Britain's Best Putter, Northeast qualifier

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
...Being lucky enough to get a wild card entry, off to Moortown I went with my old Odyssey and my very new Odyssey. Could the putting God ;) that is the Hobbit come back triumphant?

Great organisation at a fantastic golf club - well done GM and Odyssey.:thup:

40 players started out on the strokeplay stage, with 16 going through to the matchplay - 4 to qualify for the Belfry in Sept.

Not the best of starts with an ice cold White Hot. But at least I made the 5 way play off for the last spot in the knockout phase. The challenge for the playoff was a nearest the pin from about 3 iron distance, or maybe about 60ft (Google Earth is your friend), and I knocked it to about a foot to just scrape in.

Being the last man through I drew the number 1 seed, Marcus at his home club. Early doors saw me go to 4 up by the turn but a 3 putt by me and 2 single putts by Marc saw a tight finish and a 1up win for me. What a fantastic putting stroke he has!

The next round saw me paired against Chris from Ponteland GC. The White Hot was now warming up a bit, and a good few single putts found the bottom of the hole on the way to another win and a place in the final 4.

The semi-final was played against Tom, another Ponteland player. Once again the White Hot was warm and the final beckoned.

The final was played against Nigel, a +2 handicapper and well known around Yorkshire. The White Hot cooled a little, and playing against someone of Nigel's ability it needed to perform. 1 down after 1 it was always going to be tough. I managed to stay with him, even halving some of the 1 putt holes that followed. Sadly, a 2&1 defeat was the outcome...

A great day out included the round afterwards, and only dropping 7 shots, including (embarrassingly) several 3 putts, was a fine way to cap it. Thanks GM.:thup:

gjbike

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Well done i did have lunch with you the guy from wigan, by the way thanks to GM for a great day and Nigel is a +4 H/C did play with him in the afternoon boy can that bloke play golf!!!!!!!!!!
All the best for the belfry :whoo:

Jaymosafehands

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Was also lucky enough to be there, but not lucky enough to get through to the last 16. Hobbit, your putting was filthy, and it was no shame to get pipped by a 'pro' amateur.

Really impressed with the Odyssey range, but it was tough puuting with a foreign wand, well that's my excuse anyway!!
Nigel who won was a top lad, and it's always interesting watching someone hitting a par 5 with a driver and a 9 iron.....he played a different course to the rest of us!

Many thanks to Elliot and the boys from Callaway, and to GM for a great opportunity.

All the best at The Belfy H, you enjoy it!