Carly Booth and Scottish golf in general

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Where's the racism?

If you're going to make comments like that, back it up with very specific examples.

The word "oriental" has undergone a process of pejoration in that it's meaning has gained a negative connotation over time, much the same as calling black people "coloured".

Hardly hate speech, but still shows a certain amount of ignorance.

That's all really.

351DRIVER

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
10 Koreans for every Scot
270 Chinese for every Scot

Its not unreasonable they would find a way to have more in the top 100 than Scotland

The Orient means the East. It is a traditional designation for anything that belongs to the Eastern world or the Middle East (aka Near East) or the Far East, in relation to Europe. In English, it is largely a metonym for, and coterminous with, the continent of Asia.

Referring to the populations in these countries as Orientals is entirely correct

Spikey

Visit site
Korean girls are not stopping young Scottish girls from going out and playing golf. Its the weather. :rofl:

Actually, if you think that Korean weather is any better than that in Scotland, I suggest that you try a trip over there any time between November and February. In my opinion, "Arctic" doesn't come close to describing it .......!!!!

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Its not unreasonable they would find a way to have more in the top 100 than Scotland

The Orient means the East. It is a traditional designation for anything that belongs to the Eastern world or the Middle East (aka Near East) or the Far East, in relation to Europe. In English, it is largely a metonym for, and coterminous with, the continent of Asia.

Referring to the populations in these countries as Orientals is entirely correct

Thank you.

People are so damn quick to act all mock - offended and disturbed on behalf of other people who actually aren't in the least bit bothered.

Sorry, people in Britain are... Etc etc

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site

You should call people by what they call themselves, not how they are situated in relation to yourself. No one is arguing about the geography of it.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
national-stalking-helpline-logo.gif
Carly is one of quite a few golfers of both sexes that I follow on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. I have to admit that she is one the more interesting ones! :)

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Whilst I do not dispute the origins of the word, referring to a group of people as "orientals" is no more correct than calling a group of black people "coloured". Like it or not, the word now has negative connotations and muttering it shows ignorance.

Thank you.

People are so damn quick to act all mock - offended and disturbed on behalf of other people who actually aren't in the least bit bothered.

Sorry, people in Britain are... Etc etc

You're the only one who pointed to offence or faux outrage. I'm pretty sure no one was offended by Delc's use of the word. They were merely trying to educate that perhaps he should consign that term to dustbin and refer to the people he is describing as Asian.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Whilst I do not dispute the origins of the word, referring to a group of people as "orientals" is no more correct than calling a group of black people "coloured". Like it or not, the word now has negative connotations and muttering it shows ignorance.

You're the only one who pointed to offence or faux outrage. I'm pretty sure no one was offended by Delc's use of the word. They were merely trying to educate that perhaps he should consign that term to dustbin and refer to the people he is describing as Asian.

I personally find Political Correctness to be annoying and it often changes the meaning of English words. What are we supposed to call people of other ethnic backgrounds? Once upon a time it was considered offensive to call Africans (particularly Afro-Americans) 'black', so we had to use the word the word 'coloured', but now that is considered offensive, but black is OK again! Once upon a time the PC brigade wanted to ban phrases like 'black ice', as it implied that black was bad, but what else could you call it? Even the 'N' word is now OK, as long as people of African origins use it about themselves. Technically the Orient is the Eastern World and the Occident is the Western World.

Last edited:

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm from oriental decent and have experience racism throughout my life tell you what give me a PM and I'll give you my number we can arrange a meet up and I'll give you examples of how I've personally been called stuff and told to shrug it off. I lost my grandfather when he had to smuggle our family from China to Hong Kong during the Japanese invasion of China. Perhaps I am a little sensitive of being banded in a category and maybe my post was to highlight poor diction. No worries, I've sent you a PM give me a call and we'll discuss further.

Last edited:

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I'm from oriental decent and have experience racism throughout my life tell you what give me a PM and I'll give you my number we can arrange a meet up and I'll give you examples of how I've personally been called stuff and told to shrug it off. I lost my grandfather when he had to smuggle our family from China to Hong Kong during the Japanese invasion of China. Perhaps I am a little sensitive of being banded in a category and maybe my post was to highlight poor diction. No worries, I've sent you a PM give me a call and we'll discuss further.

As you admit personally to being of oriental descent, can we assume that this word is not considered to be a racial slur? I personally don't think it is.

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What about gwaylos, matseleh, farangs, all these Asian words to describe us "assorted whites"?

I also seem to remember from my time in China that's there's a word meaning ghost that is also a general description of white people because, of course, we all look like ghosts.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
What about gwaylos, matseleh, farangs, all these Asian words to describe us "assorted whites"?

I also seem to remember from my time in China that's there's a word meaning ghost that is also a general description of white people because, of course, we all look like ghosts.

All equally ignorant phrases used. My mother is from Brentwood so I find the terms offensive as well.