Tyre help please 👃

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It does if you call out the AA.
Have spares in both cars from new, and are full size, even in the fiesta. 👍

The aa carry space saving wheels in their vans these days

"Flat tyre? Our vans carry an innovative 'multi-fit' spare wheel, which fits up to 90% of cars. So even if you don't have a spare — or you have a double puncture — we can get you rolling."

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Guy at work had a spare in his car.. he got a flat

He couldn't get it off.. the gym going technical officers who repair the track.. couldn't get it off .. had to call out the AA

They said these days they fuse on with alloy wheels and locking wheel nuts etc

The aa easily get them off with their machine

I tried to change my mum's tyre for her about 4 months ago.. it broke my socket attachment to my wrench , local tyre shop did it for me for £10

No use having an emergency spare that in an emergency doesnt service it's purpose anymore
A smear of copper grease over the wheel face that mates to the hub will stop that problem. If done when you first get the car, it's not a worry after that.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to work at JLR as the manager for Tyres and then production development for Evoque, … blah blah
Spares were mandatory in certain markets but we offered pump and goo, space saver and full size as an option walk.
I would always carry a pump. Simple reason is goo won’t fill a hole bigger than 5mm ( they may have a slightly different or higher value now) . So your journey is over. A pump can inflate you back up and can you drive a short while before re inflation.. pain in the backside but the tyre can be repaired no hassle.
If you have a nail in it re-inflate the tyre with the nail in don’t remove it.
Run flat tyres have a limited mileage they can run deflated and if you do this they will need replacement.. they are a false economy.
If you want some piece of mind go and get sealant tyres they offer a similar level of protection as run flat and can be repaired - see continental website.

Basically wheels and tyres are getting very heavy and most people cannot safely lift them.
When you get a bit of fusion on the bolt hub wheel interface give the wheel nut or bolt a couple of persuasive hits directly ( AA uses hammer action air tools ) then have another go at them with the tool provided.

Don’t put copper grease or what ever on the wheel hub interface .. you may get a vibration because this is a key interface point that picks up the inputs from the road and transfers them up the car suspension. We have specify special profiles and finishes to these faces to minimise these vibrations so slapping some stuff in between will just degrade all the engineering work.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I bought mine I specified a spare so it was built with the well large enough to take a full sized tyre.

I'm sure they build them all the same size tbh and you just get more space around it with a space saver .. or a different insert. Would cost ridiculous amounts to build two different cares based on spare wheels