Chipping woes

Larry long dog

Visit site
Been struggling for a couple of years now (and it’s what is holding me back from getting lower than 5) and last year opted for one handed chipping. I’ve tried 2 handed through the winter without much success tbh so sticking with one handed until I splash out and go and see DG at Woburn for short game clinic.

I’m not caving in and buying a chipper as clearly have too much pride!

So much more freedom and better tempo with one hand. Can’t get my head round why though but I guess if it works it doesn’t matter.

Anyone else been to DG or chip one handed?

evemccc

Visit site
Been struggling for a couple of years now (and it’s what is holding me back from getting lower than 5) and last year opted for one handed chipping. I’ve tried 2 handed through the winter without much success tbh so sticking with one handed until I splash out and go and see DG at Woburn for short game clinic.

So much more freedom and better tempo with one hand. Can’t get my head round why though but I guess if it works it doesn’t matter.

His instagram is useful to look at. Plenty of nuggets on there in terms of short video clips.
Also he featured some weeks back on the Immelmann podcast with a discussion on short-game shot-selection

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site

I've just bought his book. I've the same issue with a lob wedge in hand. Give me a 9i, pw 52 or 56 and I'm OK with little bump and run type chips, but, my short game is so one dimensional. As soon as I need height or a soft landing from around the greens or in a bunker I'm in trouble.

Albo

Visit site
You have a magnificent handicap if you’re down at 5 and chipping one handed! Seriously well done.
Thankfully I have not had the woes so bad that I’ve turned to try one handed.
Pal of mine chips badly, had a lesson off his local pro and now chips ok, not brilliant, but more often than not now his next shot is a putt rather than another chip from a fat or thin attempt.
Go get a lesson that is a good idea (sorry no input on DG - whoever that is).
And I totally hear you regarding not getting a chipper, but I think my ego would take more of a dent from chipping one handed!!!!!

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Check out scratch at 50 on YouTube from a poster on here. Some good chipping videos.

also mark crossfield has been saying that a chipper would improve a lot of people’s bags recently and the linked of ping do good ones. Personally for me chipping is not about one club so I can’t see a fit

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks all so far-I knew I wouldn’t be alone 😂

DG - Dan Grieve - supposed to be amazing…like our Bobmac

Aw shucks, thanks.
One thing I would add.....
Don't get confused between a chip and a pitch.
A chip is a shot played from close to the green, is normally played with a straighter faced club and spends most of its journey on the ground rolling. There's no need to reach for a SW or LW and start worrying about the bounce.
Only use a SW or LW if you have to hit the ball over something or your greens are very fast and you want to stop the ball quickly.

A pitch is a longer shot that will require more loft that will enable you to land the ball on the green and stop fairly quickly so one of your wedges can be used, depending on how quickly you want the ball to stop. A good rule of thumb is..... PW for a back pin, SW for a middle pin and LW for a front pin.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks Bob. I’m fine pitching from 30 yards so pitching isn’t really the issue.

It’s almost like the chipping yips

The yips mostly come from lack of confidence which comes from many failures which comes from poor/confused technique.
Get the technique right (compared to a full swing, it's not difficult) and your success rate will improve along with your confidence. When you get it, you'll realise how easy it is and wonder what all the fuss was about

Larry long dog

Visit site
The yips mostly come from lack of confidence which comes from many failures which comes from poor/confused technique.
Get the technique right (compared to a full swing, it's not difficult) and your success rate will improve along with your confidence. When you get it, you'll realise how easy it is and wonder what all the fuss was about
You’re spot on Bob - my head is scrambled 😂

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
One thing noticeable with this is your tempo is incredible. Mine is rushed due to the anxiety.

And what causes anxiety? lack of confidence.

As you have this in your head, you're going to need to practice more but you must practice the correct technique.
There is no short cut.

I'd advise these swing thoughts...
Accelerate through the ball to a low finish

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Chipping used to be a strength for me but I too lost all confidence and it's now the worst part of my game.
For me a key part in chipping is ensuring that your hips and body turn, even on the short chips Bob is making you can see his body turning, this reduces the tendency to yip with your hands and arms.
I know all this but still yip!

Captain_Black.

Visit site
My Chipping is fine, I put to ball back in my stance & rarely muck it up.
Where I struggle however is off a tight lie.
If I haven't got to go over a bunker, I grip down on a hybrid & use a putting stroke.
It works really well, it eliminates chunks & thinning it through the green.