Club distances

D

Deleted member 23344

Be prepared for a whole host of massive fibs, otherwise known as forum distances.

I'll be honest,

PW - 100yds
10-15 gaps going up to around 180yds for a 3w (the gaps reduce as I move up the bag)
I hit a drive 220yds last night but that was my country best, up the middle etc. Normally I am around the 200yd mark.

Be prepared for some interesting numbers :whistle:

That could have been me ... that’s pretty much my distances too.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
No, but surely you want to know how far the ball goes with each club when you do hit it out of where you are supposed to - the middle?

Absolute travesty if you are playing golf expecting to hit the ball a distance based on a **** strike. What if you hit it well??

The yardages for my club distances aren't based on 2 or 3 swings. They have been set over a long period of time and are continuously monitored by me when i'm practising.

Well that's where we differ - I can't be bothered with range-based practice...and never have. That I have been on our range last two days is me trying to fix a serious problem rather than practicing anything good. Much prefer lots of guess work when on the course ;)

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
Interesting looking at these two together; quite similar through the irons, but a big difference on the driver.

thesheriff - do you struggle to get the best out of your driver?

Yes, I tend to swing very smooth with the driver to avoid the weak heely strikes. Other players who drive as far or further than me are usually taking one or 2 more clubs into greens.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’ve said it before but it never ceases to amaze how accurate folks are in not only in shooting average distances that occur in round numbers i.e my x club goes 140-150 (what, not 132-142 then 142-152!) but also how they consistently manage only 10 yard gaps (or the occasional 5 yrd) right through the bag instead of 9 or 12!

Amazeballs fellas, you guys are machines :p
Well they are approximates and variable. On the contrary to what you've said, I would have thought someone who hits their 7 iron exactly 153 yards every single time to be more machine-like, wouldn't you?

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
Well that's where we differ - I can't be bothered with range-based practice...and never have. That I have been on our range last two days is me trying to fix a serious problem rather than practicing anything good. Much prefer lots of guess work when on the course ;)

I didn't say anything about a range.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I didn't say anything about a range.

So you monitor (and record) distances when playing practice knocks? Well I suppose I do also - but as I said - when I play I play the shot I 'feel' I want to play and don't stick to any one club for any distance - so monitoring and recording data in a precise way won't really help me that much in the way that you use it.

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
totally get that. And to some degree i'm the same. When i have a card in my hand and i'm deciding what club i need to hit, it's a calculation that factors in;

how far i know i hit each of my clubs
how i feel on the day
the lie
my stance
the conditions
the flag location

*TQ*

Club Champion
Visit site
Driver - 200
3w - 180
3h - 170
4h - 160
5 - 150
6 - 140
7 - 130
8 - 120
9 - 110
PW - 100
GW - 90
SW - 80

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Driver - Dont know. Depends on strike etc. General rule of thumb is that id be happy to try and carry hazards at a max of 250. Not saying i always clear them though...
4 Wood - 230 maybe a bit more
Hybrid - Brand new club so unsure yet. My old Adams was maybe 210-220 but that was a different beast to any club i've hit since
4 iron - Mainly use this to punch low on windy courses. Ids say maybe 205 plus a bit more on a full clean hit
5 iron - 195 probs. Possibly my least favourite club for some reason. Im guessing at this though.
6 iron 180 in normal conditions.
7 iron - 160--165 - My practice club on the range which i hit 170 with on the range with crappy balls.
8 iron - 155 max probs. I find my more lofted clubs can spin up HIGH and rob me of distance
9 iron -145
PW - 135 again i can whack this but id say 135 max in normal flat and still conditions.
50 deg - 110-115 Big gap here in my bag. I use bladed wedges the same as most but i hit them very high. I can pure a strike and send it vertical and struggle to get it past 100.
56 deg - 90 ish - again based on my SS this should go much further. I send them high
60 deg - Id never hit a full shot on the course with this so dont care about full strike. Only used for when height and stopping power are needed

The caveat to the above is that i need to strike the bloody ball properly. These numbers are what i choose the club based on on course distances to the flag.

