Club trade in advice

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi Forummers,

I know there's a thread for the AG double value trade in but looking for specific advice here.

AG have quoted £140 to trade in a set of irons I don't use. I'm keen to do the deal, but I have no idea what to get in return as I'm limited by budget (don't wanna spend too much more than the £140 which doesn't go very far these days). I'm also not sure what would be best for my game.

I currently playing:

Driver: Cobra ZL
3 Wood: Cobra S3
Hybrid: Nike CPR 18 degree
Irons: Progen (old but hit them well)
Wedges: Vokey 54 & 58
Putter: Old Mizzie

As you can see my whole set could do with a refresh, but no one area jumps out. Options I've considered are:

1) Get custom fit for a past season driver. I've seen Aero Burner, Ping G25 and Cobra F6 going cheap. Will AG do a custom fit for these?
2) Get custom fit for irons. I'd love to do it but this might be out of budget!!!
3) Get a new putter. Perfect for budget and would love to improve putting, but sceptical as to whether putter tech is worth investing in.
4) Get new wedge/s. I'd be more tempted by getting 2 wedges on a deal but I think the trade in is limited to one club only.

I've seen AG do a kind of club MOT session, but is there an option to investigate where best to invest your money. I need to speak to the store and will do, but keen to hear some knowledgeable views from the guys/girls on here.

Anyone been in a similar boat and had good/bad experiences?

Thanks all,

Sheriff

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I don't think they do custom fit for older models, but you will be able to try what is instore and if they have a few versions with different lofts/shafts you may find one which works for you. They also have some of the old Callaway XR drivers in stock and that won't blow your budget.

For irons, you could go for something like Benross, which you can get for about £200, I think you would notice a huge difference in distance gain and accuracy with these and wouldn't blow your budget. I do remember reading that if you want custom fit they won't price match so keep that in mind.

Have a look on their website and see what fits in your budget as if it is on their website you can get them to order it in. If not, it is what is in store. For example, my store has a few clubs available which are not on their website anymore.

And you are correct about the wedges, it is 1 for 1, so most likely not worth trading in for.

For the putter, you could easily pick something up for your budget but it is really up to you what you want to go for. You can go in and try a few and see if you can find one second hand for cheap.

My advice would be to go for irons as I do think you'd notice a big difference, and there is cheaper brands out there which still perform great.

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't think they do custom fit for older models, but you will be able to try what is instore and if they have a few versions with different lofts/shafts you may find one which works for you. They also have some of the old Callaway XR drivers in stock and that won't blow your budget.

For irons, you could go for something like Benross, which you can get for about £200, I think you would notice a huge difference in distance gain and accuracy with these and wouldn't blow your budget. I do remember reading that if you want custom fit they won't price match so keep that in mind.

Have a look on their website and see what fits in your budget as if it is on their website you can get them to order it in. If not, it is what is in store. For example, my store has a few clubs available which are not on their website anymore.

And you are correct about the wedges, it is 1 for 1, so most likely not worth trading in for.

For the putter, you could easily pick something up for your budget but it is really up to you what you want to go for. You can go in and try a few and see if you can find one second hand for cheap.

My advice would be to go for irons as I do think you'd notice a big difference, and there is cheaper brands out there which still perform great.

Cheers Coffey. Heard good things about Benross and if they can improve my game without breaking the bank I'll defs look into it.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Cheers Coffey. Heard good things about Benross and if they can improve my game without breaking the bank I'll defs look into it.

The only criticism I have seen is the low spin rates off the irons, which is why they go so far. But if you are just looking for a bit of distance and accuracy they are brilliant, well made clubs and for that price, an absolute bargain.

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Would look at the putter, not necessarily for tech reasons but in terms of fit and they hold value better than anything. Other areas for best return would be the 3 wood or the hybrid (hybrid being very difficult as you really want to plug the distance gap between the 3w and the longest iron so would want to sort them first)

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
Would look at the putter, not necessarily for tech reasons but in terms of fit and they hold value better than anything. Other areas for best return would be the 3 wood or the hybrid (hybrid being very difficult as you really want to plug the distance gap between the 3w and the longest iron so would want to sort them first)

Cheers Hosel. Good to know that putters hold their value. New putter is looking like a goer at the mo. Spoke to AG and you can't use the trade in to purchase past season clubs so pretty much priced out of drivers and irons anyway.

So looks like it's narrowed down to putter, hybrid or 3 wood.

Good to know that putters hold their value