Chipping Left Handed - with back of hybrid!!!

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interesting write up mate.
Just out of curiosity are all the balls in the picture shots from the same spot?

What club was you using from that position where your bag was?to me
that's a minimum of a 7 iron.

Not all those balls were mine, plus there are 3 flags on the short game area and some of those shorter ones were to the middle flag, but generally mine were still short.

I was using an 8 iron originally before I started with the hybrid, but it was de-lofted and off the back foot ( Al la Peltz "it's impossible to duff it like this " video) :confused:

The decent ones with the 8 iron were fine, but way too many ended up about 6 inches in front of me!! :eek:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Have you tried without all the shaft lean?

Very difficult to fat the ball when the sole of the club is lower than the leading edge.

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have you tried without all the shaft lean?

Very difficult to fat the ball when the sole of the club is lower than the leading edge.

Yes Gary, tried, with, without, in out and shaken it all about..........the outcome is the same....like I said previously, I've tried every method known to man....I even tried a chipper once and managed to chunk it!!! I'm a lost cause!

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes Gary, tried, with, without, in out and shaken it all about..........the outcome is the same....like I said previously, I've tried every method known to man....I even tried a chipper once and managed to chunk it!!! I'm a lost cause!

Will be dangerous off 8 will be a bloody bandit off 9:D

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
You won't dig into the ground once it dries out.
Agreed, but by the time the ground has dried out I'm a wreck and end up using the Texas wedge a lot as I don't have any confidence.
The wet ground just exposes my poor technique.....I still have poor technique when it dries out and the results aren't as bad, but it doesn't fix it.....

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Agreed, but by the time the ground has dried out I'm a wreck and end up using the Texas wedge a lot as I don't have any confidence.
The wet ground just exposes my poor technique.....I still have poor technique when it dries out and the results aren't as bad, but it doesn't fix it.....

So are you really contemplating using the back of a hybrid to chip with in comps?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our greens have a small fringe area and then straight to rough - at the moment that rough is rough as hell and a decent lie a rarity. I'm usually a pretty decent player around the greens but messed up a few of late. Yesterday I used my hybrid but the right way round to chip when the lie was iffy and not much green to play with. It's something I've done before but managed to forget about!

Never tried the back of club left handed version though!

Perhaps get hold of a cheap left handed wedge and see how you get on? Don't turn it into a right handed club though ;-)

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I am much better at chipping left handed than right handed, probably because I used to bat left handed at cricket and a chip feels like a forward defensive shot. Unfortunately I play golf right handed! I have considered carrying one left handed club just for chipping, but the problem is, which one? BTW I did try playing golf both left and right handed when I first started playing the game, but concluded I was generally better right handed.

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
So are you really contemplating using the back of a hybrid to chip with in comps?
Hard to say....will probably depend on the circumstances, the ground conditions and my score at the time........if it's a less than perfect lie and I'm standing over it thinking " I don't fancy this", then I'll consider it as an option........I think until I'm in that situation, I can't really answer it.

Will also need to practice it a lot more before trying it in earnest......bounce games though, would definitely try it.

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
Perhaps get hold of a cheap left handed wedge and see how you get on? Don't turn it into a right handed club though ;-)
Lol Amanda, ...perhaps I can employ the services of Batchworth's short game guru DelC.........he's the man to help me through this patch.........can you chip with a claw grip? :rofl:

D

Deleted member 15344

Will look forward to seeing it jn action

In all the times I have played a round with you mate I can't ever recall you having issues with chipping mate ?

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
Will look forward to seeing it jn action

In all the times I have played a round with you mate I can't ever recall you having issues with chipping mate ?
I hide it well but inside, the demons are hard at work and I'm always just one shot away from a duff......every chip is usually followed by a huge sigh of relief when the ball ends up somewhere on the green........I'm not renowned for my up and downs....

D

Deleted member 15344

I hide it well but inside, the demons are hard at work and I'm always just one shot away from a duff......every chip is usually followed by a huge sigh of relief when the ball ends up somewhere on the green........I'm not renowned for my up and downs....

Is there a lot of movement in the legs when chipping ? Or is it a case of forcing the ball up which causes the leading edge o dig in then duff the ball ?