Club distances

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Wlaked an interesting little vid on Youtube. 8 handicapper who plays Mizuno MP5s 'player' clubs doing a swing studio analysis comparison of his 7i against Titleist AP1 'game improvement' irons.

His conclusion? He was getting 20yds more distance with the AP1 7i (170yds cf 150yds) at the expense of stopping distance (on green) of 5yds (AP1s) cf 2yds (MP5s).

He was seriously questioning his 'disdain' for 'game improvement' clubs. After all - was he not a 'players' club player?

He was pretty sure that with his handicap (8!) he wasn't consistent or good enough for that 3yds quicker stopping distance to be that important, and that if from 170yds he could be hitting a 7i into a green rather than a 6i or indeed 5i - he'd forgo the quicker stopping for the much greater forgiveness provided by a 7i vs a 5i.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wlaked an interesting little vid on Youtube. 8 handicapper who plays Mizuno MP5s 'player' clubs doing a swing studio analysis comparison of his 7i against Titleist AP1 'game improvement' irons.

His conclusion? He was getting 20yds more distance with the AP1 7i (170yds cf 150yds) at the expense of stopping distance (on green) of 5yds (AP1s) cf 2yds (MP5s).

He was seriously questioning his 'disdain' for 'game improvement' clubs. After all - was he not a 'players' club player?

He was pretty sure that with his handicap (8!) he wasn't consistent or good enough for that 3yds quicker stopping distance to be that important, and that if from 170yds he could be hitting a 7i into a green rather than a 6i or indeed 5i - he'd forgo the quicker stopping for the much greater forgiveness provided by a 7i vs a 5i.

It's a really interesting conundrum. I plumped for something inbeween. I found that that Cobra F8's, AP1's and Ping G's were so easy to get in the air but they just went up and up. I'd struggle in any sort of wind to gauge distances with the height I was hitting them. I don't see a problem with a 160 yard 7i with a more penetrating flight as opposed to a 180 yard one . I think its consistency of distance which is important, more so than the maximum distance you can hit it.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Does he know the lofts on both those clubs ? My guess there won't be much difference between a 7iron game improver and the 5iron "players club" so it's probably all between the ears.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Does he know the lofts on both those clubs ? My guess there won't be much difference between a 7iron game improver and the 5iron "players club" so it's probably all between the ears.

I think there might have been 1* difference, but his main point was actually the fact that he has previously dismissed 'game improvement' clubs when in fact he could see great benefit from hitting a 7i into a green 170 yds away as opposed to trying to hit a 5i in.

So why was he bothering trying to hit his MP5s as the benefit they could provide in respect of 'stop' on the green was not something he felt he could leverage to great benefit (he avoided mentioning the 'vanity' word that you could sense was what he was thinking). If he was a Cat1 then maybe - but not off 8. The risk reduction of hitting a 7i rather than a 5i was worth the potential loss of 'stop' and the loss of the 'kudos' associated with playing 'players' clubs.

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I think there might have been 1* difference, but his main point was actually the fact that he has previously dismissed 'game improvement' clubs when in fact he could see great benefit from hitting a 7i into a green 170 yds away as opposed to trying to hit a 5i in.

'.

whats the difference if the shaft and loft is still the same as his 5 iron, you are just hitting the same club it just says 7 rather than 5???

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
whats the difference if the shaft and loft is still the same as his 5 iron, you are just hitting the same club it just says 7 rather than 5???

I have no idea - I don't do this sort of data stuff.

But bottom line he was saying (as I understood him) was that when he compares a MP5 7i with a AP1 7i he get's 20yds more distance with the latter and 3yds quicker 'stop' with the former. He felt he could make more use of the 20yds extra as he wasn't good or consistent enough with a 5i from 170yds to make use of any better stop he might get from the MP5.

He was then just saying he might as well play AP1s. The MP5s were just making the game harder for him. I'll see if I can find the clip and post a link if folks are interested.

I am - as my clubs are probably considered 'players' clubs - and I am off 8. Maybe I should be looking at replacing them with a set of 'game improvement clubs'. In fact I am considering purchase of i200s.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Presumably forgiveness is better on the GI 7 iron compared to the better player 5 iron. And maybe as you up the scale, the GI 5 iron might be far easier to hit than a better player's 3 iron? Even if they are the same loft.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Presumably forgiveness is better on the GI 7 iron compared to the better player 5 iron. And maybe as you up the scale, the GI 5 iron might be far easier to hit than a better player's 3 iron? Even if they are the same loft.

possibly, but what if they are the same shaft length and lie, they why should they be harder to hit?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I have no idea - I don't do this sort of data stuff.

But bottom line he was saying (as I understood him) was that when he compares a MP5 7i with a AP1 7i he get's 20yds more distance with the latter and 3yds quicker 'stop' with the former. He felt he could make more use of the 20yds extra as he wasn't good or consistent enough with a 5i from 170yds to make use of any better stop he might get from the MP5.

He was then just saying he might as well play AP1s. The MP5s were just making the game harder for him. I'll see if I can find the clip and post a link if folks are interested.

I am - as my clubs are probably considered 'players' clubs - and I am off 8. Maybe I should be looking at replacing them with a set of 'game improvement clubs'. In fact I am considering purchase of i200s.

thing is the better player clubs do allow for more shot shaping and distance control ive found, so its a trade up for what you want to get out of them. if you are hitting the same shots all the time and don't need what players clubs give you then why bother then.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
possibly, but what if they are the same shaft length and lie, they why should they be harder to hit?

why would a 5i have same shaft length and lie as a 7i?

Sorry - I really just don't get all the tech data around golf clubs and so for simple old me a 5i would always have less loft than a 7i and it would always have a longer shaft.

for me shorter shaft means more control of clubhead, and more loft gives greater forgiveness around angle of strike. So a 7i will ALWAYS be easoer to hit than a 5i. And so if I can reach a green using a 7i rather than a 5i why would I choose the 5i?

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
why would a 5i have same shaft length and lie as a 7i?

Sorry - I really just don't get all the tech data around golf clubs and so for simple old me a 5i would always have less loft than a 7i and it would always have a longer shaft.

for me shorter shaft means more control of clubhead, and more loft gives greater forgiveness around angle of strike. So a 7i will ALWAYS be easoer to hit than a 5i. And so if I can reach a green using a 7i rather than a 5i why would I choose the 5i?

Here he is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbdZ2dVkMr8

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
It's all relative to the player. When I got fitted late last year I wanted irons that would stop and give consistent distances, not bombers that ran 20 through the green or went 160 on one shot then 190 the next but if that suits a particular player then that's fine.

I do very much doubt lower handicap players will use these bomber type clubs.