Celtic manor - 2010 Course, bad start!!

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have no issue playing with different people we have random draws at my club for all competitons every weekend.

Everyone has different opinions hence this forum ticks over.

All I was saying was that if a large amount is being paid on a green fee I personally believe that those playing should have the right to decide if they want to play with others.

It is a one in life time oppotunity for many people to play this course. So it should be as memorable as poss.

I get what you're saying, but as was pointed out, if they didn't do this, you probably would have been paying green fees of ALOT more.

Plus, £90 is peanuts! :(

I have no doubts you'll enjoy your day, the weather looks like it's going to be marvellous too.

sambora666

Club Champion
Visit site
Aztecs, Wentworth is 15 minutes from me and I know a few people who have leisure membership there and they are looking to get some friends book in.

I refuse to pay £350 for a around.

Most I have paid todate is £130 for a round at Sawgrass, that was 7 years ago mind ;-)

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I've played several courses as a single golfer and been paired up with others.

And NEVER had an issue with it. In fact, it's good fun. Even the Korean couple, where the wife spoke no English. My heart sank at the thought of small talk and no talk when I heard that, but... she asked her husband how to say "good shot" in English, so she could congratulate me (admittedly only hit three in the round! :) ).

Played in Florida, and paired up with a couple half way round (four-ball refused to let me through!), who were lovely. They also recommended another course to me, which turned out to be the BEST course I've ever played. And the three guys I joined up with at another course who then refused to let me buy them a drink in the bar, and got me one instead, and invited my wife and me to join them and their wives for a massive beach barbeque and street party.

There were two guys in Florida who really didn't want to be paired up with me, and the starter gave me the option of going out off the 10th, or he could force them to let me join. I of course opted to start on the 10th! I won't tell you what I thought of them, but quite frankly that attitude stinks!

To close this essay, imagine this. You and your mate, as a two-ball stand on the first tee at the Twenty-Ten course, and look down the fairway to a four-ball. And another on the green. You look across to other tees and fairways, and see four-balls. Nothing but fourballs all over the course.
How long is your round going to take? Still want to be a two-ball?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I would rather be paired up.

If the whole course is chokka with 4 balls, being the only 2 ball will either be very slow, or a continual rush to play through, grind to a halt, rush to get through jobby. Either way, not much fun.

I have played a lot of hliday golf, on some quite expensive tracks, and have always enjoyed pairing up. I would always expect the course to make 4s up if possible.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Aztecs, Wentworth is 15 minutes from me and I know a few people who have leisure membership there and they are looking to get some friends book in.

I refuse to pay £350 for a around.

Most I have paid todate is £130 for a round at Sawgrass, that was 7 years ago mind ;-)

Can you put in a good word for me with your mates? ;) I'd love to take a couple of mates up there to play it, but really cannot justify the £350 price tag in peak season!

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Have played there twice now, both times we had a spare two ball in the group. The first time we didn't get the two paired up, last time we did.I guess it depends on how busy they are on the day. Too bad that I played absolute crap on the 2010 both times - weather didn't help though.

Last time we also played the Monty there,supposed to pair up the two ball, which because of bookings, meant the pair had to wait an extra two tee times. Was not happy with that, so the starter let us follow our last four ball, slotting in before the next fourball. We played through our own group pretty quickly so it didn't hold anyone up, and I played much better on this course than the 2010.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You never know who you might end up playing with.

Summer last year i was lucky enough to play Wentworth and the starter on the tee was telling us about this pairing up thing as they do it if its busy. On one occasion a 3 ball were playing and a guy on his own wanted to play so they wanted to make it a 4 ball. The 3 ball werent keen on the idea but the starter promised them the guy was a decent player and a good laugh, which only seemed fair when Ernie Els walked up.

That is the stuff that dreams are made of.

sambora666

Club Champion
Visit site
I would agree that Ernie is a very nice bloke, went to the HSBC world match a few years back and went on the pro am day. Followed Ernie while everyone else was hounding Tigers group.

Ernie was chatting to everyone on the tee, signing autographs and also giving advice on different types bunker shots to people as they were waiting - whilst he also demonstrated them.

Was fantastic watching a pro from a few yards away and seeing there touch from bunkers and chipping around the greens.

He also has a fantasit house on the edge of the 16th!!

funkyfred

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Am off to play the 2010 course on Saturday morning and just got a call from Celtic Manor confirming the tee time etc. So a good start.

