Getting the kids into Golf

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
So my golf has taken a back seat since 2015 when my eldest daughter was born, soon followed by a second daughter last year. Yes, a son would be nice, but it’s certainly not worth the risk of living with 4 woman, so a 3rd child is not on the agenda.

I am am now planning to get back into golf next year but with a view to getting the kids involved at some point I am considering clubs with a modern view of female members, ideally with integrated male & female clubs as well as healthy junior sections.

My 3 year old is already showing some interest, which I’m obviously massively chuffed about. But also cautious not to throw her into anything she would probably get bored with very quickly.

For those with kids a bit older, at what age did you get them into golf?

Also, my intention would be to maybe let them mess about in the garden to foster their curiosity, and probably a few family days out to St. Andrews and the Himalayas putting green will be on the cards.

But surely introductory coaching relatively early will be required? I reckon kids could take this on at 5 with the right tuition, which surely means the most chance of them wanting to take it up. Letting them loose, even on a par 3, is surely not going to help matters until they can have learned a bit.

Any thoughts from people further down a well beaten path?

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Best to just let them whack things and enjoy whacking it. Plenty of sessions that take it easy like that and don't really focus on results going about with people who can keep kids interested for an hour

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I stopped playing when my eldest was 1, and dint pull the clubs out the garage till she saw them aged 11 or there abouts. She wanted to try, so started taking her to the range which lead eventually to her being a member at my club. Sadly modern life put and end to it for her, although she still hopes to be able to play regularly again.

I'm glad I didnt force her into it, as I feel she wouldnt have the love for it she has now.....just not the time or money:)

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I take grandson when I can and he loves it, been goin a couple of years on and off he is five now. Starter clubs, deffo get him some and not dunlops from Sports direct. Although the cheapest there is they are heavy for a nipper. Mine always finishes off in the 19th with some cheesy chips and he loves it. We are fortunate at our place coz the club is very forward thinking with kids.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
My grandchildren (7 and 6) are getting interested. They have been playing a lot of crazy golf on holiday and are going to a golf based fun day organised at our club in 2 weeks time. Here's hoping ......

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Looking forward to more replies myself. My boy is 4 and a half and shows a lot of interest but I just felt it was too young...up until last week when I bought a set for him (4 clubs, bag etc fr age 3-5 years). Arriving today. Intend to take him to the range - let him swing at balls - see what happens.

Will not push int he slightest. If he enjoys it i will continue at the range until I figure out the next steps....be that coaching, walking and/or playing the course at quiet times

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have made the choice not to get my children into golf. I thought it over and realised I can’t push them into loving the sport I do.

My wee one is 3 soon and keeps asking to come with me, he is way too young.

I intend to make sure he gets exposure to a wide variety of sports over the next 10-15 years.

As for golf, i talked to the pro at the local par 3. He runs group lessons for children at the weekend and some summer holiday events. When my boy is closer to 4 I will look to enrol him. Just like I may do for other sports over the next few years. Tennis, football, hockey, eSports etc as he shows interest in them. Equipment can be found cheap second hand on Facebook or eBay or new on Amazon. Not like back when I was young and it was prohibitively expensive or cheap at a car boot due to its age or state.

I will continue to hope his early enthusiasm for sport in general keeps growing and I hope he finds golf fun like I do.

I certainly can’t teach him golf, leaving that to the pro.

I hope he also gets into running, I loved running as a child.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I have made the choice not to get my children into golf. I thought it over and realised I can’t push them into loving the sport I do.

My wee one is 3 soon and keeps asking to come with me, he is way too young.

I intend to make sure he gets exposure to a wide variety of sports over the next 10-15 years.

As for golf, i talked to the pro at the local par 3. He runs group lessons for children at the weekend and some summer holiday events. When my boy is closer to 4 I will look to enrol him. Just like I may do for other sports over the next few years. Tennis, football, hockey, eSports etc as he shows interest in them. Equipment can be found cheap second hand on Facebook or eBay or new on Amazon. Not like back when I was young and it was prohibitively expensive or cheap at a car boot due to its age or state.

I will continue to hope his early enthusiasm for sport in general keeps growing and I hope he finds golf fun like I do.

