Chipping woes

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
HI = 4.5
My last game, Thursday, was 3 over par. Putts were 14 each nine. Two of the 28 putts were from just off the green. One of those two went in for a birdie. Also chipped in for a birdie.
One more birdie was on our shortest par 4. Good drive down wind. 20 yard chip and run with 8-iron to 3 feet.
Greens in regulation = 7.
Long game was average, mine doesn't vary much, good chipping and pitching turned it into a good score. I played well.

Later in the year, when there is more run on the fairways, I'll expect to be hitting shorter full-shots into the greens and see a better GIR score. I don't think I need to work on that aspect of the game. Keeping the feel for putting, chipping and pitching does need attention or that feel can lessen or disappear.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
PGA Tour average from 10 yards in the fairway is around 5ft. It’s unrealistic for the rest of us to expect to be anywhere near that.

Managing expectations is one area that I think a lot of amateur golfers need to be taught when they start. It might save us all a lot of frustration.

I think they all need to practice more. :whistle:

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think you’d need to see the greens these guys play on to understand how good 5 feet average is from 10 yards over a season. The slopes are crazy and they’re lightening quick. One of us would be doing very very well to get a chip to stop 10 feet away once not to mind on average over 100s of attempts under competition pressure conditions.

It’s not the same game. If they played your track every week that stat would be tap in distance. Forget their statistics!

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I think you’d need to see the greens these guys play on to understand how good 5 feet average is from 10 yards over a season. The slopes are crazy and they’re lightening quick. One of us would be doing very very well to get a chip to stop 10 feet away once not to mind on average over 100s of attempts under competition pressure conditions.

It’s not the same game. If they played your track every week that stat would be tap in distance. Forget their statistics!
I'll let you know after next year's trip to Pebble Beach and Spyglass! 🤣

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'll let you know after next year's trip to Pebble Beach and Spyglass! 🤣

Nice. If you get a caddy ask them to show you where the pins are on tournament Sunday. They probably won’t be competition quick (or everyone would be out there all day), but you get a sense of how small the flat area around a hole is. And where the ball goes if you get it a bit wrong on the wrong side. Frightening!

Enjoy, sounds like a dream trip 👌🏻

evemccc

Visit site
HI = 4.5
My last game, Thursday, was 3 over par. Putts were 14 each nine. Two of the 28 putts were from just off the green. One of those two went in for a birdie. Also chipped in for a birdie.
One more birdie was on our shortest par 4. Good drive down wind. 20 yard chip and run with 8-iron to 3 feet.
Greens in regulation = 7.
Long game was average, mine doesn't vary much, good chipping and pitching turned it into a good score. I played well.

Later in the year, when there is more run on the fairways, I'll expect to be hitting shorter full-shots into the greens and see a better GIR score. I don't think I need to work on that aspect of the game. Keeping the feel for putting, chipping and pitching does need attention or that feel can lessen or disappear.

I don’t keep stats but I can see the benefit of doing so.

Did you / do you tend to miss GIR through being short/long or left/right but greenside?

If you don’t have a tendency in missing GIR what is your / what is a good specific strategy for targeting GIR improvement?

Voyager EMH

Visit site
I don’t keep stats but I can see the benefit of doing so.

Did you / do you tend to miss GIR through being short/long or left/right but greenside?

If you don’t have a tendency in missing GIR what is your / what is a good specific strategy for targeting GIR improvement?
I thought that I had explained that in my post - GIR tends to improve significantly when the par 4s and 5s "play" shorter in the summer.
A "strategy" could be to convince the head greenkeeper to make the greens bigger and the course shorter.
Either that or move to a course with shorter holes and larger greens.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Chippers don't work for me with same issues. my chipper is 45 degrees and short shaft with weighted head MAZEL branded. no more than a wedge / nine iron. same issues under pressure and dead easy with flow.

done the one handed route myself after watching Jason Palmer do it to a high standard. keep praying for a cure/fix myself.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
I love chipping. For me it's about soft hands, feel, and imagination. Technically I practice controlling the low point on a variety of different shots. I often use a 7 iron to chip,use it like a putter. 👍

D

Deleted member 31467

The greens typically on the US tour are about 12 for regular events and a bit quicker for majors. A lot of the courses they use are resort or member country clubs so the greens are not silly as they are designed for normal golfers. My course aim for 11 in the summer and we do have greens that are quite sloping in places.

Big85

Visit site
Chippers don't work for me with same issues. my chipper is 45 degrees and short shaft with weighted head MAZEL branded. no more than a wedge / nine iron. same issues under pressure and dead easy with flow.

done the one handed route myself after watching Jason Palmer do it to a high standard. keep praying for a cure/fix myself.
Do you play at Kirby muxloe by any chance??

RichA

Visit site
I like playing golf shots and don't worry too much about my scores so I mostly play mini-lob shots around the green. On days when it just isn't working a toe-down, shaft upright putting stroke with an 8-iron is a pretty foolproof way of chipping the ball onto the green. But it's boring. I own an old Ram chipper that achieves the exact same result, but that's boring too. If I was worried about my scores I'd probably just use the chipper all the time.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
So what was that?

I was taught the chip shot just lifted the ball over the fluffy fringe then rolled up to the hole just like a putt which is why it was mostly called the chip and run.
Today, everyone seems to be teaching the mini lob using the bounce of the SW/LW which flies most of the way and stops quickly.

D

Deleted member 1147

I was taught the chip shot just lifted the ball over the fluffy fringe then rolled up to the hole just like a putt which is why it was mostly called the chip and run.
Today, everyone seems to be teaching the mini lob using the bounce of the SW/LW which flies most of the way and stops quickly.
if you did the same shot with a 7 iron it would be a chip & run, thus the action is the same. No?