Car insurance

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It very much depends on gender, location and car. My daughter is 21, has a 9yr old Yaris, parks on a road in York, pays £600. If she were male, in a Corsa, in a less pleasant location, it may well be in the £3k territory.

It's a numbers game and there is a reason it costs younger people more.

When I swapped cars recently the Kia was £65 cheaper (ofc they charged me £20 for the pleasure) than the vauxhall

But on the flip side the Kona was £125 more than the Alhambra (again charger £20)

So actual insurance wise I paid £1750 for the Corsa and the Alhambra

So in reality should be £1810 to insure the Kia and the Hyundai

Don't get me wrong that's day light robbery with 9 and 6 years no claims. That's another con! After 9 years they say "9 is the max" so you stop building them. They just wrote 9 on my policy . It's actually 12. Well then put that missing 3 on the 6 then you cheeky sausages.

NearHull

Visit site
Annual LV multi car renewal arrives into Inbox. Both cars ( Fiesta and Focus) fully comp + legal + breakdown and recovery.

Price increased from £380 to £490. We are retired, but we have daughter on the Focus and SiL on the Fiesta to back up their work transport. To try to offset the increase in this years price, I asked for both of them to be removed, but instead of reducing the price, it went up by £3 and £5 respectively! I declined the change!

Apparently, having three drivers on each of the vehicles spreads the risk!

Not quite how I assessed costs of risk in my previous career.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Annual LV multi car renewal arrives into Inbox. Both cars ( Fiesta and Focus) fully comp + legal + breakdown and recovery.

Price increased from £380 to £490. We are retired, but we have daughter on the Focus and SiL on the Fiesta to back up their work transport. To try to offset the increase in this years price, I asked for both of them to be removed, but instead of reducing the price, it went up by £3 and £5 respectively! I declined the change!

Apparently, having three drivers on each of the vehicles spreads the risk!

Not quite how I assessed costs of risk in my previous career.
With a 25% increase are you shopping around or asking for a discount?

NearHull

Visit site
With a 25% increase are you shopping around or asking for a discount?
I haven’t done so as yet. I do like LV, they get a high rating from Which and you also get discount for holding more than one type of policy with them,

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I haven’t done so as yet. I do like LV, they get a high rating from Which and you also get discount for holding more than one type of policy with them,
Had mine from LV earlier this month. Almost 100% increase but it was low last year @£142.
Have multi car and phoned for a quote for the other car @4.40 on Friday as they close @5 p.m. They hd all gone home!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Four years ago our joint renewal fee for two cars was £400
This year our separate fees are over £1k.

I wonder what has happened in those 4 years to have caused that.

Similar here. Mine was a shy over 1k for 2 cars now it's a shy under 2k for 2 cars

No claims increased and no claims or points since

I get things go up and insurer costs rise but it's getting ridiculous

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
£10 billion in claims a year is what has happened, insurers pulling out the market, less competition, too cheap rates to start with compared to other countries, expensive spare, cost to repair. Insurers losing £10p on the pound on motor insurance is what happened.

These answers are the same as ealier in the thread, nothing has changed, the above are correct

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have been insured by Yoga for the past 2 years but last week got an email from them saying they were unable to provide cover for the coming year as the insurers they work with couldn't provide cover. I went to a well known comparison site and Yoga came out in the top 5 quotes. They weren't the cheapest so now with Churchill.

PS - Only £307 so not sure what expensive machines some of you are wanting quotes for o_O

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I changed one Fiesta ST to another 2 years ago.
When I called my insurer to change they said they couldn't cover it so I had to cancel and go elsewhere.

Onto comparison sites and guess who offered me cover, the same company!

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
We are with Admiral, multicar with three cars. Two of the cars are insured for both of us. Last year we were £1500, which includes one of those three being modified.

We're about to come up to renewal so will be interesting to see if we need to split these up.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
With LV and did the trawl round to see if cheaper to no avail. As have sold the Volvo now don't get a courtesy car so phoned LV to see how much extra it would be and was £17, then asked if that was their best price and they came back with cheaper price than renewal quote and now with courtesy car . It's a pain you have to play the game

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What I have done in the past is to use the comparison sites then go directly to the one(s) I fancy.
Have saved a little money that way before.