Can't score on stableford - rules on continuing play

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Stableford comp, if a player cannot score but continues to play out the hole, it's time-wasting but not against the rules (AFAIK).
Still stableford, if you lose a ball or send one out of bounds, could you drop a different ball in the fairway and continue with the hole? No score obviously but would this count as practising on the course?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Stableford comp, if a player cannot score but continues to play out the hole, it's time-wasting but not against the rules (AFAIK).
Still stableford, if you lose a ball or send one out of bounds, could you drop a different ball in the fairway and continue with the hole? No score obviously but would this count as practising on the course?
21.1b(1) The hole is completed when the player holes out, chooses not to do so or when his or her score will result in zero points.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
In the middle of all that thread you will find the response from the R&A relating to the second question.

In this case the ruling is very straight forward. "As he’s not followed the correct procedure by going back to the tee, then he doesn’t score any points on the hole. Rule 5.5a would apply as the result has already been decided."

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
In the middle of all that thread you will find the response from the R&A relating to the second question.

In this case the ruling is very straight forward. "As he’s not followed the correct procedure by going back to the tee, then he doesn’t score any points on the hole. Rule 5.5a would apply as the result has already been decided."

Thank you RF

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
I found the tone of that other thread quite troubling. I don't mean your tone (DM & RF) or that of the OP or Swango; you were trying to help and they were raising questions because they didn't feel it was clear. However, there was a third set of people who seemed to be beating on them for having the temerity to ask questions. That's how it seemed to me as an observer anyway. Maybe I'm reading too much into it. I really enjoy rules discussions but that one was not nice at times.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think there's a rule that says you have to pick up when you can't score in Stableford? I personally wouldn't object to someone finishing the hole - we are there to play golf and enjoy ourselves after all. I'd only object if they were routinely putting out for 9s, 10s, or something as that would be holding everyone up. But making your putts for a triple, or playing up to the green before picking up, I'd have no problem with that. A lot of people are way too officious with this game we call golf.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
There is a rule about undue delay. But unless there is a time problem, I don't see an issue with continuing within reason able limits.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'd have thought it purely a matter of etiquette to not hold up play (or if my group is being pressed from behind and we need to get a move on) - but if I can't score on a hole I see no issue playing to the green if I'm not on it. I'd be inclined to not putt unless it is obvious that having a putt wouldn't delay my group at all.

Swango1980

Visit site
Cannot do what he asked in the question (drop another ball and just play up to hole without scoring). Well, you can do it, but you get a penalty on next hole if you do so.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Cannot do what he asked in the question (drop another ball and just play up to hole without scoring). Well, you can do it, but you get a penalty on next hole if you do so.

Your question specifically refers to practicing on the course.
Clearly worded to elicit the answer you want.
However this is not the OP.

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm afraid the specific words you used in the question to the R&A rather set the tone for their answer. Your question doesn't match the situation in the original post here.

DickInShorts

Visit site
A lot of players at my club don’t record their points hole by hole in. Stableford - as they are only required to report the gross score for each hole - and the computer will work it out for them.
I have also often played in what I thought was a strokeplay event only to find when entering the scores that it was in fact a Stableford . I both scenarios players tend to hole out even though they may not be able to score any points - if they knew it was a Stableford competition.From what has been written does that mean that any player who plays shots on a hole after he has used all his strokes should incur a two shot penalty on the next hole?