK Cost 22/23

BIK rates can be found here https://www.nextgreencar.com/company-car-tax/bik-rates/ . For the calculation remember whether you are a 20% or 40% tax payer. It makes you realise how crucial the emissions are now, they absolutely dominate. I found the plug in hybrids to be around 40% of the BIK cost compared to a petrol or diesel version. That is a lot of rounds of golf you can pay for with the money saved :D:D.

You can add more columns, make it more sophisticated, but I am not sure it is necessary.

D

Deleted Member 1156

One man crusade to destroy the planet ;)

sunshine

Visit site
I tried to upload my spreadsheet but failed. Anyway, the key columns are:

Car
List Price (inc all extras)
Monthly Lease
Emmissions
BIK Cost 20/21
BIK Cost 21/22
BIK Cost 22/23

BIK rates can be found here https://www.nextgreencar.com/company-car-tax/bik-rates/ . For the calculation remember whether you are a 20% or 40% tax payer. It makes you realise how crucial the emissions are now, they absolutely dominate. I found the plug in hybrids to be around 40% of the BIK cost compared to a petrol or diesel version. That is a lot of rounds of golf you can pay for with the money saved :D:D.

You can add more columns, make it more sophisticated, but I am not sure it is necessary.

Thanks. I'm currently driving my own car so need to factor in saving in insurance / servicing / mot etc.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks. I'm currently driving my own car so need to factor in saving in insurance / servicing / mot etc.
Absolutely. My suggestions were mainly for Beezerk and his company car search.

Adding in the extra columns is important. At one point I was looking at a car level up from my own, 4yr old Merc E and Audi A6. Doing that spreadsheet I discovered the Merc needed servicing twice as often ?. Your point will show savings as much as costs but they are as important when it comes to making a decision.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Forgot about this ?
The gaffer ordered me a new Mazda CX-30 a couple of weeks ago, should be here in September ish.
Looked at loads of cars, I literally walked into every car showroom on Scotswood Road and asked to look at the boot size of all the cars there, I must have looked like a right nutter ?
The Mazda looks to have the right balance of emissions, tax code, boot space and gadgety stuff. I used to love the Mazda 6 I had years ago so I have big hopes of liking this one ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Forgot about this ?
The gaffer ordered me a new Mazda CX-30 a couple of weeks ago, should be here in September ish.
Looked at loads of cars, I literally walked into every car showroom on Scotswood Road and asked to look at the boot size of all the cars there, I must have looked like a right nutter ?
The Mazda looks to have the right balance of emissions, tax code, boot space and gadgety stuff. I used to love the Mazda 6 I had years ago so I have big hopes of liking this one ?
Nice looking car. What engine did you go for? Did you go for the hybrid version?

In terms of the boot, I do exactly the same. If I like the car I then bring my golf bag out of my own boot and see how it fits. My wife leaves the showroom at that point :ROFLMAO:

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nice looking car. What engine did you go for? Did you go for the hybrid version?

In terms of the boot, I do exactly the same. If I like the car I then bring my golf bag out of my own boot and see how it fits. My wife leaves the showroom at that point :ROFLMAO:

?
I went for the 2.0 litre petrol 180 ps something or other, didn't notice the hybrid when I was looking ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
?
I went for the 2.0 litre petrol 180 ps something or other, didn't notice the hybrid when I was looking ?
Based on your mileage then, assuming your fuel is covered, your company have too much money. Based on emmissions/BIK, you get paid too much if you didn't notice :LOL:.

I know someone with the next size up. Good car but chunky. Yours is a sleeker design, like an Audi Q3.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
It didn't even cross my mind to be honest until my sad mans spreadsheet started to develop. When the numbers started to scare me I decided to look at buying. It didn't take long to realise it made much more sense, for me anyway. I probably should have done it last time but it is so easy and I don't remember the tax rates being quite so severe.

I had to chuckle about your comment re, not having to worry about the whole package. I woke up the other day panicking that I needed to get breakdown cover, I've not had to think about that for 18 or so years. I think I have everything covered now, probably.

I've ended up opting out of the company car scheme and taking the cash instead as like you, the figures just did not add up. I'm now going to do a personal lease with maintenance and have ordered a new one. I've managed to get myself a much better class of car that I would have had had I stuck in the company car scheme. For some reason my company makes everyone get quotes on 30,000 miles a year, so the lease plus maintenance is a lot and I hit the limit I can spend quickly. Where as as I work from home so do relatively little travelling in the UK, I can get a personal lease on much fewer annual miles, hence the better class of car. Just need to sort out the insurance for the first time on 20 odd years now.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've ended up opting out of the company car scheme and taking the cash instead as the figures just did not add up. I'm now going to do a personal lease with maintenance and have ordered a new one. I've managed to get myself a much better class of car that I would have had had I stuck in the company car scheme. For some reason my company makes everyone get quotes on 30,000 miles a year, so the lease plus maintenance is a lot and I hit the limit I can spend quickly. Where as as I work from home so do relatively little travelling in the UK, I can get a personal lease on much fewer annual miles, hence the better class of car. Just need to sort out the insurance for the first time on 20 odd years now.
You can't tease us and then not say the car you went for. Did you go BMW and feel slightly dirty about it :LOL:?

