Caddy Lite review

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen (its good to type ladies now we have an official ladies section)

I had my first round with the Caddy Lite this afternoon and I must say I am really impressed.

I played with two m8's (off 3 and 4) who are inquisitive but not convinced as to what such a toy could add to their game. After our tee shots my doubles partner said he was about 100 to the middle and my 'toy' said he was only 85 to the centre, he went with MY toy and knocked it to two feet.

The third was a par 4 and after our tee shots I was 7 yards behind the 100 yrd marker (to centre)and my CL said 1 was 130 so I went up a club and nailed it to 3 feet. You walk off a green and the CL is showing the next hole automatically with no fidgeting or stopping.

Overall I and my pals were really smitten with the accuracy of the CL. I would advise anyone who is sitting on the fence to take a leap of faith and get one as it will shave shots off your round. One thing to point out is TRUST the CL, it doesn't get it wrong ... we do !!!!!!!

Roll on the 1st medal on Saturday

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Sounds a brilliant gadget. Shame my course isn't mapped yet and I can't get out early enough to do it myself. Enjoy it and I look forward to a report on Saturday night telling us how you ripped it up in the medal

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Impressive stuff......you thought you were 107, but actually you were 130.....scary thought. Not a prob at my course because we have 100 (red disks)/150 and some 200s too. My course isn't mapped (I don't expect) but I'd love something like this for when out and about, I'm a stickler for knowing the distance.

pjaz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sounds great, but the key is that you need to be able to nail the shot when you have the distance - and it sounds like you did.

You'll have a busy summer Mad, as everyone will want to play non-competition rounds with you to get a better idea of distances etc especially if other people are estimating their approach shots as inaccurately as it sounds we do.

minty18

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'd love one of these but i'm really not sure if i hit the ball consistent enough to warrant buyin one.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
You say it will definitely shave shots off your round...how much lower than your average/ below your handicap do you think you were as a result of it? It will be interesting to see what the improvement, which I'm not necessarily questioning, equates to in terms of numbers.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Initially you will have a better idea of the actual distance and not the perceived distance that is marked by a discs. I was told the distances at my course were done 'years' ago so now I am confident that if I am going for a shot I know I have the club to do the job.

I think having the right club gets you on the green and nearer the pin.

The 107 was going by the marked discs.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know that eventually I will get one of these gadgets, especially useful if you are playing a "foreign" course where you may be unsure of yardages.

What I would suggest however is that if you have any doubts about the distance markers on your course, check it out on Google Earth using the measuring tool. The quality of resolution of the photos is, in the main, outstanding for a good proportion of the UK. The marker disks in the fairways on our courses can be clearly seen.

As an example, we have some holes on our courses that have a stream running diagonally across them at driving distance. I have used Google Earth to measure carry distances from the tee. e.g. 198 yds on the left to 233 yds on the right. As it happens, unless you are big straight hitter (ooops), or wind behind (double ooops), then the best bet is often to hit a big layup to the right.

Having looked at the Skycaddy advertising blurb, I would guess that their overviews of the holes on the courses and "blade of grass to blade of grass" measuring is based on Google Earth technology or similar - it is that accurate.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd love one of these but i'm really not sure if i hit the ball consistent enough to warrant buyin one.

minty: Doesn't matter - I'm in same boat as you on consistency, but it's still a great help to know how far you're supposed to hit it. Inconsistency and inaccurate yardage are two error factors, and we can at least get rid of one of them. If you can afford one, get one...

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Having looked at the Skycaddy advertising blurb, I would guess that their overviews of the holes on the courses and "blade of grass to blade of grass" measuring is based on Google Earth technology or similar - it is that accurate.

Wrong unfortunately. They send a man down with a backpack full of clever stuff with a big Ball shaped rod sticking out of it and make a big play of not using Google Earth-style technology as it's not accurate enough.

If you hunt around the website there's a picture of said man with ball thing.

In fact ...here it is (scroll down)

http://www.skygolfgps.com/default_learn_more.aspx

'After gaining permission and insight from the local golf professionals, our certified professionals physically visit each course. They meticulously walk, map, record, and triple check for accuracy every possible target that might come into play. We know that you want the most accurate information. Our professionals only use high precision survey-grade equipment to obtain the highest possible accuracy of all data points on the course.

Less expensive methods, such as taking satellite images, are never used because we believe these methods are unreliable and not accurate enough for golfers. The result is a map that is both accurate and up-to-date, plus the added benefit of a professional caddie's experience. As a result, you end up with proven results that only SkyCaddie can provide. We work with each of our golf courses individually to provide you with the latest in course management.'

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

minty: Doesn't matter - I'm in same boat as you on consistency, but it's still a great help to know how far you're supposed to hit it. Inconsistency and inaccurate yardage are two error factors, and we can at least get rid of one of them. If you can afford one, get one...

agreed. I'm in the same boat Minty. Flub , flub,good shot- flub, flub, good shot etc. at least you'll get the good ones the right distance and make 'em count.

Also isn't what you're saying a little like, ' i'm not good enough to have a lesson?'

My course uses disks rather than markers and there's never a disk around to match up with the S.Saver when you need one(and I wouldn't have put them where they are anyway)

Roll on birthday time :rolleyes:

johng

Head Pro
southerndowngolfclub.co.uk
Hi Guys.

any one know if they take into account elevation changes at all? Our first is all up hill so on a map image 150 yards is a 150 yards (obviously) but it can play an extra 15 - 20 yards due to the climb. is this accounted for at all?

I believe some of the range finder scopes have elevation change wizardry built in to compensate for this. any info gratefully received.

thanks.
John.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
It does look interesting, one for the Xmas wish list I think.
I note that you get two course maps with it then have to buy the rest. Mine is already mapped so that's one, and I bet that gave them some work with all the hazard lines to map.
I was going to ask how much maps were but then looked for myself; £30/year unlimited or £7.50 each.
I think I would only do the £30 the first year, then top up as needed.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site

Wrong unfortunately. They send a man down with a backpack full of clever stuff with a big Ball shaped rod sticking out of it and make a big play of not using Google Earth-style technology as it's not accurate enough.

If you hunt around the website there's a picture of said man with ball thing.

My mistake BillyG. I was thinking of the CaddyAid Caddyaid.

I have actually been playing a course and the man with the ball thing stood well away from the greenside bunker as I played my approach shot! :)

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Good to hear your liking your new toy.

You hit the nail on the head when you say trust what it tells you, I still look twice at my gadget when it gives me some distances, I think "no way"