Company cars...again.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's that time again, my current car is due to be replaced in a couple of months so I'm on the lookout for something new.
Decent sized boot, low emissions and BIK rate are high on my list.
What's the current vehicles which fill that remit?

Come on LT, I know you're the man on this one :p

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Good shout, any idea how these differ from the Octavia?

Superbs are are bigger. May be too big if you don't need that size a car but don't think there is a hybrid Octavia. So you're then into doing the calculations over BIK V what you can afford V real world MPG etc etc to work out what will work out the best value in the long run. I'm in a similar boat, currently have a diesel but it is increasingly being taxed to buggery so will probably switch to a hybrid soon. There is also the Passat hybrid which is the same as the Superb in terms of engines but a little more 'classy' inside but also a little bit more expensive.

Hacker Khan

Visit site
just had a peep, 30 miles on the electric charge isn't much, looks like i will be sticking with my 10 year old Passat est a bit longer:(

Most main stream hybrids manage around that nowadays, less in winter when you need to have more electrical things working in the car. Depends on how much driving you do under 30 miles in distance and also if it is a company car. As the tax structure for company cars is increasingly pushing you towards hybrid and full electric.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Superbs are are bigger. May be too big if you don't need that size a car but don't think there is a hybrid Octavia. So you're then into doing the calculations over BIK V what you can afford V real world MPG etc etc to work out what will work out the best value in the long run. I'm in a similar boat, currently have a diesel but it is increasingly being taxed to buggery so will probably switch to a hybrid soon. There is also the Passat hybrid which is the same as the Superb in terms of engines but a little more 'classy' inside but also a little bit more expensive.

Thanks mate, mpg isn't really a huge issue, I do around 50,000/60,000 a year but have a fuel card so I don't actually pay for it myself I only pay for private mileage which seems to bounce around 10p-12p per mile. My main gripe is how they are really clamping down on diesel tax rates, I know some of the other lads with bigger vehicles than mine have eye watering monthly deductions.
Medium cars/estates/suv would be my ideal size, I liked the sound of the Golf estate but then I saw it in the flesh :eek:

D

Deleted Member 1156

I'm guessing with your annual mileage that EV isn't an option? Probably need a Tesla to get the range you need :unsure:

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
We got a 2020 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid earlier this year using my missus' car allowance and it's gorgeous. A joy to drive, decent MPG (hovers around 40), looks great (we've got the Dynamic version in Silver), plenty of boot space, I love it.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Most main stream hybrids manage around that nowadays, less in winter when you need to have more electrical things working in the car. Depends on how much driving you do under 30 miles in distance and also if it is a company car. As the tax structure for company cars is increasingly pushing you towards hybrid and full electric.
work wise isn't an issue but Nairn is 18 each way so over the charge range, not really a company car for me i get a car allowence

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Thanks mate, mpg isn't really a huge issue, I do around 50,000/60,000 a year but have a fuel card so I don't actually pay for it myself I only pay for private mileage which seems to bounce around 10p-12p per mile. My main gripe is how they are really clamping down on diesel tax rates, I know some of the other lads with bigger vehicles than mine have eye watering monthly deductions.
Medium cars/estates/suv would be my ideal size, I liked the sound of the Golf estate but then I saw it in the flesh :eek:

"I believe the Golf platform is used for the Audi A4, Skoda Octavia and the Seat Leon", a very satisfied Seat Leon owner was heard to say... ;)

Hacker Khan

Visit site

I literally have just got some leasing quotes through for hybrids from the company my company uses, and the monthly lease for a Passat hybrid is cheaper than for a Superb. Even though the list price is 6 grand dearer. Weird.

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
I literally have just got some leasing quotes through for hybrids from the company my company uses, and the monthly lease for a Passat hybrid is cheaper than for a Superb. Even though the list price is 6 grand dearer. Weird.

I would imagine that is because of the residual value is better?

Hackers76

Visit site
I have a Passat Estate hybrid arriving on Tuesday, it was originally due the Thursday after lockdown! Should see a saving of around £120 a month on tax over my Mazda 6 2.2l diesel plus the added fuel benefits once I get back on the road.

Hacker Khan

Visit site
I would imagine that is because of the residual value is better?

Fair enough, but it doesn't half make it confusing when working out how much you can afford with the allowance I get. As I assumes, as it turns out mistakenly, that the more expensive the car the more it will cost to lease. May well look up to see if there is a table of which cars keep their value the best then.

Hacker Khan

Visit site
I have a Passat Estate hybrid arriving on Tuesday, it was originally due the Thursday after lockdown! Should see a saving of around £120 a month on tax over my Mazda 6 2.2l diesel plus the added fuel benefits once I get back on the road.

Looks like I may be going that way as well, but the saloon as I already have a dirty diesel Passat saloon and it's big enough for my needs. Did you go for the GTE or GTE advanced?

Hackers76

Visit site
Looks like I may be going that way as well, but the saloon as I already have a dirty diesel Passat saloon and it's big enough for my needs. Did you go for the GTE or GTE advanced?
just the GTE our company is quite rigid on the choices available. I need the estate for the golf gear, the saloon boots are a little smaller than a diesel or petrol so no good for me. Had I known I would have to wait this long to take delivery I may have been tempted by the 3 series hybrid estate but the VW has plenty to play with