A friend of mine went from an Audi A5 to a RR (sexy one, can't remember the version). I tentatively asked about it but discovered he only does 10k per year so he was paying around about the figure I was paying for my Superb at 20k per year. If you do low miles it really does open up some lovely options that would otherwise be out of reach.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
You can't tease us and then not say the car you went for. Did you go BMW and feel slightly dirty about it :LOL:?

A friend of mine went from an Audi A5 to a RR (sexy one, can't remember the version). I tentatively asked about it but discovered he only does 10k per year so he was paying around about the figure I was paying for my Superb at 20k per year. If you do low miles it really does open up some lovely options that would otherwise be out of reach.

Nearly, trouble is the BMWs seemed to be too sporty in the set up for me. I live down a lane then and then down a long unpaved drive that often resembles one of those test tracks they test a cars suspension on, so sports suspension, sports tyres and 19 inch alloys which all the Beemers I was looking at seemed to have would not be that practical. Also Beemers don't seem to have Android Auto which I've got used to in my current car, which irrationally put me off them.

Ended up going for a relatively boring A4 estate, but I did get a bad boys stereo in it so I can pump out some bangin grime tunes to impress the homies down the golf club. Good news is that Audi drivers seem just as obnoxious as BMW drivers, and I did order the optional Audi Cruise Control function that ensures the car stays no further than 3 yards away from the car in front whilst you are doing 85 on the outside lane of the motorway. You are right in that if you do relatively few miles then it does open the options up, but my sensible head over ruled a potential mid life crisis car.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Based on your mileage then, assuming your fuel is covered, your company have too much money. Based on emmissions/BIK, you get paid too much if you didn't notice :LOL:.

I know someone with the next size up. Good car but chunky. Yours is a sleeker design, like an Audi Q3.

I honestly don't think the hybrid was an option the other week, it never came up in their website anyway. I liked the Audi but the list price just made it too expensive on the tax.
Anyway you missed the real reason why I got the car, I'm the star employee so I get what I want ???

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nearly, trouble is the BMWs seemed to be too sporty in the set up for me. I live down a lane then and then down a long unpaved drive that often resembles one of those test tracks they test a cars suspension on, so sports suspension, sports tyres and 19 inch alloys which all the Beemers I was looking at seemed to have would not be that practical. Also Beemers don't seem to have Android Auto which I've got used to in my current car, which irrationally put me off them.

Ended up going for a relatively boring A4 estate, but I did get a bad boys stereo in it so I can pump out some bangin grime tunes to impress the homies down the golf club. Good news is that Audi drivers seem just as obnoxious as BMW drivers, and I did order the optional Audi Cruise Control function that ensures the car stays no further than 3 yards away from the car in front whilst you are doing 85 on the outside lane of the motorway. You are right in that if you do relatively few miles then it does open the options up, but my sensible head over ruled a potential mid life crisis car.
I have a slightly irrational love of Audi's but I have never been able to quite justify one. If Skoda had quoted me a daft price for mine I would have gone for a second hand A4 but thankfully / sadly they quoted a fair decent price so that ended that. Very good cars, beautifully finished inside imo. Next time.........

I think the runflat tyres on BMW's also seem to increase the hard drive element. I have been in all types of them and have never got out feeling car envy. I like a car that is quiet, soft ride, wallowing almost and BMW are the exact opposite of that. I get why people like them, boy do they sell a lot, but they are not for me either.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It didn't even cross my mind to be honest until my sad mans spreadsheet started to develop. When the numbers started to scare me I decided to look at buying. It didn't take long to realise it made much more sense, for me anyway. I probably should have done it last time but it is so easy and I don't remember the tax rates being quite so severe.

I had to chuckle about your comment re, not having to worry about the whole package. I woke up the other day panicking that I needed to get breakdown cover, I've not had to think about that for 18 or so years. I think I have everything covered now, probably.

Have u looked at what the banks offer? When me and the wife got engaged we opened a joint current account. The deal is £13 pm.. for that I get

World wide travel insurance for the household
Phone insurance for the household
Breakdown cover for me and my wife in any car we are traveling in and if anyone else is driving my car with my permission covers them

Cheap as chips

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Forgot about this ?

I didn't think the boot was that big on a CX30 ?