I certainly can’t teach him golf, leaving that to the pro.

I hope he also gets into running, I loved running as a child.

Im certainly not going to push them but golf is obviously not something they would be exposed to at school, so there is certainly a bit of onus on the parents to introduce them to it and invest a bit of time and money should they prove interested in it.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
My little boy is 4 tomorrow but has been swinging a club for 2 years, only started with the cheap plastic ones from the pound shops, but he wanted to copy me and he's got into it that way.

Bought him his proper first set (driver, 7 iron, SW and putter) and bag when he turned 3 but he's only now got the strength to swing them more freely. Not going to do anything other than make it fun and as has previously been said, will give him the opportunity to play as many sports as possible.

I would much rather he was out and about than sat watching a tablet or something.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I took my 5 yr old boy for a lesson. He was with a group of kids that were 5to 8yrs old. I watched for a bit and he was struggling the clubs were too big. He was wafting it around and missing. I was worrying that he would get put off. But then he hit one and the club was dropped and he raised both arms and cheered. He said he would like another lesson... so we will have another go.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
New member here - I finally thought that I should start posting.

After chatting with a guy who is a member at Hoebridge in Surrey, I think they have themselves set up really well for getting kids into the game. A crazy golf course, next to a driving range, next to a putting green, and then a par 3 course, and a proper course.

I'm a member at Tilgate Forest and they've just got planning permission for a crazy golf course. I also wouldn't totally discount footgolf as a way to attract kids either.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
New member here - I finally thought that I should start posting.

After chatting with a guy who is a member at Hoebridge in Surrey, I think they have themselves set up really well for getting kids into the game. A crazy golf course, next to a driving range, next to a putting green, and then a par 3 course, and a proper course.

I'm a member at Tilgate Forest and they've just got planning permission for a crazy golf course. I also wouldn't totally discount footgolf as a way to attract kids either.

I think a par 3, or a separate 9 hole course is a good addition at most clubs to get families into golf. But obviously they are few and far between and many clubs struggle to justify the cost of their upkeep.

Many courses I've played at lay out much shorter, blue tees. Unfortunately these are often not proper tee boxes, but just a few markers layed out down the fairway.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Our 9 hole par 3 is still actually open, but it doubles up as footgolf course. Fairly ridiculous really but I can understand why the club have done this - the amount of people who wouldn't be seen dead at a golf course you get turning up paying a tenner a go, plus beer... $$$

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Difficult one, the whole question of should you force your kids to something.

Of course I don't think you can continue to force a kid to participate in something they dislike. But giving them a taste and encouraging them should be done IMHO.

Kids won't get into golf without it going through the parents, unless they go to an exclusive private school. They will also get a more natural swing the younger they start.

If it were me, I would get the kids started playing golf, equipment isn't expensive and membership is cheap, if after a couple of years they lose interest then let them go. If however they love it, then you can be happy knowing that you have introduced them to a life long love.

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
My love for the game has rubbed off on my 3 year old boy. I've bought him his own PW and putter and he regularly wanders out on to the local course with me to hit a few shots. he holds the club all wrong, swings and misses regularly and his attention span is short, but he does enjoy it and i'm just letting him have fun and not worry about technique or anything like that too much. Just the odd comment like "put the club behind the ball before you swing, it'll be easier like that".

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Local clubs that have junior coaching are worth a chat... if they can go with friends and it's fun, that's what's needed..... got some great examples local to me. They get large groups...

Take your kid to a pitch and putt... great was to start...... Pirate Adventure Golf near Bristol is also always packed

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My local pay and play have been running kids camps this summer, a week at a time. Coaching and then out onto the pitch and putt course (perfect for the little ones) for a game. Booked out apparently and a great way to get kids involved. I think my own club has their own thing going attached to their junior academy which again seems to be doing well. I started when Sandown Park offered a week of lessons which my dad took me to. I was hooked. I don't care how people get kids into the game as long as they let them have fun without getting bogged down in technique and simply going out hitting it and having fun. They have to want to be there though. Seen a number of kids in a number of sports clearly there because the parents have forced them to take part and clearly not enjoying it.