Clubs in and out the bag.

User20204

Visit site
Would you put a club in the bag knowing it will only be used for one possibly two shots at most during your round ??

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Would you put a club in the bag knowing it will only be used for one possibly two shots at most during your round ??

Yup, its a permanent fixture with the aim of not using at all

My 'rock' club, very handy when the lie is likely to scratch or score the sole of the club

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes. I keep a 60° wedge in for exactly that. It may not get used at all, it may get used once or twice at most. It is not keeping another club out of the bag so why not?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If there was a certain shot, say a par 3, that I needed a particular club for and that club may not get used again, then I'd certainly consider putting it in the bag unless I could safely manufacture the same shot with a different club.

User20204

Visit site
If there was a certain shot, say a par 3, that I needed a particular club for and that club may not get used again, then I'd certainly consider putting it in the bag unless I could safely manufacture the same shot with a different club.

This is exactly what I'm referring to, par 3 where no other club I have can reach and others are too much.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
my 3 iron, its not in and out the bag, been in the whole time I've had my irons, but i don't think i have used it once so far this year

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My sand wedge is in the bag for every game I play.

There are a great number of rounds when it has never been used.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
2 iron for me.

Currently switching between 2 iron and 17 degree rescue depending which course i'm at and wind conditions. Unfortunately the rescue is beating the the 2iron out of the bag at the minute as it's just too much of a lifesaver from the rough.

Hit either of them or the 3 wood off the tee happily but when wind is up the 2 iron flight is just a joy to hit and watch and just generally boosts my wellbeing and mental state as daft as that sounds.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes, if I didn't have any other clubs that would be more useful. I have a 60° that I only use in bunkers, so that's maybe 2 or 3 times a round unless I'm particularly unlucky. I also have a 4 wood there that I rarely use, maybe once a round off the tee at my home course, 2 or 3 times at other courses. I actually have a 3 iron in the bag that I often don't use at all in a round anymore - it's only there for certain niche holes where I really need to be straight but don't need the distance, or I might use it for punching under a tree branch or something. Basically last summer I was teeing off with it because my old driver wasn't working, but now I have a driver that works, so I've just left the 3 iron for those odd occasions. I have no other clubs fighting for a place in the bag so it might as well stay in as an option.

User20204

Visit site
My sand wedge is in the bag for every game I play.

There are a great number of rounds when it has never been used.

That isn't quite what I'm meaning though, I'm meaning putting a club in the bag for the sole purpose of one particular shot that you know you will have which is different to having a club in the bag, whether it gets used or not.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I bought a high launch three wood specifically for our two par threes that are 200 yards. Meant I could ditch the 17 degree hybrid and old three wood. Goes a bit further than hybrid but with the height it stops quicker. Definitely think a specific club for your own course is a good idea.(y)

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
yes - if my driver is working - at my home course - I'll use the 3 wood at one hole, possibly 2.

Likewise 60 degree wedge, will only use it for a flop shot or out of a steep bunker.

I don't have an issue with staying under 14 clubs, and tbh no one really should. 14 is already too many imo.

D

Deleted member 21258

I carry a 3HL wood and very rarely hit it, as it is so unreliable(maybe once every 2 rounds on average). Carry a 4 iron that I almost only ever hit out of trees, don't take it out when playing on a treeless course.

Allowed to carry 14 clubs don't need any other clubs, so why not carry the above 2 clubs I suppose?:confused:

D

Deleted member 1147

Just because you may think that if the round is played perfectly you may only use a club once, doesn't mean that in practice you'll only use it once!

The wind can change making a hole longer or shorter, you may miss hit a drive, and therefore leave a longer approach or lay up. You can go several rounds without using a club at all, and then suddenly use it several times.

As such I have a club for every gap - going forward I may choose a different club for that particular gap then I normally carry (hybrid or driving iron for instance if it gets very dry again like last year).