Cars that surprise you

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Last year I traded in My C43 Merc for a 335d Tourer (god only knows why, seemed an idea at the time) and I have never really "felt" it. Don't get me wrong, its a nice enough car but its a but bland and sterile. To categorise it, its "alright" and a £50k car should be a bit better than alright in my book.

So I started having a look and I love the new version of the C43 and I also took the new E53 out (mild hybrid/V6) which was stunning but pricy with a pretty long lead time for the spec I liked.

While getting a settlement figure from BMW the salesman tried to talk me in to staying with them and suggested I take a test in the M4. I duly did and was utterly underwhelmed by it. It looks too much like a 4 series with performance parts and the drive was predictable and a bit bland.
So I said to him no thanks, but this shining new M2 Competition caught the corner of my eye and I asked to take that out. Wow! That's all I can say. What. A. Car.
Lively when you want it to be but quite subtle when you don't. They have used running gear from the 4 series which means the arches get even more flaring. And it drives a dream, big smile when I got out of it. Promptly ordered in a beautiful sunset orange.

So surprised by it. And more surprised it turned my head from the C43.

Anyone had a pleasant surprise from a car they didn't expect?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Last year I traded in My C43 Merc for a 335d Tourer (god only knows why, seemed an idea at the time) and I have never really "felt" it. Don't get me wrong, its a nice enough car but its a but bland and sterile. To categorise it, its "alright" and a £50k car should be a bit better than alright in my book.

So I started having a look and I love the new version of the C43 and I also took the new E53 out (mild hybrid/V6) which was stunning but pricy with a pretty long lead time for the spec I liked.

While getting a settlement figure from BMW the salesman tried to talk me in to staying with them and suggested I take a test in the M4. I duly did and was utterly underwhelmed by it. It looks too much like a 4 series with performance parts and the drive was predictable and a bit bland.
So I said to him no thanks, but this shining new M2 Competition caught the corner of my eye and I asked to take that out. Wow! That's all I can say. What. A. Car.
Lively when you want it to be but quite subtle when you don't. They have used running gear from the 4 series which means the arches get even more flaring. And it drives a dream, big smile when I got out of it. Promptly ordered in a beautiful sunset orange.

So surprised by it. And more surprised it turned my head from the C43.

Anyone had a pleasant surprise from a car they didn't expect?
No.. ;)

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And there was me thinking you were going to say that they had started to fit indicators as standard now on BMW;)

My youngests bf, eldest daughter and her hubby all have BMW's, and in all honestly I cannot see what all the fuss is about (and yes I have driven them)

D

Deleted member 16999

My lad has recently got a Mini Countryman, wasn’t too pleased as I sometimes borrow his car to go to the course, was thinking about how the trolley and clubs would fit and would need a blanket or something to cover either of those on the back seat.

Totally wrong, I get my cart bag with the woods taken out in the boot and the motocaddy and then the woods fit diagonally across.

Great car, really good to drive.
Apparently it’s built on a BMW X1 chassis.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
They used to make rubbish *Beggar me it works" and then in the mid-70s got their act together and made some really good driver's cars for about 25 years until they decided to go big volume and build a range of cars from the 'standard parts bin' .

Today, IMO, they are mostly bland cooking cars, too many needing recalls and waiting for the parts to fix!!

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
That was what took me with the M2 over the M4, its far from bland looking. Agressive front end with seriously rolled arches. Proper driving car as well, felt twitchy when the power went down.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry, but for me there's nothing better than a Merc.
Drove a couple of BMW's and was totally underwhelmed. The only BMW I like is the X5, the rest do nought for me,

I thought that too. The C43 is a lovely car and I had an A250 before that that was fun. But the M2 took me totally by surprise.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Had a BMW 4 series Gran Coupe - hated it.
Had a BMW 5 series Tourer - loved it.
Had a few Audi A6's - loved 'em. Boot size is immense.

