Cavity wall insulation

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My neighbour is having this installed today and I was chatting to the fitters, he estimated £800-£1200 to have my bungalow done with an estimated £300 savings in heating bills.
Any one had this done on their property and is it worth looking into ?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Isn’t the cavity there for a reason? Do new build houses have it put in as standard?

The cavity was the old way of insulating the house against the cold, as the heat/cold shouldn’t travel as readily across the gap iirc. However methods of building and insulation have moved on considerably.

There have been some success stories with cavity wall insulation and equally some disasters, causing damp amongst them. I’d personally be inclined to leave it as is unless you’ve had an expert look at it and advise the best course of action.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
The cavity was the old way of insulating the house against the cold, as the heat/cold shouldn’t travel as readily across the gap iirc. However methods of building and insulation have moved on considerably.

There have been some success stories with cavity wall insulation and equally some disasters, causing damp amongst them. I’d personally be inclined to leave it as is unless you’ve had an expert look at it and advise the best course of action.

This is sound advice, damp could be a problem if not done right.
You really need a professional to tell you if it’s possible.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mine was doneby the previous occupants and is fine (fairly modern house with breeze block walls). I did have a problem with forcing damp when one of the gutter was leaking regularly down the wall due to a blockage but there have been no problems since the wall dried out .

I have read/ heard of some people with older style houses having problems.
Isn’t the cavity there for a reason? Do new build houses have it put in as standard?

All new build house have some sort of insulation between the cavities as standard and is a building regs requirement. My extension which is constructed the same way has just Rockwall between each wall but I believe modern stuff is sandwich insulation with a reflective face.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dampness is no longer a problem as the insulation materials have progressed. When the old Ufoam was the norm water could transfer from the outer wall to the inner via the ties.
The savings can be considerable.

Incidentally, wasn't it Rockwool?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
My neighbour is having this installed today and I was chatting to the fitters, he estimated £800-£1200 to have my bungalow done with an estimated £300 savings in heating bills.
Any one had this done on their property and is it worth looking into ?
Dampness is no longer a problem as the insulation materials have progressed. When the old Ufoam was the norm water could transfer from the outer wall to the inner via the ties.

What type is the installer proposing?

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

What type is the installer proposing?[/QUOTE

Don't know they come and do a survey.
Seem quite thorough, they flush the cavity out first before pumping in the jollop. I'll report back after the survey.

D

Deleted member 3432

Unfortunately I have solid walls so for my plan to ditch gas for a heat pump and induction hob I need to insulate a few walls .. outside is hard due to everything we have on them

Inside we lose space

A couple rooms we can do inside no issue

It's the stairs that would be a pain

Pic you posted recently showed a modern house that will 100% be cavity wall.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pic you posted recently showed a modern house that will 100% be cavity wall.

It's not that modern , 1935 build, the extention out back is cavity and insulated I believe

Loft is 2019 build and fine

The survey when we moved said solid walls and a house down road just had the solid outside insulation done

D

Deleted member 3432

It's not that modern , 1935 build, the extention out back is cavity and insulated I believe

Loft is 2019 build and fine

The survey when we moved said solid walls and a house down road just had the solid outside insulation done

Ah, must have been looking at extension ?

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My house is a 1930s build and has cavity walls.
Kind of assumed that was standard for builds post-WW1.
Surprised to hear yours has solid walls.
Mine is circa 1936/7/8 and has solid walls. (Ditto previous house). South and west facing walls are like a heat sink in the summer months. Can't cool them down even though the previous owner had pebble dashed and painted them white...

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
My house was built in 1949 and we have no cavity. When I first moved in I had a company down to install the insulation, they drilled a few exploratory holes around the front and side and found it was solid.

Solid floor downstairs too. It also had 2” high skirting’s, a brick half wall up the side of the staircase instead of a bannister and roof tiles instead of window cills throughout. All apparently due to the timber shortage in construction after the war!