Chipping Yips

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Personally, I find I get very little reward for short game practice at this time of year. Lies are filthy, and the greens don't react was they do in the summer.
When I'm playing, I try and keep things as basic as possible, often relying on the upright shaft/toe down method to minimise the chance of getting a fat strike. It isn't pretty, but you can use quite low lifted clubs to get the ball a reasonable distance, or more lofted for shorter ones.

I feel the same way about putting, you can work on strike, but it's easy to get misled by bumpy slow greens.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Didn’t he dismiss it almost straight away?
Not at all. Totally respected and understood what he wanted me to do ans went away and spent a number of months desperately trying to swing shorter. However after 30+ years of over-swinging it has been something that I have simply been unable to implement successfully. That is a world of away from dismissing it. I sat down with the teaching pro I used, and who has seen both videos I put up and we discussed it. As a result, we have worked significantly on the way I rotate and exit and ironically can get to a much shorter finish position, just can't get to the short position going back.

In response to saving_par, I am not working with different guys and have been with the guy I use now for three-four years. I wanted to simply see if a more conventional short game method would reap any dividends over and above the linear version. I happen to disagree about the long game holding me back and dispersion, especially off the tee is tightening up significantly. I am probably missing to many greens in regulation from 150 yards and in and so thats an area I need to look at (perhaps I need a new Game Golf set to get accurate data)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not at all. Totally respected and understood what he wanted me to do ans went away and spent a number of months desperately trying to swing shorter. However after 30+ years of over-swinging it has been something that I have simply been unable to implement successfully. That is a world of away from dismissing it. I sat down with the teaching pro I used, and who has seen both videos I put up and we discussed it. As a result, we have worked significantly on the way I rotate and exit and ironically can get to a much shorter finish position, just can't get to the short position going back.

In response to saving_par, I am not working with different guys and have been with the guy I use now for three-four years. I wanted to simply see if a more conventional short game method would reap any dividends over and above the linear version. I happen to disagree about the long game holding me back and dispersion, especially off the tee is tightening up significantly. I am probably missing to many greens in regulation from 150 yards and in and so thats an area I need to look at (perhaps I need a new Game Golf set to get accurate data)

You say its 30 years of over swinging but you can do so easily it's not even funny. Watch from 9.30 in part 2 of the lesson. paul was pulling his hair out for an hour and a half and then you are trying to show him something and do exactly what he had been asking you to do.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You say its 30 years of over swinging but you can do so easily it's not even funny. Watch from 9.30 in part 2 of the lesson. paul was pulling his hair out for an hour and a half and then you are trying to show him something and do exactly what he had been asking you to do.

I know. I WAS THERE! On the day I simply couldn't get it from head into the body. I know it is in there but it has been so difficult for me to do it regularly and consistently and I have really tried over last winter to break the circle and just never managed to find a way to get to the top of the swing and then keep going with the arms

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I know. I WAS THERE! On the day I simply couldn't get it from head into the body. I know it is in there but it has been so difficult for me to do it regularly and consistently and I have really tried over last winter to break the circle and just never managed to find a way to get to the top of the swing and then keep going with the arms

The answer is right there in the video. You did it twice in a row with consummate ease. Take your swing to the top and stop. Then start your downswing. Bob talks about doing that regularly. "A slight pause" It was one of butch Harmon's fav drills for tiger.

I've seen videos of you years ago with a much shorter swing and far better path. Dont give up on it.