Is working out in the gym good for your golf?

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Does going to the gym and lifting weights make your a better golfer no!
Being fitter, more flexible and conditioned will.
What you do for a day job will have a bigger bearing on how you golf in my opinion.
Before I retired, I spent most of my working life sitting at a desk and peering into a computer screen. I assume that this would not be considered as good for playing golf? I did work out in a gym a couple of nights a week though and did a bit of swimming. When I was younger I also played squash.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Before I retired, I spent most of my working life sitting at a desk and peering into a computer screen. I assume that this would not be considered as good for playing golf? I did work out in a gym a couple of nights a week though and did a bit of swimming. When I was younger I also played squash.
I use to do the same 2 years ago. I worked in an office 8 hours a day. I changed my job 2 years ago, my handicap tumbled within months of getting out an office and being active all day outside. Coincidence I think not.

DCB

Visit site
The best thing most of us could learn to do would be to learn to stretch properly. That alone wold make a huge difference to each of us.

As part of my rehab last year I spent many hours working with the physios. Stretching was always part of the routine. As I progressed to outpatients appointments and my repertoire of exercise activities grew larger, stretching was still given major importance in my programme. Even now, I hit the pool at 6.45 each weekday morning, the first 20 mins are all spent stretching various muscle groups before I even try to swim a stroke. The sessions end with further stretches.

I may still have a way to go before I can play golf again, but, I already know that my flexibility is better than it was before my accident. That's all down to learning to stretch properly.

I can't do weights yet, but swimming and stretching have helped strengthen the back immensely and stretching has done wonders for my trunk rotation.

I just wish I'd been aware of all this before my accident curtailed my golf ;)

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It sounds nothing like the Tiger saga. Tiger has always hit the gym hard and has won once or twice. It's possible (I'm no expert) that it has contributed to his recent problems but it certainly didn't affect his golf in the early days.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Bigger racquets??

I played competitive squash and the rackets were tiny. Teeny weeny wee round heads the size of a small side plate and a long thin neck. Todays squash rackets are huge and make the game far too easy. If only I had the lungs I used to.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
And maybe, just maybe she's having a flat spot of form having risen through the ranks so quickly in the last 18 months and it's got sod all to do with the gym. Maybe Tano is keeping her fully exercised (lucky blighter)
She had a good amateur career before turning pro and played well for the first couple of years as a pro. I don't know if she has changed her swing coach or tried to change her swing, which often seems to cause a loss of form. Colin Montgomerie was successful just because he stuck to his natural swing that had served him well as an amateur. Carly hits the ball pretty well. From what little I have seen of her playing, her main weaknesses seem to be course management and short game. She makes a lot of birdies, but also too many double bogeys and worse.