Carly Booth and Scottish golf in general

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Scottish Professional Golf in general is in a very poor state. For whatever reason the top amateurs are just not cutting it at the top level or even getting from being top amateurs to making it onto the European Tour.

David Law is a prime example, great amateur career and now struggling to get a foothold in professional golf. Another reason I hear getting banded about is that the top amateur tournaments are all held on links tracks yet on tour the vast majority of competitions are held on parkland tracks. Not sure I totally agree with that argument.

What was interesting was listening to Mark Warren. Mark grew up in East Kilbride, played golf in East Kilbride, hit the ball very low, always kept the ball low due to playing in the wind. Played lots of links golf where the low ball flight was beneficial. As soon as he was out on tour he very quickly realised he didn't have the game to compete. His 5 irons were coming in low, running out to the back edge of the green whereas the Spanish players etc etc were hitting in towering high trajectory 5 irons that were sitting withing 2 bounces.

He had to totally transform his game to compete.

That does make a lot of sense to me however it's not really the cruix of the argument. Hopefully it's just cyclical and Scotland will start to produce again however at present I would agree it looks very bleak.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
You are aware that we don't have an empire anymore - some the posts you've made here made you appear a tad like you wish the World map was still mainly red

I am just suggesting that the best young British footballers don't get a chance to develop at the top level, because most of the Premier League teams prefer to employ foreign International players. :(

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I am just suggesting that the best young British footballers don't get a chance to develop at the top level, because most of the Premier League teams prefer to employ foreign Internationals.

Korean girls are not shopping young Scottish girls from going out and playing golf. Its the weather. :rofl:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I remember Colin Montgomerie talking generally about an upsurge of Korean players in both mens and women's golf.

He said on average they have 3 hours more daylight, ergo more practice time, and probably in less inclement weather than Scotland.

I wonder if this argument will go down the "Scottish children going to school in the dark" route..........:)

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I remember Colin Montgomerie talking generally about an upsurge of Korean players in both mens and women's golf.

He said on average they have 3 hours more daylight, ergo more practice time, and probably in less inclement weather than Scotland.

I wonder if this argument will go down the "Scottish children going to school in the dark" route..........:)

The UK climate in general is very conducive for growing grass, but less so for slow walking outdoor activities, such as golf, particularly in the Winter. Maybe more floodlit driving ranges with heated bays is the answer? On the other hand, Scotland does have very long and often quite warm evenings in the Summer. :)

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Usual amount of nonsense coming from certain directions. Here are some choice quotes after 5 minutes research.

"Record number of Scottish Amateurs in Top 100"

"Connor Syme Crowned Australian Amateur Champion 2016"

"Jamie Savage finishes second in South African Amateur Championship"

"Scotland beat England to win Boys Home Internationals"

"Scotland tonight booked their place in their second European Men’s Amateur Team Championship final in the last three years, after a stunning comeback from Greig Marchbank edged out England in a remarkable semi-final clash in Sweden."

"The European Amateur Team Championship which took place from 7 to 11 July 2015 at Halmstad Golf Club in Sweden saw the victory of Scotland over Denmark and Sweden.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I'm sure the fact there are approx 25 million women in South Korea versus only 2.5 million women in Scotland is a contributing factor.

An alternative reason is written here, which makes some sense - https://nextgengolf.org/golf-culture/why-do-asian-women-dominate-the-lpga/
We have approx. 25 million women in England and Wales, but we are currently not that much better off than Scotland when it comes to successful lady professional golfers (maybe Mel Reid and Charley Hull). However only a small minority of those women play golf at all seriously. Maybe it's just a numbers game; if a lot play, then a few will be very good. Also maybe our teenagers want it all too easy and don't put the effort in. I know from my own experience that I have to practice a fair bit just to play to my 12 handicap.

Last edited:

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Seriously, what the heck is wrong with some of you?

"Koreans, Chinese and other assorted Orientals ". What on earth is wrong with that? Can you actually get paid to be" professionally offended " :D

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Usual amount of nonsense coming from certain directions. Here are some choice quotes after 5 minutes research.

"Record number of Scottish Amateurs in Top 100"

"Connor Syme Crowned Australian Amateur Champion 2016"

"Jamie Savage finishes second in South African Amateur Championship"

"Scotland beat England to win Boys Home Internationals"

"Scotland tonight booked their place in their second European Men’s Amateur Team Championship final in the last three years, after a stunning comeback from Greig Marchbank edged out England in a remarkable semi-final clash in Sweden."

"The European Amateur Team Championship which took place from 7 to 11 July 2015 at Halmstad Golf Club in Sweden saw the victory of Scotland over Denmark and Sweden.

Yes, but how many of these amateurs go on to be top pros? Maybe only Sandy Lyle, Colin Montgomerie (who were largely bought up in England) and Catriona Matthew in the recent past. Carly Booth was another outstanding amateur who hasn't really achieved her full potential, except perhaps as a Queen of the social media!

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mel Reid and Charley Hull have hardly set the golfing world alight now have they so to compare them to the Scots lasses is just plain stupid (or fishing for a bite). In fact I see a lot of comparison with Charley Hull to Carly Booth, very promising start which has not carried over into the professional ranks.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Mel Reid and Charley Hull have hardly set the golfing world alight now have they so to compare them to the Scots lasses is just plain stupid (or fishing for a bite). In fact I see a lot of comparison with Charley Hull to Carly Booth, very promising start which has not carried over into the professional ranks.

Charley Hull has won several LET tournaments, been winner of the LET Order of Merit and Rookie of the Year award, and has had some top 10 finishes on the highly competitive LPGA Tour where there are lots of Koreans playing. She is not doing at all badly for her age!

Last edited:

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
where is she on the leaderboard of the LPGA? All I see is south Korean and the odd American winning the big tournaments, so as a small nation I don't think the Scots or Welsh or Irish for that matter do to badly.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Seriously, what the heck is wrong with some of you?

"Koreans, Chinese and other assorted Orientals ". What on earth is wrong with that? Can you actually get paid to be" professionally offended " :D

Who said anything about being offended?

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
where is she on the leaderboard of the LPGA? All I see is south Korean and the odd American winning the big tournaments, so as a small nation I don't think the Scots or Welsh or Irish for that matter do to badly.

Charley Hull is currently ranked 37 on the Rolex world ranking system. Carly Booth is No 402.

D

Deleted member 15344

I'm struggling to understand what the thread is actually about ?