Club distances

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you carry a good number of wedges or have to hit a lot of half, 3/4 shots with a PW? 130yds for a pw is a big old whack but leaves a lot of distance inbetween before you reach the pin.
(same question for all big hitters)
I have just got Callaway Epic irons and the pw hits it 130yds.
The lofts are strong .
so have added a 48* wedge
pw =130 yds.
48 =120
52 =110
56 =100
60=85

Left my 3 wood out to carry wedges.
Not a really big hitter but am long enough!

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
i don't doubt some people can hit the ball a long way, but many don't and some off the averages are, From my experience, far from it. hiting a 3 wood 240 yards once isn't the average, the same as hitting the driver 300 yards, down wind, down hill and
when the ground is frozen solid isnt the average.

View attachment 24949

many don't hit the ball anything as far as they think they do
have a look at this swing speed calc

The 90 column on the chart is pretty much bang on my distances and i'm only 61, those sure are powerful 90 year olds

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
i don't doubt some people can hit the ball a long way, but many don't and some off the averages are, From my experience, far from it. hiting a 3 wood 240 yards once isn't the average, the same as hitting the driver 300 yards, down wind, down hill and

View attachment 24949

I would say that chart is pretty much spot on. The 2 times I have gone for a a Mizuno DNA fitting both times it says I have a similar swing speed to a lower end tour player. So the distances I claimed compared to the chart you put up are pretty much the same as the DNA showed I hit my 6i the same distances as Luke Donald.

D

Deleted member 1147

I would say that chart is pretty much spot on. The 2 times I have gone for a a Mizuno DNA fitting both times it says I have a similar swing speed to a lower end tour player. So the distances I claimed compared to the chart you put up are pretty much the same as the DNA showed I hit my 6i the same distances as Luke Donald.
Agreed, my Titleist fitting last Spring had my swing speed at 107 iirc. So the distances I’ve stated are similar to those on the chart.
Apparently I was 3-4 mph too slow for x stiff shafts.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Agreed, my Titleist fitting last Spring had my swing speed at 107 iirc. So the distances I’ve stated are similar to those on the chart.
Apparently I was 3-4 mph too slow for x stiff shafts.

Just looked back at where you posted your distances. Funny how we've both quoted exactly the same iron distances and I was the same when I got my driver. I was towards the top end of the stiff swing speed but not quick enough to hit an X-stiff consistently.

D

Deleted member 1147

Just looked back at where you posted your distances. Funny how we've both quoted exactly the same iron distances and I was the same when I got my driver. I was towards the top end of the stiff swing speed but not quick enough to hit an X-stiff consistently.

I reckon we are standard for decent players, getting a little older, but not one of the young starlets who hit it a mile.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

View attachment 24949

There you go again, bringing facts into forum discussions!

A good chart (obviously) and for many it's a useful chart to see whether they are struggling to retain a constant rhythm through the bag - let alone hitting the middle of the club face!

I'm pretty much bang on the 100 column when I'm swinging well - and should probably be wearing a skirt when I'm a little off on the timing 🤔

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Distinctly short. Won't bore you with the full distances but my take is very simple. Hit it with whatever club you think will get there. I tend to plan for the centre of the green as trouble is usually short. Hit the centre on most courses and you'll never be too far from the pin

D

Deleted member 1147

...trouble is usually short...
Interesting, I often find that being short isn’t a bad thing. In fact i recall at Beau Desert I asked the pro for any tips, and his reply was not to go long, short is safe.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Interesting, I often find that being short isn’t a bad thing. In fact i recall at Beau Desert I asked the pro for any tips, and his reply was not to go long, short is safe.

I have found that most clubs have bunkers short and so it only takes a ball to be a few yards offline to find one. Similar with ponds. They are usually short or not far off. By going longer, in theory it should take the hazards out of play. There is a couple of holes at my place where long is dead but in principle it's something I stick to

D

Deleted member 1147

I have found that most clubs have bunkers short and so it only takes a ball to be a few yards offline to find one. Similar with ponds. They are usually short or not far off. By going longer, in theory it should take the hazards out of play. There is a couple of holes at my place where long is dead but in principle it's something I stick to

It’s about learning, hole to hole, where to miss.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
When you play Blackmoor, short is fine, long is dead. Even if you have a shot long you will be chipping back down the green, and unlikely to be able to stop the ball. Short straight and you can putt up. Fairways usually run at about nine on the stimp.;)

Not played many links or heathland courses where trouble is short. They generally play fast so allow you to run shots into the greens.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
It’s about learning, hole to hole, where to miss.

...and how many handicap players are good enough to know where to miss do you think ??

There are a few holes on my track you don't want to be above the hole but when you're coming in with a 3/4/5 iron or hybrid, I'd guess most of them are quite happy to be in and around.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
When you play Blackmoor, short is fine, long is dead. Even if you have a shot long you will be chipping back down the green, and unlikely to be able to stop the ball. Short straight and you can putt up. Fairways usually run at about nine on the stimp.;)

Not played many links or heathland courses where trouble is short. They generally play fast so allow you to run shots into the greens.

I get that but I play mostly on parkland courses where the trouble is distinctly short.