HID had a Citroen DS with some sort of rocket under the bonnet. Went like off a stick and handled superbly. Nice little toy but I would have hated to do a long journey in it.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
After covering 12k in my Defender last year everything feels surprisingly comfortable and quick in comparison, I was in a VW Passat hire car the other day and it felt luxurious by comparison.

I've been totally blinded by the RS4 Avant as i've had one in my sights for the past couple of years however the time has come where I have full support from her indoors to finally pull the trigger now we are relocating.

Not good that you were so underwhelmed by the M4 as that was going to be something I looked at closer and test drove before I returned to the audi dealership. How is the M2 in terms of space I need to be able to chuck the trolley and clubs somewhere hence the Avant.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
After covering 12k in my Defender last year everything feels surprisingly comfortable and quick in comparison, I was in a VW Passat hire car the other day and it felt luxurious by comparison.

I've been totally blinded by the RS4 Avant as i've had one in my sights for the past couple of years however the time has come where I have full support from her indoors to finally pull the trigger now we are relocating.

Not good that you were so underwhelmed by the M4 as that was going to be something I looked at closer and test drove before I returned to the audi dealership. How is the M2 in terms of space I need to be able to chuck the trolley and clubs somewhere hence the Avant.

I would say try the M4 and see for yourself. It all just seemed a bit predictable and pedestrian for an M car. Space is the only real drawback in the M2, you won't get a trolley in it with the seats up (and unfortunately a 30/70 split seat is an optional extra...) I don't have any need for boot space as it stands and inside it's roomy enough for me, the wife and the 9 year old son.
I found the driving position awkward in the M4 but tighter and more aligned in the 2. A lot like the C43 position (admittedly the seats aren't as comfortable as the Mercedes ones).

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
My lad has recently got a Mini Countryman, wasn’t too pleased as I sometimes borrow his car to go to the course, was thinking about how the trolley and clubs would fit and would need a blanket or something to cover either of those on the back seat.

Totally wrong, I get my cart bag with the woods taken out in the boot and the motocaddy and then the woods fit diagonally across.

Great car, really good to drive.
Apparently it’s built on a BMW X1 chassis.

I don't care what it is, if I need to do this I won't be buying it. The bag must go in without any faffing about. Won't be changing the Subaru anytime soon.

However I pick the Muttley up a week on Saturday... :D:D

D

Deleted member 16999

I don't care what it is, if I need to do this I won't be buying it. The bag must go in without any faffing about. Won't be changing the Subaru anytime soon.

If only I wore the trousers ;)

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site

Yes, this. Had a 335d and A4 and clubs didn't quite fit. Fit ok in the old (bland but quick) 535d I had and comfortably in the A6 Avant I have now. The clubs did fit in the boot of the Mini though...with the seats down :LOL:

I quite liked our Hyundai Accent we had as a hire car in Crete last year.

D

Deleted member 16999

Yes, this. Had a 335d and A4 and clubs didn't quite fit. Fit ok in the old (bland but quick) 535d I had and comfortably in the A6 Avant I have now. The clubs did fit in the boot of the Mini though...with the seats down :LOL:

That was my fear :) My/Family car no issue, son previously had a Merc B180 and again no problem, when he said Mini my heart sank, but......(y)

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site

The wife has the X4 and no problem with fitting clubs, a trolley, a small pygmy family and a weeks shopping in it. Just unfortunate its like driving a tank.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't care what it is, if I need to do this I won't be buying it. The bag must go in without any faffing about. :D

Couldn't agree more - all my golf gear resides permanently in my boot. It took a lot of searching just over 2 years ago but I love it - Skoda Superb Estate Laurin & Klement with the 3.6 V6 engine - thirsty but goes like stink.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a Honda Prelude, 2.2 litre vtec with 4 wheel steering so went like sh8t off a shovel and handled as well.
Unfortunately it was one of the most uncomfortable cars I ever driven so when I had to start to use it to commute the writing was on the wall :cry:

Chopped it in for a Corolla T sport, not as much fun but like driving in an armchair :(