Celtic manor - 2010 Course, bad start!!

sambora666

Club Champion
Visit site
Am off to play the 2010 course on Saturday morning and just got a call from Celtic Manor confirming the tee time etc. So a good start.

Then they say "we have paired you with another 2 ball for your 10.10am tee time".

Sorry but I am going with a friend to enjoy the course and the day, the other 2 ball might be great company but as it costs £90 per round I think it is very wrong to try and force groups to join so they can get more people out on the course and make more £.

Rant over. But really got my back up!!

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
As said above. I personally wouldn't have a problem with this. I've played with mates and joined other two balls at various courses and you either get on really well and start shooting the breeze as a four ball or worse case scenario you do the pleasantries on each tee and play your own game. Never stopped me enjoying a round.

I can certainly see where you're coming from but YOU ARE PLAYING THE TWENTY TEN COURSE! Enjoy it! :)

sambora666

Club Champion
Visit site
I agree that the other 2 ball might be a great laugh, but surley it is up to me to decide if I want to play with another 2 ball when £180 for 2 ball is being forked out.

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wouldn't be too happy either if that happend to me either. You have paid good money to play it and you booked it as a 2 ball.

99% of the time everything will be fine and you will probely have a really good time playing as a 4 ball but there is a slight chance that for whatever reason you may not get on that well with the other 2 and it could spoil it abit for you both.

When you booked is there any mention that they may make up 4 balls with other people if the course is busy?

End of the day whatever happens make the most of it and enjoy your day and let us know what it's like to play as i wouldn't mind giving it a go after being there for the ryder cup.

D

Deleted member 1147

It's pretty standard fair for busy corporate golf destinations to do this.
Have you read the small print?

sambora666

Club Champion
Visit site
Yeah small print states they may pair groups up, but you need to cancel 7 days before to get a full refund otherwise you have to pay 100%.

My agruement is that they should notify me of this change to my booking (as booked as a 2 ball) 7 days before so i have the chance to cancel.

I am sure it will be fine in 4 ball but just really annoys me.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah small print states they may pair groups up, but you need to cancel 7 days before to get a full refund otherwise you have to pay 100%.

My agruement is that they should notify me of this change to my booking (as booked as a 2 ball) 7 days before so i have the chance to cancel.

I am sure it will be fine in 4 ball but just really annoys me.

Life is too short to worry about stuff like this. You're getting the opportunity to play a stunning golf course, and paying good money for it. Don't let something trivial like this ruin your experience!

S

Snelly

I would look at this positively personally. You might have new friends for life!

Griping about playing partners is the least of your worries if you are playing the 2010 course after all the rain that has fallen.

Quagmire is the word that leaps to mind.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would look at this positively personally. You might have new friends for life!

Griping about playing partners is the least of your worries if you are playing the 2010 course after all the rain that has fallen.

Quagmire is the word that leaps to mind.

Couldn't have put it better! I'm insanely jealous of him, but hoping to get the chance to play it later in the year. *crosses fingers*

mikepops

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm a member of the other two Celtic Manor courses, but get no privileges on the Twenty Ten. Last year a mate and I played, paying full whack, and were paired up (as the website suggested we might be), with a pair of middle aged ladies (we were 24 & 25).

Our hearts sank when we found out, as the thoughts of traipsing between tees etc worried us.

I felt awful after though, as they were wonderful company, and if anything being paired up made the day more enjoyable. They also invited us to play at their home course in Staffordshire. Embrace it - you never know who you might be playing with - the group in front of us included George Burley!

I think it is unreasonable to expect a venue to forfeit 50% of their potential revenue. If they didn't have that policy, I would imagine you would be paying a lot more than £90 each to pay as a pair.

Just enjoy the day - it is a wonderful course, and just make sure you take plenty of balls!

sambora666

Club Champion
Visit site
Chaps I am sure it will be a really good day, and I am looking forward to it.

Suppose it might focus me about more playing with strangers rather than just a mate.

Will let you no how the course is, should be dry as hasn't rained all week, slight chance of a frost tho.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm a member of the other two Celtic Manor courses, but get no privileges on the Twenty Ten. Last year a mate and I played, paying full whack, and were paired up (as the website suggested we might be), with a pair of middle aged ladies (we were 24 & 25).

Our hearts sank when we found out, as the thoughts of traipsing between tees etc worried us.

I felt awful after though, as they were wonderful company, and if anything being paired up made the day more enjoyable. They also invited us to play at their home course in Staffordshire. Embrace it - you never know who you might be playing with - the group in front of us included George Burley!

I think it is unreasonable to expect a venue to forfeit 50% of their potential revenue. If they didn't have that policy, I would imagine you would be paying a lot more than £90 each to pay as a pair.

Just enjoy the day - it is a wonderful course, and just make sure you take plenty of balls!

It surprises me that you don't get any playing privileges on the Twenty Ten if you're a member of the other two. I'd have thought, at the very least, you'd get discounted green fees.

I really cannot wait to play it.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
What's the problem with playing with someone else other than your mate?

Surely one of the major elements of the game is playing with new people and not just your mates. the first club I was a member at always paired players and it was a great way to meet new people.

It probably makes financial sense for them to have all 4 balls going out, good on them for pairing up.

What if this was a single player who was looking for a game and was forced to play on their own due to people as unsocial as you.

This is my pet hate about the game too many people now just play with the same groups week after week. it was a problem at my last club people just wanting to play with there mates and single players rocking up on the midweek stableford often would have to wait hours till another single turned up.

Rant over
:D

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
If you got onto a train, would you expect noone else to be in your carriage?
Golf courses primary task is money making, a tee time can make four green fees, if they are sending everyone out in twos, they are 50% down in revenue. Look at St Andrews, they are very firm about this.

mjmgolfer

Hacker
Visit site
You never know who you might end up playing with.

Summer last year i was lucky enough to play Wentworth and the starter on the tee was telling us about this pairing up thing as they do it if its busy. On one occasion a 3 ball were playing and a guy on his own wanted to play so they wanted to make it a 4 ball. The 3 ball werent keen on the idea but the starter promised them the guy was a decent player and a good laugh, which only seemed fair when Ernie Els walked up.

sambora666

Club Champion
Visit site
I have no issue playing with different people we have random draws at my club for all competitons every weekend.

Everyone has different opinions hence this forum ticks over.

All I was saying was that if a large amount is being paid on a green fee I personally believe that those playing should have the right to decide if they want to play with others.

It is a one in life time oppotunity for many people to play this course. So it should be as memorable as poss.