Club distances

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Shortest hitter in our group of 8.

A lot of them guys use strong lifted irons so can even out a bit. Since I've had back problems I've definitely lost at least a club or 2.

Sw 90
Gap 110
PW 120
9i 130
8i 140
7i 150
6i 160

That's with no wind. Once there is wind involved I'm usually clubbing up quite a bit. we have very little roll in Ireland so most of the time you are talking carry and very little run unless you hit it in quite flat.

Played our 9 hole course last night which is all par 3s.

Hit 3 balls off each tee.

Ball 1 - the club I need to fly to the pin. Normal shot.
Ball 2 - 2 clubs up from what I hit ball 1 with.
Ball 3 - 1 club up from ball 1. Drill it as low as I can and get it running. Wind shot.

Was a useful fun exercise. Practiced normal iron strikes, controlled shots with plenty of club and also playing low running shots which will be useful on links.

D

Deleted member 1147

...and how many handicap players are good enough to know where to miss do you think ??

There are a few holes on my track you don't want to be above the hole but when you're coming in with a 3/4/5 iron or hybrid, I'd guess most of them are quite happy to be in and around.

I imagine most are good enough to know, but may be aren’t good enough to do

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
From all the guys I have played with on the forum the consistent long hitter is Mendie , another who hit is true was Snelly , but one guy who is sneaky long is Sawtooth. Others around the same Handicap hit it regularly longer than me but the one thing I found I can do consistently a bit better than most is how often i ended up in the fairway - consistently find the fairway even if a good ten years behind most
From what I have heard it’s your dress sense that is ten years behind:whoo:

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
...and how many handicap players are good enough to know where to miss do you think ??

We should be, that is what course management is about. I know at my track I will always play on the cautious side of things. If the pin is near the front of the green on some holes, I will tend to play a bit longer knowing that if I catch it properly I will have an easy 2 putt, or if I don’t quite get it properly I will still be on the green. Cause there are a few holes where coming up short is gonna take some kind of Mickelson magic to get up and down.

I think at times people should forget about distance to the pin and look at how far it is to the middle. Better to aim for the middle, come up a club short and be on the fringe, than coming up a club short and being in a deep bunker.

Seamer

Hacker
Visit site
According to my shot tracking app

Driver - 229
3 Hybrid - 198
4 Hybrid - 174
5 iron - 159
6 iron - 160
7 iron - 158
8 iron - 147
9 iron - 135
PW - 117
52 - 89
56 - 80
60 - 64

What that tells me is that I don't often hit a good 5 or 6 iron :rolleyes: I have had a few out there at the expected 170 and 180 yds but I tend to just use my 4 hybrid instead as I can get it anywhere between 170 and 200 yards if I really step on it, I should invest in a 5 hybrid.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not overly long myself..
pw 95-105.
7 iron 140-150
driver 50-220.
Everything else varies according to how my game is on that day.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have no idea now, improved my swing a lot and hardly play so usually calibrate off my first few good shots of a round. If i am short I club up, long club down.

This works for the most part and used it in my first round of the year last week. I got it right early on leading to some good shots but found myself overclubbing later in the round then i started underclubbing towards the end.

Tiger Woods

Medal Winner
Visit site
Search golf monthly forum meet into you tube and you will see why this bunch of fat, overweight, unfit and botched swing formers believe that no-one who isn't on tour can hit a driver past 200yards...

D

Deleted member 18588

Search golf monthly forum meet into you tube and you will see why this bunch of fat, overweight, unfit and botched swing formers believe that no-one who isn't on tour can hit a driver past 200yards...

Good Lord!

Are the children on school holidays already?

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Comparisons of club distances are a bit difficult because different manufacturers' use different lofts and shaft lengths for the 'numbered' clubs. Means one maker's 7i will be another's 6i.

Use the club that will get it in the fairway at a position for the next shot - not lost in the c--p through giving it everything!