Last point though to annoy some on here. I boom it over 300 LOADS!!! Seriously i can beast it past some tour pros. :D;)

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
its always amazes me when these threads come up how many forum members play in Colorado:rofl:

I have genuinely not seen any distances on here that i have not seen from PP's over the years. I dont understand why these are so controversial at all?

Ive seen people on here (not saying you Patrick) who are seasoned golfers yet they claim NEVER to have seen a drive hit over 300 yards.. I mean really? honestly?

Golf WRX distances on the other hand are....

Guys on there clain to hit there 7i 220 yards

Those types of figures are laughable for 99.99% of golfers, yet there are loads on WRX>

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
The distance I hit the ball depends on what day of the week it is. But this is what I expect on a normal day to be hitting the ball:

3W - 240
18* utility - 225
4i - 205
5i - 190
6i - 175
7i - 165
8i - 155
9i - 145
PW - 135
50* - 110
58* never ever hit it full

But like others have already said, it doesn't matter how far I hit the ball compared to you. What matters is that you learn to hit a reasonably consistent distance with your clubs and play to that. Do not start getting wrapped up with wanting to hit less club to try and keep up with other peoples distances. Let them stand there trying to hit 150 yard wedges that either come up short, or miss wide cause they tried to knock the skin off it. Then you can just stand there, hit a nice easy 7i into the middle.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have genuinely not seen any distances on here that i have not seen from PP's over the years. I dont understand why these are so controversial at all?

Ive seen people on here (not saying you Patrick) who are seasoned golfers yet they claim NEVER to have seen a drive hit over 300 yards.. I mean really? honestly?

Those types of figures are laughable for 99.99% of golfers, yet there are loads on WRX>

http://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/features/the-game/how-far-do-average-golfers-actually-hit-it-123891

People are always over estimating how far they hit it.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

i don't doubt some people can hit the ball a long way, but many don't and some off the averages are, From my experience, far from it. hiting a 3 wood 240 yards once isn't the average, the same as hitting the driver 300 yards, down wind, down hill and
when the ground is frozen solid isnt the average.

CarryDistanceSwingSpeedChart-600x218.jpg

many don't hit the ball anything as far as they think they do
have a look at this swing speed calc

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Don’t disagree one iota

However to suggest that zero members of this forum can whack a ball a country mile is naive at best.

Not suggesting that at all.

there will always be people who can hit above average.

But to say that 95% of people who posted on this thread are above the average on gamegolf is a bit hard to believe.

I doubt many are even doing it on purpose. It is just how it feels. I have people comment that my drives must be nearing 300 yards but actually they aren't even close my Gamegolf says my average total is 248. Trackman says my carry is around 242. But compared to the majority of people I play with I will be past them by a decent amount. They just think that they hit it around the 240 mark when in actual fact it is a lot less.

D

Deleted member 1147

Don’t disagree one iota

However to suggest that zero members of this forum can whack a ball a country mile is naive at best.

I suppose it comes down to whether or not anyone actually cares what other people believe!
I know how far I hit it, and any forummer who I’ve played with has witnessed me doing it. Anyone I haven’t played with can either believe it or not, it doesn’t matter to me.

I’m not even a big hitter, some of our scratch team make me look like a right whimp. Plus, I’ve played with and witnessed some big hitters on the forum - Wookie and his 3 wood for example, or Mendie seems to be a perennial long drive winner at H4Hs.

D

Deleted member 15344

I suppose it comes down to whether or not anyone actually cares what other people believe!
I know how far I hit it, and any forummer who I’ve played with has witnessed me doing it. Anyone I haven’t played with can either believe it or not, it doesn’t matter to me.

I’m not even a big hitter, some of our scratch team make me look like a right whimp. Plus, I’ve played with and witnessed some big hitters on the forum - Wookie and his 3 wood for example, or Mendie seems to be a perennial long drive winner at H4Hs.

From all the guys I have played with on the forum the consistent long hitter is Mendie , another who hit is true was Snelly , but one guy who is sneaky long is Sawtooth. Others around the same Handicap hit it regularly longer than me but the one thing I found I can do consistently a bit better than most is how often i ended up in the fairway - consistently find the fairway even if a good ten years behind most

As for the over question - I find the clubs go as far as I need them to get the hole finished