Club distances

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
why would a 5i have same shaft length and lie as a 7i?

Sorry - I really just don't get all the tech data around golf clubs and so for simple old me a 5i would always have less loft than a 7i and it would always have a longer shaft.

for me shorter shaft means more control of clubhead, and more loft gives greater forgiveness around angle of strike. So a 7i will ALWAYS be easoer to hit than a 5i. And so if I can reach a green using a 7i rather than a 5i why would I choose the 5i?

how do you think a lot of these distance improvements are achieved?

One of the guys i play with got a set of Tm Rocketballs irons a few years ago he was raving about how much further they went than his old irons. on one hole he hit a 6 iron that went 180 is his old irons went maybe 160. I took my 4 iron at the time and held it next to his 6 and they were the same length, he went home checked the lofts on the web and they were gone a few days later. his old irons have been back in the bag since

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
how do you think a lot of these distance improvements are achieved?

One of the guys i play with got a set of Tm Rocketballs irons a few years ago he was raving about how much further they went than his old irons. on one hole he hit a 6 iron that went 180 is his old irons went maybe 160. I took my 4 iron at the time and held it next to his 6 and they were the same length, he went home checked the lofts on the web and they were gone a few days later. his old irons have been back in the bag since

This might seem odd - and possibly unbelievable - to some, but I honestly have (had) no idea (maybe until now) as I have never taken any interest in golf club technology, configuring and trends - I have simply picked up a golf club and hit the ball - and how far and consistently it went I have always put down - in the main - to my swing.

Last edited:

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
It’s a strange conundrum you have when choosing what to buy. My playing partner who’s off +2 has just got the AP3, which surprised me a lot. He has the same shafts as me and pretty much identical custom fitting. I had a go with them and I was hitting them about 15 yards further.

Had a go on one of my approaches from about 165 yards which for me is a 7i. Then hit the AP3 7i and flew the green. Had another go with his 8i and when it hit the green it did not have the stopping stopping power as my 7i, it just came in higher, which I did not like. He loves the higher flight though cause he naturally has a low ball flight, compared to me who hits it high.

I think for some players, even low handicappers it could be worth checking out some of these irons. I’ve noticed a few tour players that have lower ball flights dropping long irons in from these sets.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I would like to see mark Crossfield or even golf monthly do a test between these GI clubs and forged 'players clubs' be that the pure blades like the titleist Mb or their middle of the road irons like the AP2.

We have all seen the comparisons on full shots. The general feedback is the GI clubs fly longer, have lower spin but a steeper land angle to compensate.

The test I would like to see is when playing on firm ground. If you play a knock down shot to get the ball flying in low and running up to either the green or up the green. does the GI clubs spin too low to actually control these shots?

Does the GI club knock in knuckle balls that roll for ever or is there much difference between playing that shot with a lets say less forgiving club.

I've noticed a friend of mine who is a good player struggle to control these types of shots recently when the ground is firm and running using GI clubs.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I would like to see mark Crossfield or even golf monthly do a test between these GI clubs and forged 'players clubs' be that the pure blades like the titleist Mb or their middle of the road irons like the AP2.

We have all seen the comparisons on full shots. The general feedback is the GI clubs fly longer, have lower spin but a steeper land angle to compensate.

The test I would like to see is when playing on firm ground. If you play a knock down shot to get the ball flying in low and running up to either the green or up the green. does the GI clubs spin too low to actually control these shots?

Does the GI club knock in knuckle balls that roll for ever or is there much difference between playing that shot with a lets say less forgiving club.

I've noticed a friend of mine who is a good player struggle to control these types of shots recently when the ground is firm and running using GI clubs.

my favored shot from the fringe and from 50 out is a bump and run with a 9 iron, when i switched from my MP62 to JPX825, i found it impossible to control that shot, the 50 yarder often went 75 and the chip from a fringe would though the other side. i ended up with my old 9 iron in the bag up until i had enough and went back to a players club.

Don't get me wrong for many high and straight with extra distance is not to be sneezed at, but there are times on the courses i play reg i need more than that. its a trade off i suppose

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Nope - cat 1 / links course....firmly in the 1%

(Suspect links course alone would put you there easily...but thought I'd keep the numbers rounded)

Playing companions will often tell me that I play 'good Scottish links golf' - I smile but don't say much as the truth is simply that I don't hit the ball as high as I would like, and I am rather feart to lob the ball up in the air from close to the green given my propensity to s***k it - so nothing in the way it is often a bump and run from 50yds in :)

94tegsi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When I went for a shaft fitting I ended up hitting with several different heads. Ranging from the P730's to the P790's. The 790's went miles and descent angles were similar when comparing the same distance shots. So the club required to hit 160yards from both sets, rather than say 8 iron versus 8 iron, as that would be most important rather than the number on the bottom.

I have always been tempted since, but have some concerns around punch shots etc as mentioned. Just wonder if the benefit of the more regular "standard" shots would outweigh the benefit.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Playing companions will often tell me that I play 'good Scottish links golf' - I smile but don't say much as the truth is simply that I don't hit the ball as high as I would like, and I am rather feart to lob the ball up in the air from close to the green given my propensity to s***k it - so nothing in the way it is often a bump and run from 50yds in :)

That might just be a polite way of saying you thin the ball a lot and can't chip and when you putt from 30 yards out:rofl: