Busted. A Cheat Caught

mister v

Visit site
i would assume (always dangerous) that if hes made up his score then he would make up a person to sign for it. im just guessing here but i'll wager that the person who is down as marker probably doesnt exist or doesnt know that their name has been put dowm as scorer
There are always people out there trying to cheat the system, but doing it to win money off your friends or a board comp is really quite sad..... you never know what goes on inside someone else's head do you.

Leftitshort

Visit site
I doubt we're the only club this has been going on at. He simply got busted as someone thought it smelt fishy and the club investigated. I think it actually shows we are proactive at trying to keep the integrity of the handicap system and competitions. Definitely "standard behaviour" although I am sure it goes on. I think the question of attesters signing the card off has been raised as a result of this coming out by a past captain
How did the club investigate?? Just ask him. There is no way of proving this other than an admission of guilt. If he’s got the brass neck to do this, why wouldn’t he just front it out?

Swango1980

Visit site
i would assume (always dangerous) that if hes made up his score then he would make up a person to sign for it. im just guessing here but i'll wager that the person who is down as marker probably doesnt exist or doesnt know that their name has been put dowm as scorer
There are always people out there trying to cheat the system, but doing it to win money off your friends or a board comp is really quite sad..... you never know what goes on inside someone else's head do you.
If it was done on MyEG, not sure how that could be done. As the person needs to verify the score when logged in as themselves. Unless he has created a fake person on MyEG, to use as an attester. But then that fake person would surely still need to be registered as having a handicap, and so a member of a club or iGolf?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I doubt we're the only club this has been going on at. He simply got busted as someone thought it smelt fishy and the club investigated. I think it actually shows we are proactive at trying to keep the integrity of the handicap system and competitions. Definitely "standard behaviour" although I am sure it goes on. I think the question of attesters signing the card off has been raised as a result of this coming out by a past captain

I’m pleased this toerag has been caught but there’s nothing proactive about it. Its totally 100% reactive & only then because the other player lost the match! If he hadn’t lost would anything even been mentioned ?

Leftitshort

Visit site
I
There's a lot more questions to answer from this sorry tale. It certainly doesnt look good for Royal Ascot as a club.
I wonder how many more are involved, directly or indirectly, in this sorry state of affairs.
I don’t think it’s the biggest issue they have had to deal with over the last few years

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

For someone to attest to the score it needs to be sent to their App for them to approve

You can’t fake that

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If this sort of behaviour is as rife as some on here seem to think, then you should be 'proud' that your club has dealt with the issue. The clubs that should be ashamed are those that get accused of winning all the leagues, etc but don't check on their members
I'm not saying its rife but I am sure it must be going on at other clubs albeit the culprits haven't necessarily been discovered yet or it hasn't come out as it has at ours

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Could they just set up another person on their phone, another identity, another email address so the request for attestation effectively goes to him.?
Not sure if it's possible ...

Nah - would need to have a CDH number to be able to log into the EG app

the card needs to be sent to someone on the app or if using the clubs ISV someone within the club

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Ancient history. I believe they had an unfortunate Parton/honorary chairman. Not the clubs fault, I believe it was dealt with in the correct way. However they may or not have held committee meetings at the pizza express in Woking.
Not sure the Duke of York being our patron was the clubs fault. As for a committee meeting at a pizza express, not sure it ever happened and if it did haven't you heard of an off site meeting

Springveldt

Visit site
You can’t start a round until you are on site. He must have played, or at least been on site at the ‘other’ club. You also can’t submit a round for at least a couple of hours, so unless he a- sat in the car park, b- started it then came back. He must have played. If he played then how does the OP know it was deliberate?
I've confirmed a score from my house before which is about 4 miles from the course. I started the card at the course, marked it as I went round and when we finished I couldn't get a signal, think O2 must have been crapping out, the app just kept freezing on a white screen when I hit submit. The clubhouse was shut so I submitted it when I got home and it accepted it with no issues.

D-S

Visit site
As detailed elsewhere on here, we regularly get visitors playing and they get their cards attested by other people not present. We write to their clubs or iGolf (both player and attester) and expect them to take necessary action. We do not know if they do but we have had repeat offenders.
This happens about once or twice a week (3 times last week).

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've confirmed a score from my house before which is about 4 miles from the course. I started the card at the course, marked it as I went round and when we finished I couldn't get a signal, think O2 must have been crapping out, the app just kept freezing on a white screen when I hit submit. The clubhouse was shut so I submitted it when I got home and it accepted it with no issues.
I think you only need to register/create the card at the course, but then you can submit it later from anywhere you like. My mate has done this with our course, created the card before play, then submitted it from home in the evening and he lives 11 or 12 miles away.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Didn’t anyone on the Handicap Committee notice the number of GP scores being returned from the same away course time after time? I guess not as it was his opponent that felt something was amiss.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It is not "standard behaviour". Are you doing it? Are you suggesting that we're all doing it? Just because a convenient tool is also a convenience to cheats, it doesn't mean the tool is the problem.
It might not be standard behaviour in as much as not everyone is doing it. This does not mean that the tool is not part of the problem.
You cannot eliminate dishonesty but you can do your best not to facilitate it and the current system regrettably facilitates it.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
As detailed elsewhere on here, we regularly get visitors playing and they get their cards attested by other people not present. We write to their clubs or iGolf (both player and attester) and expect them to take necessary action. We do not know if they do but we have had repeat offenders.
I don’t bother writing to the visitors clubs, if they submit a GP card at our place which doesn’t comply (e.g. team event) I simply delete it.

Leftitshort

Visit site
How do you know this? Would the club get a notification that an ig card has been submitted?