Rules - Match Play and Stableford Combined match

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
And I agree. The T of C could say that anyone playing on the course cannot be a caddie for a player in the competition. But that is unlikely for club events.
Do they need to say that ? Surely anyone hitting a ball on the course, if considered to be a caddy, disqualifies the player they are caddy to once they are classed as caddy. The rules surely forbid that, or you would have caddies hitting putts to get a feel for their player, etc.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do they need to say that ? Surely anyone hitting a ball on the course, if considered to be a caddy, disqualifies the player they are caddy to once they are classed as caddy. The rules surely forbid that, or you would have caddies hitting putts to get a feel for their player, etc.
Good point and you could be right but I can't see a specific rule prohibiting a caddie from playing a ball

Steven Rules

Visit site
Try these.

10.3c
Player Responsible for Caddie’s Actions and Breach of Rules

A player is responsible for their caddie's actions both during a round and while play is stopped under Rule 5.7a, but not before or after a round.

If the caddie's action breaches a Rule or would breach a Rule if the action was taken by the player, the player gets the penalty under that Rule.

5.5a
No Practice Strokes While Playing Hole

While playing a hole, a player must not make a practice stroke at any ball on or off the course.

13.1e
No Deliberate Testing of Greens

During a round and while play is stopped under Rule 5.7a, a player must not deliberately take either of these actions to test the putting green or a wrong green:

*Rub the surface, or
*Roll a ball.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Our Saturday morning roll up is an individual stableford competition. However to keep things interesting each group of four will also look to play a 4BBB match. Plenty of scope for advice being given and a bit of collusion between those in a pair to improve their individual scoring, especially if one looks to have a chance of winning.

However in my experience all in the rollup know the score over advice and collusion and so are diligent in not falling into that trap - even when it comes to the order of play when both players in a pair have similar line putts and there would be a 4BBB advantage to one of a pair putting first to show the other the line.

The idea that each in a pair could define themselves as the others caddie to get round the ‘advice’ restriction has never crossed my mind and I’ve never heard anyone suggest it.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Try these.

10.3c
Player Responsible for Caddie’s Actions and Breach of Rules

A player is responsible for their caddie's actions both during a round and while play is stopped under Rule 5.7a, but not before or after a round.

If the caddie's action breaches a Rule or would breach a Rule if the action was taken by the player, the player gets the penalty under that Rule.

5.5a
No Practice Strokes While Playing Hole

While playing a hole, a player must not make a practice stroke at any ball on or off the course.

13.1e
No Deliberate Testing of Greens

During a round and while play is stopped under Rule 5.7a, a player must not deliberately take either of these actions to test the putting green or a wrong green:

*Rub the surface, or
*Roll a ball.
I hadn't read it that way before but am inclined to agree.