Then they say "we have paired you with another 2 ball for your 10.10am tee time".

Sorry but I am going with a friend to enjoy the course and the day, the other 2 ball might be great company but as it costs £90 per round I think it is very wrong to try and force groups to join so they can get more people out on the course and make more £.

Rant over. But really got my back up!!

Me and my mate who has never hit a golf ball in his life have just been given our tee off time to play the 2010 course this Saturday. 10.10. ;) ;)
Apparently we have been paired up with some right proper golfers who have paid £90 each. I told my mate not to tell them we have got it on a 2 fore 1 :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Never mind my mate is a right funny bloke and he can fart at will, so it should be a right jolly up with these other two geezers. Do you think they will let us take some booze on to the course? :D :D

Only joking samborra, my mate plays off 7 and we're tied up in some pairs comp on Saturday in Kent. Just go out and enjoy it. :D :D

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have no issue playing with different people we have random draws at my club for all competitons every weekend.

Everyone has different opinions hence this forum ticks over.

All I was saying was that if a large amount is being paid on a green fee I personally believe that those playing should have the right to decide if they want to play with others.

It is a one in life time oppotunity for many people to play this course. So it should be as memorable as poss.

Well in that case I want to play the old course on my own to enjoy every moment of it! Yeah right like that is ever going to hapopen if you wanted to play as a 2 ball book the four slots or stop whining. You never read the small print so thats that.

steviep

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm a member of the other two courses, and on the last few occasions I've taken my nephew for a game we've been paired up and we've enjoyed the other groups company. Some of the golf has been ropey, but that's as much me as anyone else.
We've just been unlucky with the weather as we had to come in the last time we played as it started snowing heavily. :(
Anyway, today the sun is shining and there's not a cloud in the sky. Hopefully this keeps up you'll have a great day on Saturday.

S

Snelly

Snelly, Has been beautiful here for the last couple of days,so course should be great,Samborra enjoy your day mate...

Hope so for the sake of those playing.

When I played the 2010 it was after a bit of rain and was very muddy. I didn't like the course much either.

I am not tring to put a downer on the day though.

Hope you have fun and that you get drawn to play with 2 x 22 year old Swedish au pairs who play off single figures and are looking for a wild night awfterwards too!

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Had the pleasure of playing the 2010 late last Year. Without a doubt my best golfing memory of the Year. Course is fantastic imo. Great layout and so many risk/reward moments.

The whole package from the Celtic Manor resort is top notch, you will get looked after from the moment you land to the time you leave.

Enjoy!

B

birdieman

Look at St Andrews, they are very firm about this.

I played the Old in a 2 ball, quite fast too, 4 balls are really slow and I understand the OP's gripe. If you book a 2 ball they should say at the time we'll be making you into a 4, bit underhand imo.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm not too fussed about being paired up as I know I can drag ANYONE down to my level. I've played a few opens and so everyone there is a stranger as it is a random draw. Most guys are pretty good but you got the odd one so focussed (think Faldo in his pomp and rack up the focus another 50%) who frankly are so up their own derriere anyway.

I'm sure the other pair will have exactly the same feelings about playing with you so you're all in it together. You can either make the best of it and try and have a laugh and enjoy it or you can pair off with your mate and endure difficult silences on the tees and greens with little or no small talk. You're playing a great course so go enjoy the day and have fun

mikepops

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm a member of the other two Celtic Manor courses, but get no privileges on the Twenty Ten.

It surprises me that you don't get any playing privileges on the Twenty Ten if you're a member of the other two. I'd have thought, at the very least, you'd get discounted green fees.

I really cannot wait to play it.

I know, I had hoped they might soften their stance, at least after the RC, but it does cost a lot to join the Twenty Ten (£3k joining fee, £3k a year!), so I imagine members would get pretty shirty if people were "sneaking" in.

A lot of normal CM members do get reduced fees as they know people who are members of the Twenty Ten as well, but for new members like me there was no way of getting any benefits sadly.

I understand their point of view, but if I could get on for even £50, I would have played more than a few times this year, but, as I say, I understand why it is how it is.

I think they will struggle hugely with membership this year though. The draw last year was the RC, as it included a season ticket, an option to buy more, and a dedicated members pavilion on either the 16th or 17th (can't remember which). Not sure there will be many people willing to spend £6k now.