Help (Please)

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Thanks Jake and everyone I am going to go with my Pro who has trackman and fitting carts and swing DNA for all of the brands that interest me. It is interesting that you mention independent fitter as there is club makers (here I go clouding the water) who make clubs that will be the correct fit although the money will be in the club not the marketing of the bigger companies (or there pocket of course).

I just feel if I am spending a reasonable amount of money I would like the satisfaction of knowing I have the correct club in my hand. Although we got the stock shafts from winning the KOD last year (thanks boys I only watched) my driving is more consistent. I really do appreciate the fact the correct kit will improve my game for the reasons above. I have little to no technology in my clubs and feel the difference when I hit at fitting days the new clubs which I hit further and straighter.

I am in the UK as of Saturday for two weeks off shopping I will go!

Thanks again guys and yes I will let you know how we fair.

Hit em straight ....ish

I would slightly temper that statement with the fact that you will have the best club based on the average swing on that day. Not necessarily 'the correct club' as I would argue there's no such thing, much as golf manufacturers and marketing teams would have you believe otherwise. And it's much better to have a repeatable functional swing than chase the never achievable nirvana of having the correct club for you.

But having said that it's your money so go for it. I got fitted despite all I've said, mostly because it made me feel good, so why the hell not. I am convinced that a lot of it is mental anyway, and if you believe you have the best club for you you will perform better. And if someone swapped your shaft in the middle of the night but you did not know, the confidence you have in the club would outweigh any change a different shaft would bring. Assuming it is not a silly swap from XXs to a seniors flex.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Any advice other than giving up golf would be most appreciated I live in Burnley so any names or suggestions would be appreciated.

Hit em straight ....ish

if your going to get custom fitted then get custom fitted and go with the best shafts for you. If you do not want to take the recommendations of a custom go then go to an on line retailer and get a bargain off the shelf set.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Shafts make hardly any difference. Just get the set you are happy and confident with and then play and enjoy golf. Don't spend all the time thinking your game will be any different if you got some different clubs or a slightly different shaft. As it won't. And if you want your scores to improve then have some lessons.

:confused:

I'd stopped using a driver because I just couldn't get any real consistency from it. I went and got fitted at Taylormade, my consistency of strike improved along with my dispersal and average distance, all because of the shaft I have fitted.

I'm looking at getting some new irons and after picking the Clubhead I have played about with different shafts. The difference is very noticeable, C-taper versus X-100. C-Taper is 6 yards longer average carry, 8 foot tighter dispersal, 1* lower launch with 400RPM less spin.

Now tell me that shaft makes no differenece.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
:confused:

I'd stopped using a driver because I just couldn't get any real consistency from it. I went and got fitted at Taylormade, my consistency of strike improved along with my dispersal and average distance, all because of the shaft I have fitted.

I'm looking at getting some new irons and after picking the Clubhead I have played about with different shafts. The difference is very noticeable, C-taper versus X-100. C-Taper is 6 yards longer average carry, 8 foot tighter dispersal, 1* lower launch with 400RPM less spin.

Now tell me that shaft makes no differenece.

To be fair I said they make 'hardly any' difference, not no difference. And I probably should have added 'to the vast majority of golfers'.

Looking at your handicap they well make a difference as I am guessing your strike is extremely consistent and mostly in the sweet spot. But for example when it comes shafts reducing spin rates I would still argue the for the vast majority of golfers the type of head/placement of CG and all that gubbins, plus where you are hitting it on the face, makes much more difference. And that is what the vast majority of golfers should be worrying about.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
And if someone swapped your shaft in the middle of the night but you did not know, the confidence you have in the club would outweigh any change a different shaft would bring. Assuming it is not a silly swap from XXs to a seniors flex.

Have you come to this conclusion after being custom fit on one occasion?

A reasonable ball striker would notice the difference in certain stiff or regular shafts straight away. By the ball flight,distance, dispersion and even weight, before they'd even hit a ball. The difference in flight characteristics just between a DG s300 and an DGxp s300 95g is pretty considerable.