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site

Please don't mock this troll, after all he claims to be American which means he could have voted Trump, enough said ?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
There you go again, bringing facts into forum discussions!

A good chart (obviously) and for many it's a useful chart to see whether they are struggling to retain a constant rhythm through the bag - let alone hitting the middle of the club face!

I'm pretty much bang on the 100 column when I'm swinging well - and should probably be wearing a skirt when I'm a little off on the timing 🤔

Sorry:)

its a good chart though isn't it?

my distances are spot on for my CHS for irons though i do have slightly weaker lofts on my irons that q here. Driver i'm slightly down on carry, but around my home track less of an issue as i get some good roll out

Last edited:

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

haha....better watch, they'll be taking major offence to that, ban coming your way. :whoo:

Trapdraw

Medal Winner
Visit site
These are the distances I play to on the course. Depending on the lie, weather, etc.

Driver 280-290
3 wood 250-260
2 iron 230-240
4 iron 200
5 iron 190
6 iron 180
7 iron 170
8 iron 160
9 iron 150
Pw 140
52 125
56 110
60 90

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
If I had to guess I start with these.

Driver 230-250
3 wood 215
2 hyb 200
4 iron 175
5 iron 165
6 iron 155
7 iron 145
8 iron 135
9 iron 125
Pw 115
52 95
56 85
60 65

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry:)

its a good chart though isn't it?

my distances are spot on for my CHS for irons though i do have slightly weaker lofts on my irons that q here. Driver i'm slightly down on carry, but around my home track less of an issue as i get some good roll out

I have quite a few sets of irons with significantly different lofts - but I really dont notice a significant difference in carry from them. That said most are smaller head versions rather than out and out distance heads (that's my excuse anyhow!).

BornSlippy1994

Medal Winner
Visit site
First round today using Shot Scope. Really interesting to see my averages from the round (a tiny, tiny sample size), but, what is evident is that I'm embarrassingly bad with a driver or 3 wood in my hands.

For example, averaged 105 with a 52 wedge, and averaged 197 with a 4 iron. One of those 4 iron shots was uphill and into wind so reckon I'm pushing 200 with it.

However, my driver average, 211... Average with my 3 wood is even more hilarious, only 180 from today's round. I knew comparatively my driving (and 3 wood) was bad, but find it shocking how even the one I thought I hit okay only went 222. Admittedly, if I'm not hitting fairways I'm never going to get any run but it's still far too short.

Decided to book a lesson to sort out my driver and 3 wood as it's got beyond a joke now. Feel confident with any iron or hybrid in my hand. Even when I borrowed a friend's bladed 2 iron I was hitting that pure. Genuinely stand over the ball with both and no idea what I'm doing which is probably the biggest issue. Give me a 4 iron and I feel like I can swing the club in a controlled, powerful way. Driver? Nah, I'm pretty much just making sure I hit the ball.

Most ridiculous shot of the day has to be the 248 yard hybrid I hit into one of the par 5s. Still no idea what happened, other than it came off the face like an absolute rocket and must have took the biggest bounce ever seen on the downslope to get even near to that number. Nearly took out the group stood on the green, but not in a million miles did I think I was reaching.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I had a hybrid shot like yours on Tuesday 198 to front of green up a very steep hill (18th) I hit about 190 with my hybrid, I was in the ruff and I boomed the the ball left side if the green about 210 great shot to end the round

Sidsidgwick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Mine are all over the place but current averages:

Driver-210-260
5 wood-180-200
3 Iron-200-210
4 Iron-185
5 Iron-175
6 Iron-170
7 Iron-160
8 Iron-150
9 Iron-120
PW-130
52 wedge-110
58 wedge-80

Shows that I have plenty of work to do with my scoring clubs and have a few slightly redundant clubs

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My 6iron swing speed is about 92mph while my driver only just over 100

Carry my 6 iron 180 to 190 depending on strike while my driver is only 230ish