Cancelling a Competition?

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
So today my son and I played in our clubs Adult/Junior competition. Being down in Dorset it was pretty windy and wet. Got to the club at 8.20 for 9am tee time. The practice green was waterlogged and the club pro/owner was squeegeeing it.

I said to him is the compo fine as the greens looked soaked and he said yep all good as we were first off with another pair. We shot a 48 which was pretty good for 9 holes in this weather being an alternate shot format. Son was nearest the pin on the first as well which was a nice bonus.

We had lunch and left at 1pm and people were still teeing off even though it was not great out there. At 3pm he put up a FB message saying he had decided as the weather wasn't great he was going to hold over the scores and prize table and combine it with another event very soon. This doesn't seem quite right to me, I mean we may not have won but some Adult / Junior will have.

Obviously the scores from this round will be no good in the next round weather is a lot better and will have to pay again to enter. I mean a 3pm cancel is after the last tee off time.

Am i being unreasonable to think this is not quite fair or right for those that made the effort

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
It might be an urban myth but (maybe) once upon a time if 25% of the field completed the course the result stood. Also, how can it be combined? Pins and tees will be in different places.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It might be an urban myth but (maybe) once upon a time if 25% of the field completed the course the result stood. Also, how can it be combined? Pins and tees will be in different places.

I’ve witnessed a green keeper change the pin position mid society event for a nearest to the pin hole

Very poor

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Poor decision. Should scrap the existing scores altogether rather than combining with a different event. I'd have let it stand as everyone must have been out already and so conditions weren't going the change again. Shame for your son hitting nearest the pin too

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
If the course was playable and conditions weren't dangerous, then play should have continued.

If the competition is abandoned, it's abandoned full stop, for everyone.

Carrying over scores, whatever that means, is an absolute no-no whatever else happened.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
If the course was playable and conditions weren't dangerous, then play should have continued.

If the competition is abandoned, it's abandoned full stop, for everyone.

Carrying over scores, whatever that means, is an absolute no-no whatever else happened.

Excellent summary.

Completely agree

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
This year our seniors open comp was abandoned/stooped shortly after we finished about 1 PM.
There had been constant rain all morning and some greens and fairways became unplayable/ waterlogged.
My PP a 7 h/cap scored a net 67, scores still counted for h/c purposes so he was cut to 6,
I scored net 69 bang on the SS, so no cut:smirk:
It was replayed a few weeks later in good conditions , sadly both of us played absolute rubbish :mad:

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Money back or freebie always

We managed 18 holes in the summer at Robin Hood but after the third claxon just as we put the kit in the car. They cancelled it and refunded the £30 minus breakfast cob / gap / roll £25

Very good in my book and I'll support them this year again 👍

Ask the question 🤔