Chipping Left Handed - with back of hybrid!!!

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
If it gets you back to Cat 1 Mr G it will be well worth it :thup: look forward to hearing how you get on but now wandering if you'll need to fill you bag with hybrids to broaden your chipping options... do adams do a 60 degree ;)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Linear method. Reverted to it for this season and up and down at 31% compared to 14% for the whole of 2014. It's made a huge difference and I can play off the muddiest and wettest lie. And in answer to RickG's opening tirade I think you'll find my short game is worse (well was) than yours. I am definitely the worse chipper (conventionally) on the forum

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure if it's the same technique, but there was video recently of Lee Westwood hit full shots cack handed, in that is left hand was lower than his right

http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2015/02/lee-westwood-shows-off-his-cro.html

Its the bit at the very bottom of the page before the adverts that reminded me of your chipping yips Rick

This is interesting.........I have been trying with the back of the hybrid chipping left hand below right, but chipping as a left hander, so that's how they would do it..........but I do like the sound of the left hand below right to chip right handed........especially if it stops the hands flipping.

Will give this a go tomorrow.......

Ps it's not the yips!!!

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is interesting.........I have been trying with the back of the hybrid chipping left hand below right, but chipping as a left hander, so that's how they would do it..........but I do like the sound of the left hand below right to chip right handed........especially if it stops the hands flipping.

Will give this a go tomorrow.......

Ps it's not the yips!!!

Whatever you say Tiger

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
Had a very interesting practice session after work tonight.

Decided to chip from dry ground to try and get the confidence back and boy did it work. :thup:
I also resorted to my old ORKA RS3 9 iron to chip with as I always liked looking down on it.
Chipping from around 20 yards from the fringe and semi rough, and I placed the ball a bit further forward in my stance and adopted a shallower angle to prevent digging in.

I think the results speak for themselves.

image.jpg

I was chipping from the opposite side to where I took this photo, so hardly any left short either which was really pleasing.

Amazing what a bit of confidence can do......I'd clearly lost mine massively to such an extent that I'd convinced myself that I couldn't chip and was resorting to drastic measures. Maybe my back of the hybrid shot will come out at some point, maybe not...who knows?

Hoping to spend a bit more time practicing now before the weekends comps to keep the confidence levels up.

D

Deleted member 15344

Good to see Rick :thup:

Will you put a single club in the bag just for chipping ?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Did you try with the Benross 9 or 8 iron ?

Stupid question but is it that different to your current 9 iron to just swop like for like?

Either way, glad you have some confidence back Rick, and now you also have an extra shot in your locker if you ever end up against a tree :D

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
Stupid question but is it that different to your current 9 iron to just swop like for like?
No mate, the Benross are quite a bit longer, but I'm thinking of swapping the Benross PW for the ORKA 9 iron.....going to do some range testing to check distance comparisons.....I think they'll be very similar.

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
Looks an awesome spot to practice chipping. Loads of room to practice chip and runs.
It's an awesome warm up/practice area Gary.......it's one of the original par 3's complete with 5 different tee boxes, 3 large bunkers and has a large tiered green with 3 flags, front middle and back.

When the new owners took over, bought some extra land and added in the opening 3 holes, this one became a perfect short game area.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's an awesome warm up/practice area Gary.......it's one of the original par 3's complete with 5 different tee boxes, 3 large bunkers and has a large tiered green with 3 flags, front middle and back.

When the new owners took over, bought some extra land and added in the opening 3 holes, this one became a perfect short game area.

Dreamland. I would need my own parking space for that. no excuses Rick with that set up. ;)

john0

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Rick have you tried using a left handed wedge for your chipping? It might just be a case of you chip better left handed

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
Rick have you tried using a left handed wedge for your chipping? It might just be a case of you chip better left handed

No, not considered it.....probably not needed now anyway as I seem to have found my long lost technique......

We do have a couple of left handers at the club (standards slipping!) I might ask to have a hit with one of theirs to try it.........