I've lost count of the amount of times I've been custom fit for drivers and irons, some good and some bad and I've made a few expensive mistakes along the way due to the shaft not working for me.
After reading similar threads over the years on here I know I'm not alone, Stevek who's an experienced golfer had a similar problem recently with some JPX850s due to the xp115 shaft
I know Huds lost 20 yards after switching to s300 then regained it with the XPs300.
Golfers and custom fitters get it wrong all the time and it usually works out to be a costly mistake.

I don't know the OP, but off 14 he probably hits a reasonably good ball. To say the shaft is as irrelevant as your making out is poor advice IMO.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
To be fair I said they make 'hardly any' difference, not no difference. And I probably should have added 'to the vast majority of golfers'.

Looking at your handicap they well make a difference as I am guessing your strike is extremely consistent and mostly in the sweet spot. But for example when it comes shafts reducing spin rates I would still argue the for the vast majority of golfers the type of head/placement of CG and all that gubbins, plus where you are hitting it on the face, makes much more difference. And that is what the vast majority of golfers should be worrying about.

What you need to do is go to somewhere where you can have a free run with shaft and then see. Fortunatly out here there is a shop near me that has 20 demo bays all fitted with a flightscope for you to use. On top of that they are the regional fitting centre for, Callaway, PING, Titleist, Taylomade and Mizuno all with there on dedicated custom fitting bays with a huge variety of shafts.

I know I want the 714 MB so got the lad in the shop to set me up with a 2* upright head and give me the Project X 6.0 & 6.5, KBS Tour V & C-Taper in S & XS, TTDG in S400 & X-100 shafts to switch around with. The Carry, Dispersal, Back Spin, Launch angle, Peek Height, Decent Angle all varied considerably with each shaft.

So changing between different shafts does make a difference. If I go for a lightweight shaft I find the Clubhead starts to overtake my hands and I start yanking the ball left and widen my dispersal. If I go for high launching spiny shaft I just balloon the ball and loose distance.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm sorry, but I'd expect instant results after most kinds of lessons.

This is not relevant to how different bits of metal affect ball striking. If you'd have said, "if you put a plaster on a cut finger, it won't heal immediately, but will in the future", then at least this guarantees a more positive future outcome.

But seriously, listen one and all, I'm not "anti-custom-fit"- honest! I couldn't possibly be, as I've never had a comprehensive iron fitting. Actually, I'm trying to be convinced of its merits. I do concede that trackman will show that by changing shafts that "the numbers" will look better and the wallet would be opened. My dubiety comes from the lack of posts on here saying "I was custom fitted for my irons 2 months ago and I've now dropped 3 shots per round, after getting used to my clubs". Even if there was a plethora of tales of this ilk, how much of that was due to changing a tube of metal?

However, I also concede that if you're playing with 30 year old clubs, that moving to Ping G25s are going to help. I also think that, as long as you have consistent delivery numbers, that lie could play a massive factor.

Oi, nothing the matter with 30year old clubs, not worth buying a new set at my age.:whistle:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I was told and it's a quote I've heard from many people including fitter that "the shaft is the engine" and if you have something that is a poor match to your physicality, tempo and technique it's like putting a Ferrari engine in a Morris Minor. It will move the car but it won't be the best thing to do the job.

To the OP I'd simply say, try a few makes and models and different shaft options, ideally with a good fitter.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Its hard not to disagree with him, unless you have similar experience and know how as Tom.

He also states: "Sorry, but when you’re talking about ALL golfers, the shaft is not as important to the actual performance of the shot as is the clubhead. "

mab

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
He also states: "Sorry, but when you’re talking about ALL golfers, the shaft is not as important to the actual performance of the shot as is the clubhead. "

Agreed, but I don't believe anyone is disputing that - it adds up plus I lack the knowledge and testing to challenge anything Tom states.

However, there's a vast array of shaft options (in the same flex) with differing weights and profiles... and, with a given clubhead, the shaft could potentially make or break a golfer. Someone who best suits a stiff flex 83g N.S.Pro 750 is unlikely to get the most from a 130g S300.

Regarding Tom's point, you hear people constantly talking about low spin shafts in their driver but the shaft can only do so much... maybe 300rpm at best, I would estimate. However, a lower spin driver head, lower loft, changing AoA from -ve to +ve, etc. would have a much greater impact on launch conditions, inc. spin, than changing from one expensive 65g driver shaft to a different expensive 65g driver shaft. Sorry, gone a little off topic there... :)