Bryson style putter

Fabia999

Visit site
Hi all,

The more I watch Bryson putt, the more I want to try his putter.

What are peoples thoughts on Brysons putter? Has anyone got/tried a 43(ish?) inch putter?
Does anyone know where I could get/try one?

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Phil Kenyon did a video recently analysing his putting stroke - interesting but no something most of us would feel able to copy. The putter follows that stroke so without the stroke not sure how usable it would be as it appears to be right up to the legal limits.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
When I saw his putting style I wondered if it was legal. Without going into the anchored, discussion it seems fixed against his forearm, and obviously both hands.
be interested in the thoughts of the experts On here re rules etc.
That aside it’s deffo not a style for me,

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Some do think it is anchored. Must have been looked at by those that decide these things.
Anchored means a third point of contact that is stationary, i.e. stomach or chest. The arm moves with your hands so it's not anchored to anything.

If I was truly terrible at putting and nothing else worked for me, I'd give it a try, but it would have to be a last resort as I don't really want a massive awkward putter sticking out of my bag. It just looks unwieldy.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I think it is blatantly anchoring, but totally legal. My local pro suggested trying something similar with my 34" putter, so the grip is only going a couple of inches up my forearm. When I focus on keeping the shaft lean angle the same as set up, my direction control is much, much better.

It does feel a bit like cheating to me, just because of how easy I find it compared to a conventional putting grip. But again, it is totally legal. Should it be? The guys chatting on No Laying Up this week thought not, and I tend to agree with them. But I hope for my own sake that it doesn't change :ROFLMAO:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Although its legal I've never been a fan of any sort of armlock putting grip.
OK, it's not anchoring but you are still using another contact point other than the hands.
And Bryson's putting style is just ugly...in fact, everything he does on a golf course is ugly.
It works so I cant knock it but, especially with the putting style, imagine how much practice you'd have to put in to be as bad as you currently are with a more conventional grip..?
Use that time to practice a more conventional grip and imagine how much better you'd be.....

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think it is blatantly anchoring, but totally legal. My local pro suggested trying something similar with my 34" putter, so the grip is only going a couple of inches up my forearm. When I focus on keeping the shaft lean angle the same as set up, my direction control is much, much better.

It does feel a bit like cheating to me, just because of how easy I find it compared to a conventional putting grip. But again, it is totally legal. Should it be? The guys chatting on No Laying Up this week thought not, and I tend to agree with them. But I hope for my own sake that it doesn't change :ROFLMAO:
I do something a little bit similar - my putter is 35 inches but I leave an inch at the end above my left hand which I sort of press into my left wrist. Feels like a much more stable grip.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Ive experimented with one over lockdown. Most off the shelf armlock putters are nothing like brysons, his has a lie angle nearly 80 degrees.

In use they do restrict the movement of your lead wrist, but there are so many more degrees of freedom in your body its not that much of a difference.

Brysons technique of locking as many of his joints to as near as possible full rotation still doesnt lock them as such as during the stroke many of your joints have to move.

Its not the eureka moment you might expect.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Most are 42" or 39", loft needs to be significantly higher than average so using a broom handle or belly style wont work

Fyi, Im 6ft 2, and 42" is borderline too long for me given the elbow rule...

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Many years I once tried one (think it was about sternum height) I reckoned that the amount of practice I was going to have to put in to match my existing putting style was not worth the effort and resold it (for a small profit as well).

There are two things you have to check - loft and lie. Loft because the forearm lock method means the a normal head would be delofted and lie because you tend to stand more upright and you still need your eyes over the ball.