Busted. A Cheat Caught

Leftitshort

Visit site
The OP said they were fictitious so I can’t answer the questions you have. However, GPS just needs you in the vicinity, nip into the car park on your way to work, and back, seems easy enough if you are so inclined and have willing accomplices.
I stand corrected. Thanks. It makes it ever more of a joke of a system. Hang the fella from the royal ascot flag pole

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
You can’t start a round until you are on site. He must have played, or at least been on site at the ‘other’ club. You also can’t submit a round for at least a couple of hours, so unless he a- sat in the car park, b- started it then came back. He must have played. If he played then how does the OP know it was deliberate?
"...after investigation the guy held his hands up."

He should be "persuaded" to hand back any money or prizes won from the roll-up groups and the club. That was a small financial fraud.
He should not have to endure any unnecessary scorn, but accept being held as an example and warning to all others who might think that this course of action is feasible.

Rehabilitation?
Something for the club to consider.

Visit site
This is standard behaviour because the new system enables it.

I’ve played a knockout match at our club, the chap had put in 25 cards in the 30 days preceding the match. His handicap went from 7.2 to 9.6 or something. When I asked him about the frequency of his scores, he said he plays most evenings and puts a card in every time. Does he really think running round in 2.5 hours after a 9 hour shift at work is reflective of his golfing ability?

He shot +4 through 17 holes. He hasn’t broken 80 in any of those 25 cards he put in.

I also played a club match last year, where the opponent clearly stated he knew if he played badly the day before in a competition that he’d get an extra shot for our match. He happened to “have a bad day”. This was something that was openly discussed amongst their team so each player knew exactly what where they stood.

Swango1980

Visit site
That seems like a heck of way to try and bring you handicap up - go to near and golf club and then start a card on the App

Also someone needs to attest the cards as well ?

If you want to manufacture your handicap you don’t need go to an away club - you just do it at your home club 🤷‍♂️

But it’s something that needs someone to help you
Unless he lives or works near the away golf club. We don't know the details, but I suspect it must be something like that, rather than a player making a specific long journey to an away course simply to create a fake score. If he actually did that, he should be getting points for effort at least :D

Swango1980

Visit site
Be inteested to know on what basis they could mount a legal challenge to a termination of his membership. As far as I understand it clubs can decide for themselves on who they have as members providing they are not descriminating on the basis of one of the protected characteristics.
Could be challenged for discrimination against cheats :unsure: :ROFLMAO:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’m surprised he pleaded guilty, the cheats I’ve heard about all argued the to$$ they were innocent. There must be more to this so we need full facts Homer dear boy 🤣
Agree with this - given how easy it is to manipulate this system, if he'd have just denied it and stated the high scores were genuine, I don't think it could have been proved could it?

Morfeen75

Visit site
There's a lot more questions to answer from this sorry tale. It certainly doesnt look good for Royal Ascot as a club.
I wonder how many more are involved, directly or indirectly, in this sorry state of affairs.

Last edited:

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site

I’ve played a knockout match at our club, the chap had put in 25 cards in the 30 days preceding the match. His handicap went from 7.2 to 9.6 or something. When I asked him about the frequency of his scores, he said he plays most evenings and puts a card in every time. Does he really think running round in 2.5 hours after a 9 hour shift at work is reflective of his golfing ability?

He shot +4 through 17 holes. He hasn’t broken 80 in any of those 25 cards he put in.

I also played a club match last year, where the opponent clearly stated he knew if he played badly the day before in a competition that he’d get an extra shot for our match. He happened to “have a bad day”. This was something that was openly discussed amongst their team so each player knew exactly what where they stood.
It is not "standard behaviour". Are you doing it? Are you suggesting that we're all doing it? Just because a convenient tool is also a convenience to cheats, it doesn't mean the tool is the problem.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
All the scorn dished out would be necessary, as far as I'm concerned !
He has admitted his guilt. He should accept being shamed.
Scorn serves the wishes of those who wish to expound scorn.
It does little or nothing to uphold the law or the rules and neither does it do anything to extol fairness for the future.
His guilt should be dealt with justly and fairly.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

It’s something that whilst is open to abuse needs 2 parties involved

The recent bunch that went round and won a load of opens after their HCs went up significantly - it was all four of them

It’s not really possible for one person to be doing it - needs to have someone attest the fake scores

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
There's a lot more questions to answer from this sorry tale. It certainly doesnt look good for Royal Ascot as a club.
I wonder how many more are involved, directly or indirectly, in this sorry state of affairs.
I doubt we're the only club this has been going on at. He simply got busted as someone thought it smelt fishy and the club investigated. I think it actually shows we are proactive at trying to keep the integrity of the handicap system and competitions. Definitely "standard behaviour" although I am sure it goes on. I think the question of attesters signing the card off has been raised as a result of this coming out by a past captain

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I doubt we're the only club this has been going on at. He simply got busted as someone thought it smelt fishy and the club investigated. I think it actually shows we are proactive at trying to keep the integrity of the handicap system and competitions. Definitely "standard behaviour" although I am sure it goes on. I think the question of attesters signing the card off has been raised as a result of this coming out by a past captain
If this sort of behaviour is as rife as some on here seem to think, then you should be 'proud' that your club has dealt with the issue. The clubs that should be ashamed are those that get accused of winning all the leagues, etc but don't check on their members