Another car recommendation thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 18121
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18121

Hi all.

Summer time last year I bought a 2009 Suzuki swift sport as I turned 40, needed a car for getting to/from the station and for getting to golf at weekends. I went with something a little sporty just so it was fun as well.

Fast forward 6-7 months and our landlord tells us he wants his house back (2 days before Xmas) so we're currently looking for somewhere else to live.

The house we like is down a road that the council claims isn't really public highway.... You know the type, barely any tarmac, big gravelly holes, pot holes etc anyway, my new car really doesn't cope well with the road and considering I'll be driving it twice a day I may have to consider changing it for something else.

I'm looking up to £3k, petrol (as it's short journies) , robust enough to cope with a bit of daily offroading . Anu suggestions?

I've found a couple of Suzuki grand Vitara 1.6 petrols that would probably do a job, but £330 car tax is a tough pill to swallow....... Ford Fusion is another possible alternative ) especially as they have heated front screen for winter).... But very inspiring.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
could look at Honda CRV 2 litre petrol. Tax will be simlar to above for amything similar of this vintage

Hondas are being targeted round our way for their catalytic convertors, loads of them getting done. Not sure why specifically Hondas but am seeing reports almost every day on our local FB group.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hondas are being targeted round our way for their catalytic convertors, loads of them getting done. Not sure why specifically Hondas but am seeing reports almost every day on our local FB group.

Yes my dad had the CAT stolen from his Honda CRV a couple of months ago in the Tesco car park. I think they are easy to access, the vehicle is a bit higher and the cat is hanging down a bit. Also my dad likes to park his 14 year old car away from everyone else so nobody dinks the paintwork.

Re a recommendation, I would look at a pre facelift Nissan X-trail. Avoid the big petrol engine because of tax but they are competent off road and comfortable on it. Also if you get the Adventura you get heated front seats which is very nice.☺️

D

Deleted member 18121

How long is the road?
It's just under half a mile.

I went and drove it again last night to see if I'm overreacting.... Honestly it feels like I'm going to snap suspension components.

I guess anothr option could be putting on 15" wheels with a higher profile tyre. But I'm not sure it would be enough.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

I went and drove it again last night to see if I'm overreacting.... Honestly it feels like I'm going to snap suspension components.

I guess anothr option could be putting on 15" wheels with a higher profile tyre. But I'm not sure it would be enough.

I would be looking at renting a different house myself.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site

I also live on a truly awful lane. So I do get your plight. You won't be causing damage to your components most likely, If you are going at a reasonable speed it'll just be the exhaust/undertray hitting.

Even my track car was fine, albeit making a horrific noise.

Capture.PNG

D

Deleted member 18121

I also live on a truly awful lane. So I do get your plight. You won't be causing damage to your components most likely, If you are going at a reasonable speed it'll just be the exhaust/undertray hitting.

Even my track car was fine, albeit making a horrific noise.

View attachment 34430

Yeah I'm sure if I'm slow enough it'd be fine.... But it's the fact that it'll be morning and night 5 days a week that bugs me.

Is that a 200sx ? Looks lovely!