Books - what are you reading just now?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Nine Lives - Aimen Dean a MI6 Spy inside Al -Qaeda.

Eye opening book about a jihadi that turned into a spy for the British.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just starting The picture of Dorian Grey. tried it years ago but couldn't get into it. Let's see if the years have changed me enough.
I read it a couple of years back and enjoyed it…though I had previously been to see the Matthew Bourne production of it in the theatre so already had a feel for it.

I‘ll add. I read a lot of classic stuff that was published 100+ yrs ago and so I guess I’m used to the way novels were written back then…and so find reading them more straightforward than otherwise might be the case.

Last edited:

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Got Mike Bannisters Concorde autobography for xmas, only halfway through but so far its an excellent read. Also got the latest Andy McNab nick stone story which is up next once I've finished Concorde

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Working my way through the Jack Reacher books at the moment.
They are cracking right up until his brother starts writing them, at which point don't bother. Actually, the last 2-3 by Lee Childs had also started to tail off by the end but until then it's a really solid series that I thoroughly enjoyed going through.

D

Deleted member 1147

Nearly finished Eye of the Needle by Ken Follett. It was recommended to me as someone who loves Spy novels, but it's nowhere near the class of le Carre or Forsyth. No depth of character or details of tradecraft etc.

Any recommendations of any other good espionage writers/novels?

D

Deleted member 1147

Got Mike Bannisters Concorde autobography for xmas, only halfway through but so far its an excellent read. Also got the latest Andy McNab nick stone story which is up next once I've finished Concorde
Never really like Andy McNab, but Chris Ryan's The Hit List was a decent read.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Nearly finished Eye of the Needle by Ken Follett. It was recommended to me as someone who loves Spy novels, but it's nowhere near the class of le Carre or Forsyth. No depth of character or details of tradecraft etc.

Any recommendations of any other good espionage writers/novels?
Have you read the Mitch Rapp series yet? Originally by Vince Flynn and got continued by Kyle Mills after Flynn passed away.
And I have just seen on FB that Mills is handing over and some guy called Don Bentley is taking o er after number 22.

Gray Man is also quite good. Starts off a bit like the Andy McNabb books but develops from there.

That should be plenty of books to continue your reading for the beginning.

Last edited:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Currently working my way through the Peter Nash series by Nick Petrie, hes a modern "Reacher" type. First few have been decent if as is often the case for the genre a tad far fetched :)

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just finished Operation Black Key by Kim Hughes, decent ex military style read. His own story is something else, former bomb disposal operator in Amghanistan.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Finished the McNab, was OK, definitley the right time to retire Nick Stone, he's dragged him out well past his sell by date really. Moving back to the Dune series now, God Emporer of Dune next.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Found my old spreadsheet, obviously not up to date at this point ;-) IT just got too much to remember what is coming out, what I already have.

Reacher, Maxwell and king, Bosch are obviously not Agent stuff.
Weirdly missing Dewier Andreas, John Milton, Jack Mars, Ben Hope and a couple of others. I must have a never version somewhere (also lost) in the cloud.

Screenshot 2023-03-31 at 09.09.07.png

RichA

Visit site
After swearing I'd given up on them, and against my better judgement, I bought the latest Reacher instalment, No Plan B, written by Lee Child's less talented brother.
I finished it this morning. Possibly the worst book I've paid to read. That's definitely the last one I'm wasting money and time on.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
4/5th through ‘red storm rising’ by Tom Clancy

Bloody hell it’s good and the terminology used, tactics and mechanics of modern warfare are scarily accurately represented.

I’ve been having flashbacks to my old life due to it in a good way.

Cracking book.

Hope you enjoyed it to the end. It's my all time favourite book. I've bought it several times in paperback, kindle and audiobook and read it at least once a year