Carly Booth and Scottish golf in general

D

Deleted member 1147

Charley Hull has won several LET tournaments, been winner of the LET Order of Merit and Rookie of the Year award, and has had some top 10 finishes on the highly competitive LPGA Tour where there are lots of Koreans playing. She is not doing at all badly for her age!

She's won one LET event, and only had one top 10 in the majors!

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Casual racism and sterotypiyng
I was just wondering why the country that calls itself the home of golf produces so few good pro golfers. I suppose England has the same problem with tennis players, despite throwing a shed load of money at them. It is interesting that the only decent tennis player that the UK has produced for decades is Scotland's Andy Murray, who succeeded despite rather than because of the efforts of the LTA. I will grant Tim Henman an honourable mention though!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I was just wondering why the country that calls itself the home of golf produces so few good pro golfers. I suppose England has the same problem with tennis players, despite throwing a shed load of money at them. It is interesting that the only decent tennis player that the UK has produced for decades is Scotland's Andy Murray, who succeeded despite rather than because of the efforts of the LTA. I will grant Tim Henman an honourable mention though!

why single Scotland out, The UK as a whole underachieves at most spots invented here?

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The R&A say that they represent over 30million golfers in the world. Estimates of how many golfers there are on Earth puts that number at 60 million.

The population of Earth is 7 billion. Therefore golf is played by 0.85% of everyone on Earth.

Scotland has 220,000 golfers according to the Scottish Golf Union.

The top 100 players in the world represents 0.000166% of all golfers on the planet.

So if every country contributed equally, you'd expect to see 0.36 Scottish golfers in the top 100 players in the world.

In fact there are 2 Scottish golfers in the top 100, over 5 times more than you'd expect if everyone was equal.

Compare this to the USA with 25 million golfers, again if everyone contributed equally you'd expect to see 41 golfers in the top 100. There are in fact 40 American golfers in the top 100 today, so the USA contributes exactly as many as we might expect.

Therefore Scotland is 5 times better than the USA and delc is wrong.

D

Deleted member 15344

The R&A say that they represent over 30million golfers in the world. Estimates of how many golfers there are on Earth puts that number at 60 million.

The population of Earth is 7 billion. Therefore golf is played by 0.85% of everyone on Earth.

The top 100 players in the world represents 0.000166% of all golfers on the planet.

So if every country contributed equally, you'd expect to see 0.36 Scottish golfers in the top 100 players in the world.

In fact there are 2 Scottish golfers in the top 100, over 5 times more than you'd expect if everyone was equal.

Compare this to the USA with 25 million golfers, again if everyone contributed equally you'd expect to see 41 golfers in the top 100. There are in fact 40 American golfers in the top 100 today, so the USA contributes exactly as many as we might expect.

You didn't need to post anything else :D

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

But Scotland seems to have more golf courses per head of population than most countries, and they are relatively cheap and accessible to the general public. In England and the USA they are generally snootier and more expensive, so only really available to at least the middle classes.

D

Deleted member 15344

But Scotland seems to have more golf courses per head of population than most countries, and they are relatively cheap and accessible to the general public. In England and the USA they are generally snootier and more expensive, so only really available to at least the middle classes.

Could you get any more generic ?

Is all your conclusions based on such flimsy suggestions ?

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site

Haha. The direness of your posting knows no bounds.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I have no idea what point you're trying to make. Scotland does have more courses per capita and I've just demonstrated that Scotland outperforms in terms of its contribution to the top 100 golfers in the world.

But, you know, correlation does not imply causation.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If I remember rightly the SGU cut funding a few years ago to the aspiring pros and top amateurs as they weren't getting the results they felt they should be. I think this has lead to better results certainly in the amateur game, with 3 making the walker cup team and now Conor Syme winning recently. Making them work more for the funding and realising that they money would just be there for them no matter what.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
So Carly Booth is hardly setting the world alight as per the OP. So what and what difference it makes who sponsors her. Many other players male and female have huge dips. Look how low Westwood dropped before coming back to world #1. Booth is young and plenty of time to make her mark on the game.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Could you get any more generic ?

Is all your conclusions based on such flimsy suggestions ?

I did actually research the subject before posting, so can you prove me wrong? If not, please shut up! One interesting statistic is that Scotland has the highest rate of golf club ownership in the world, with an estimated 50% of Scottish men and 10% of Scottish women owning a set of golf clubs.

D

Deleted member 15344

I did actually research the subject before posting, so can you prove me wrong? If not, please shut up! One interesting statistic is that Scotland has the highest rate of golf club ownership in the world, with an estimated 50% of Scottish men and 10% of Scottish women owning a set of golf clubs.

So can you show the research in regards the snootier clubs in England etc please

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
So can you show the research in regards the snootier clubs in England etc please

I live just outside Greater London, and the cheapest annual club membership I know of round here is £1400 for 7 day membership plus a joining fee. And this a very expensive area to live in, so people tend not to have much in the way of disposable income. So unless you are a professional, golf is pretty much out of the question. In Scotland many clubs only charge a few hundred pounds per annum and the cost of living is much cheaper. Plus quite a number of municipal courses near the bigger towns and cities.

P.S. I am not including clubs like Wentworth in this, where they want to charge a £100k debenture and £16k per year to remain a member! Makes even Trump courses seem cheap!

Last edited:

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I live just outside Greater London, and the cheapest annual club membership I know of round here is £1400 for 7 day membership plus a joining fee. And this a very expensive area to live in, so people tend not to have much in the way of disposable income. So unless you are a professional, golf is pretty much out of the question. In Scotland many clubs only charge a few hundred pounds per annum and the cost of living is much cheaper. Plus quite a number of municipal courses near the bigger towns and cities.

You talk some Gash!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

how so???

every thing apart from house prices are the same, i bet my weekly shop cost the same as yours, fuel, the same, in fact my council tax bill is way more expensive in Inverness than it was in a conservation area in St Albans in Hertforshire.

golf is cheaper, buy pay is much lower than in London, plus i don't know any clubs, 18 holes anyway that is £200.

Nairn is close to £800, Tain £400, Inverness £700

rash generalisations as usual