Club comps

rosie

Hacker
Visit site
So, back to golf last week, four games so far, some good, some bad and some hideous golf. Course feels completely safe, helped by the fact I have a campervan so can use my own toilet and hand washing facilities ?
Is anyone‘s club set a date for club comps to start? Are we likely to be playing any qualifiers anytime soon?

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I would guess that England Golf would have to give the green light on this?

We're all set up online, but right now we have raised cups. I've emailed our head greenkeeper and asked if we can go with the foam inserts instead, which are a million times better imo.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Most clubs will be following the England Golf guidelines. I believe that these do not allow for competitions currently and when these permit competitions clubs will start getting these organised.

My guess is July if all goes well.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Most clubs will be following the England Golf guidelines. I believe that these do not allow for competitions currently and when these permit competitions clubs will start getting these organised.

My guess is July if all goes well.

E.G. just suggested that clubs should start with non competitive golf but there is no restrictions on starting competitions when the club feels the time is right. We are starting with a couple of fun comps but we are starting our Singles matchplay and qualifying comps from June.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can I ask if the tee is reserved exclusively for the competition? From when to when? And Is the comp mixed?

(Just for info as I'm already dreading the inevitable argument I'm going to get into at my own club)

I would be interested to hear as well. Being back playing golf has boosted my mum no end and would be upset if her club closed off the tees at weekends for men only competitions. She really needs her golf at the moment as has missed so many things that would have been family time over lockdown that it is good to hear her happy again.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can I ask if the tee is reserved exclusively for the competition? From when to when? And Is the comp mixed?

(Just for info as I'm already dreading the inevitable argument I'm going to get into at my own club)
Karen anyone can play and it’s 7.36 till 12.30 entry for the comp

PaulS

Visit site
Excellent. Is that normal or have they switched to mixed given the circumstances? I'm hoping clubs will engage some common sense rather than reverting to the regular schedule.

We attempted to open up every tee time to all our members

The Ladies wanted to carry on their normal Thursday slot and there were arguments that the club wouldn’t allow them the reserved spot that they have every week. It has caused big issues and they have shot themselves in the foot- all the competitions that were open to all have been reverted back to Men only.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Excellent. Is that normal or have they switched to mixed given the circumstances? I'm hoping clubs will engage some common sense rather than reverting to the regular schedule.
As I remember it was last year as well.
As someone else mentioned the women wanted there own comp so it’s very rare to get a lady entry although I remember seeing 1 entry once.

PaulS

Visit site
Drives me mental!
A lot of hard work has been done over the last two years to open up more and more comps for everyone to play - the only people that refused were the ladies.

The recent week was the straw that broke the camels back - everyone in the club understands that right now whilst it’s 9 holes only and 2 balls we needed to open up to everyone, as soon as the membership saw that there was only one reserved booking for 4 hours it all kicked off. They refused to make any sacrifice and just expected things to be normal.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree totally
I would like comps to be open to all including juniors.
Although I believe our junior membership is very low if any at all.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All our knockout (board)comps are cancelled this year, with medals suspended. It's only social matchplay, 2 balls right now and first come first booked regardless of gender. The ladies only Wednesday morning reservation is suspended until normal service is resumed fully.