Carly Booth and Scottish golf in general

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Blue Mountain in Bracknell has already gone I think, Beckenham, Ruislip and Harefield Place are under threat I understand, and there may be others. There is a lot of political pressure to build more housing in SE England.

To be fair Del, only BM has gone, certainly on your list and while Beckenham is certain to go, it's hardly a glut and not as if muni golf is dying out in the south east

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
See my reply. If you don't want to pay the huge membership there are plenty of muni's around. I'm not above them and we have some particularly good ones in Downshire and Pine Ridge although the latter is a victim of its own success and so very, very slow at weekends

Pine Ridge is a lovely course. As it is another Crown Group course I can play there for free, but what does it cost as a P&P? The run down and closure of Blue Mountain must have added to the pressure on it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Pine Ridge is a lovely course. As it is another Crown Group course I can play there for free, but what does it cost as a P&P? The run down and closure of Blue Mountain must have added to the pressure on it.

Not really. There's Downshire in Bracknell to take up the Blue Mountain trade and Pine Ridge is a reasonable drive away.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
To be fair Del, only BM has gone, certainly on your list and while Beckenham is certain to go, it's hardly a glut and not as if muni golf is dying out in the south east
Relative to the 10 million plus population in and around London (twice the total population of Scotland), I can't think of too many municipal courses around here. Only really Rickmansworth, Haste Hill, Uxbridge and Ruislip in my area. The latter two are likely to be affected by the construction of the HS2 railway line.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's:

DelC
c/o The Big Hole
Darn Sarf
KN0 B1
If out at time of delivery, just leave it with one of the assortment of foreign neighbours :rofl:

:D

I'll send it UPS (Unbelievably Pedestrian Serbians) - I think thats what he thinks it stands for. The van may delay him on the way to the golf.:thup:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
To answer the opening post and based on zero research I wonder if just because a game originated in a particular country it might not actually entitle that country to dominate the game till the end of time

Also I wonder what the differences are in how a young Asian girl encounters the game of golf V the experience of a young UK girl? (or boys for that matter)

Is it possible one group are welcomed, supported, nurtured, coached, taught, guided etc etc in an appropriate environment by dedicated passionate people and maybe the other group encounter a fraction of the aforementioned behaviours from a minority but in addition they also see many aging players who are overtly traditional, stuck in members adult only clubhouses, unhappy with rules, complaining about formats, course setup, hole sizes, dress codes, young players, tee boxes, car-parks etc etc etc and maybe this second group are thinking... life’s just a bit too short for all that malarkey and I’d hate to turn into one of ‘them’, I’m off to try something else!

Did everyone see how much fun the young Asian golfers were having on the recent televised events held out there? This was the cream of the game playing to a high standard and having an absolute blast doing it while wearing some wacky (but functional) outfits

Like most I don’t know Carly Booth, (met her briefly once after a social round) and in hindsight her behaviour that day and her multi coloured clothes, back-flips on the practice green, really seems to fit with the fun element that the Asian women were showing but I wonder if all the other potential talent in the UK gets to experience golf that way?

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Send me your address, so I can send the food parcels.

Do you like Chinese?

I am not that hard up thanks! I have a reasonably good pension, own a house which I paid off the mortgage on some years ago, am a member of a private golf club, and own a share of an aeroplane. I prefer Indian food, but Chinese is OK!

The point I am trying to make is that a person on an average sort of income would struggle to afford to be a member of a golf club round here. The only good thing is that long waiting lists to join a club and the interview with the committee are largely a thing of the past.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I did play Downshire a few years ago and don't remember it being that inspiring! How has it been affected by the closure of Blue Mountain?

Not made a huge difference to be honest as Blue Mountain was also a members club so most have found new clubs and the nomads pay and play when the weather suits (as a generalisation) and so over the winter it's not made a difference.

I should point out that there are also two public courses in very close to central London in Richmond Park which are never ever going to be sold for development. Similarly Wimbledon Common and Mitcham Common also allow visitors midweek so plenty of London based courses for the pay and play golfer to use

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Not made a huge difference to be honest as Blue Mountain was also a members club so most have found new clubs and the nomads pay and play when the weather suits (as a generalisation) and so over the winter it's not made a difference.

I should point out that there are also two public courses in very close to central London in Richmond Park which are never ever going to be sold for development. Similarly Wimbledon Common and Mitcham Common also allow visitors midweek so plenty of London based courses for the pay and play golfer to use

Both those courses are at least an hours drive away through London's gridlocked roads for me. I believe that West Herts and Pinner Hill Golf Clubs have days when non-member local residents can play, as a condition of their leases.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I was just wondering why the country that calls itself the home of golf produces so few good pro golfers. I suppose England has the same problem with tennis players, despite throwing a shed load of money at them. It is interesting that the only decent tennis player that the UK has produced for decades is Scotland's Andy Murray, who succeeded despite rather than because of the efforts of the LTA. I will grant Tim Henman an honourable mention though!

This is dreadful stuff.

Scotland is called the home of golf because that is where golf started.

Mind you, according to recent research, life on earth started just south of Oban so you could say that the Scots invented absolutely everything.;)

mikeb4

Head Pro
Visit site
"Now Scotland is supposed to be the home of golf and a National Sport up there,"

for the avoidance of doubt, Scotland and specifically St Andrews in the Kingdom of Fife is the home of golf, and yes it is our national sport.

SugarPenguin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Big aspect that I don’t think has been mentioned is the weather.
You cannot play and practice all year round in Scotland. You probably get 8 decent months of golf in a year. The rest of time playing on the course wouldn’t be that productive.
Compare this to a Texan or Spanish based Junior who pretty much have access to golf course all year round. They are getting at least 30% more golf in a year if you think about rainy days etc etc.. (Just a guess).
That’s a massive difference especially for Juniors who just love going out and playing. Its not just about accessibility and socio-economic factors (blah, blah) – its not so black and white.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Big aspect that I don’t think has been mentioned is the weather.
You cannot play and practice all year round in Scotland. You probably get 8 decent months of golf in a year. The rest of time playing on the course wouldn’t be that productive.
Compare this to a Texan or Spanish based Junior who pretty much have access to golf course all year round. They are getting at least 30% more golf in a year if you think about rainy days etc etc.. (Just a guess).
That’s a massive difference especially for Juniors who just love going out and playing. Its not just about accessibility and socio-economic factors (blah, blah) – its not so black and white.

Not sure about this - I hit golf balls pretty much every day for a year during 2014 - Links courses (which we've got a few of) are playable most days of the year and if they aren't I've got a superb driving range just across the water in St Andrews.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
This is dreadful stuff.

It is called the home of golf because that is where golf started.

Mind you, according to recent research, life on earth started just south of Oban so you could say that the Scots invented absolutely everything.;)

The Dutch might dispute that!

Last edited:

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure about this - I hit golf balls pretty much every day for a year during 2014 - Links courses (which we've got a few of) are playable most days of the year and if they aren't I've got a superb driving range just across the water in St Andrews.

We don't all live next to the coast tho ;-) My course is definitely only playable 8-9 months of the year!!!

There's a fair amount of good indoor and range facilities though

D

Deleted member 18588

The Dutch might dispute that!

They might but they would be wrong.

Scotland is the home of golf and the birthplace of the game. End of!

And that is from an Englishman