Books - what are you reading just now?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date
D

Deleted Member 1156

We have music, films, TV series.....so why not books as well :)

I am currently working my way through a few Bill Bryson books. For those not familiar, he is a travel writer who writes about his varies travels around the world in his own unique style. Genuinely funny and entertaining, they quite literally have me laughing out loud in places.

Highly recommended! :thup:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just a few pages left of John Buchan's The Three Hostages. Our hero Richard Hannay (yes he of The 39 Steps) has just been shot in his left hand whilst climbing a rock-face - losing the top of his thumb and had the top two knuckles of his next two fingers 'mashed' - and he's said 'drat it - what a nuisance' - and got on climbing the rock-face. My - they were made of stern stuff just after WWI :)

Next up probably Robert Heinlein's sci-fi classic The Door Into Summer - sci-fi from 1957 in which the main character travels in time from the future (1970) into the quite distant future (2000) :)

Last edited:

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm reading "Naked Empire" by terry goodkind. It's real throwaway swords and sorcery stuff in one of those endless series of books. I read the first one years ago and pick up the next in the series from time to time - I think this is something like the 9th one.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I am reading all the John D Macdonald books. Currently on number 36. Started with the Travis Mcgee series, and now on the stand alones.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We have music, films, TV series.....so why not books as well :)

I am currently working my way through a few Bill Bryson books. For those not familiar, he is a travel writer who writes about his varies travels around the world in his own unique style. Genuinely funny and entertaining, they quite literally have me laughing out loud in places.

Highly recommended! :thup:

If you love travelogues by bon viveurs, read some of the books by Stuart Maconie.

If you like culture, history, music, sport, wierd things, best fish and chip shops, real ale, pies, art, politics,local characters, good walks etc..... you'll love him.

Although you living down south for years, all of the above important things in life may mean nothing to you now. ;)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_s...earch-alias=aps&field-keywords=stuart+maconie

Read one and you'll read a few. He's a likeable character, considering he's from Wigan.:D

D

Deleted member 15344

Currently reading the Harry Pottet series - on the second book at the moment Chamber of Secrets

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Just finished the whole Jack Reacher series by Lee Child. Now moved on to the Nick Stone series by Andy McNabb.
Done both. Looking for a lot more similar stuff, hate stand alone books.

Had to start a spreadsheet to keep track of what I am reading. Currently following 17 heroes by 14 authors. Reading Stephen Leather's 'Chinaman' right now where they are just making a Jackie Chan movie of that. Before that I just finished the Luke Stone books by Jack Mars.

D

Deleted Member 1156

If you love travelogues by bon viveurs, read some of the books by Stuart Maconie.

If you like culture, history, music, sport, wierd things, best fish and chip shops, real ale, pies, art, politics,local characters, good walks etc..... you'll love him.

Although you living down south for years, all of the above important things in life may mean nothing to you now. ;)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_s...earch-alias=aps&field-keywords=stuart+maconie

Read one and you'll read a few. He's a likeable character, considering he's from Wigan.:D

Living down south has taught me to speel propurley :D

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Currently reading Philosophy For Life: And Other Dangerous Situations by Jules Evans.

I really do need to catch up on David Mitchells last two books (not the comedian). Black Swan Green and The Thousand Autumns Of Jacob de Zoet were truly astounding.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just finished the whole Jack Reacher series by Lee Child. Now moved on to the Nick Stone series by Andy McNabb.

You would probably enjoy David Baldacci's series of books.

I am reading Stuart MacBride's Cold Dark Ground, half way though and half of me likes it......police investigating gangland murders in Doric land....... dinna ken aboot that sort a thing goin oan like [that sounds a bit Geordie]:lol:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I dragged out one of my favourite books this week. I must have read it half a dozen times in the last 40 years. "When the lion feeds," by Wilbur Smith. It spawned two other books in "The sound of thunder," and "When a sparrow falls."

Wilbur Smith then wrote several other series around the Courtney family, prequels to the original book. But to me, the first 3 are classics.