Bryson Dechambeau...

dronfield

Visit site
His swing is reminiscent of Moe Norman who was probably the best ball striker ever. It's one plane and very efficient.
On Sky the other day they had Jamie Donaldson demonstrating the one plane swing where the backswing and downswing mirror each other (hense the name).
You would think it would be easier to teach/learn a simple back and through on the same plane, rather than a shallower downswing - what therefore are the disadvantages to this method?
Sorry if been covered on here before - just wondered if someone could explain in simple terms.

Rich

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Noticed that he spent a lot of time on the greens with a book / chart, unlike other players. I understood there to be new restrictions on these and whilst clearly the book wasn’t like the old “maps”, it certainly added to the time taken to play. I suppose this could also be part of his scientific interpretation of the new rules.

D

Deleted member 15344

Said at the beginning of the week that he'd happily play both tours and would consider a European Tour membership.

I really like the cut of his jib.

I believe he is already a member of the ET - joined last year ?

The main thing that lets him down is his pace of play - he is hitting Cantlay levels

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
No problem with him being analytical but the pace of play today was painful. Great win against a decent field and will be an asset to the ET on the proviso they can manage his pace. Surely it's time for golf tours to get tough on slow play

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
No problem with him being analytical but the pace of play today was painful. Great win against a decent field and will be an asset to the ET on the proviso they can manage his pace. Surely it's time for golf tours to get tough on slow play
I think the ET will just be happy he is playing a few events and rightly so, he is an interesting character, more so than the average robotic tour pro with limited shows of personality. Good on the guy I think he brings something different to the table and would be an interesting guy to be around. Very talented aswell, he does it his way which works for him, hats off to him

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
He does seem a decent guy but find him frustrating to watch. There he is on 18 with a 7 shot lead and the long debate about his 2nd shot which is just a lay up. I don't even think it was the decision to lay up that was debated but what to hit and how far. I do think he needs to sort that out.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
He does seem a decent guy but find him frustrating to watch. There he is on 18 with a 7 shot lead and the long debate about his 2nd shot which is just a lay up. I don't even think it was the decision to lay up that was debated but what to hit and how far. I do think he needs to sort that out.
This is the sort of thing I was referring to about pace of play. Granted it's there jobs but 5 hours + is the norm now and that's in 3 balls and when you spend as long as DeChambeau did on 18 it's easy to see how that happens. It would have taken a Van De Velde like moment to even come remotely close to jeopardising that lead and the lay up was hardly a difficult shot. I totally get he is almost OCD in some respects to his approach to golf and he is clearly getting results but I also feel younger golfers in particular watch these pros play and take so long to get round and go out and think it's the norm

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
On Sky the other day they had Jamie Donaldson demonstrating the one plane swing where the backswing and downswing mirror each other (hense the name).
You would think it would be easier to teach/learn a simple back and through on the same plane, rather than a shallower downswing - what therefore are the disadvantages to this method?
Sorry if been covered on here before - just wondered if someone could explain in simple terms.

Rich
Matt Kucher has a one plane swing, you will notice the shaft stays flatter on the back swing and follow through, it requires more body rotation to create clubhead speed.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Rich
It's all about what 'comes naturally'! Hardy (the originator of the One plane/Two plane description) does not say one is better than the other - he simply notes the difference, and adjusts HIS coaching according to the particularly attributes of the pupil's swing - irrespective of whether the pupil is a beginner, amateur, elite amateur or professional!

Here's a (poorly described) vid that might help. https://www.golfchannel.com/video/golf-fix-jim-hardy-talks-one-plane-swing